All-Star "males - Minimize Exaggerated Or Theatrical Movements"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Fair enough.

What led you to contacting the ACLU and GLAAD? I'm not asking to question the decision you made, but to learn how you came to the decision.

I contacted them due to predictability and through the advice of some legal counsels that I turned to just for their opinions and advice. I know the USASF/Varsity and some other people might not be able to make the connections about discriminatory, but these organizations didnt have that hard of a time seeing the connection.

I have the organizations on 'hold' for lack of better words to see what is done. USASF/Varsity have withdrawn their statements thus far - I/We are just waiting for an apology and will think of the next step from there.

I don't know if there is an answer as to what led me there. Really I just asked some lawyer friends about the situation and they suggested it be my next step. They suggested I reach out to them and see what they have to say about it.

I contacted them due to predictability and through the advice of some legal counsels that I turned to just for their opinions and advice. I know the USASF/Varsity and some other people might not be able to make the connections about discriminatory, but these organizations didnt have that hard of a time seeing the connection.

I have the organizations on 'hold' for lack of better words to see what is done. USASF/Varsity have withdrawn their statements thus far - I/We are just waiting for an apology and will think of the next step from there.

I don't know if there is an answer as to what led me there. Really I just asked some lawyer friends about the situation and they suggested it be my next step. They suggested I reach out to them and see what they have to say about it.
What exactly did the organizations tell you about the situation?

Thanks for the answer.

What exactly did the organizations tell you about the situation?

I don't want to get too specific, but they are all doing their parts in researching the situation further. I will keep everyone in the loop as I learn more.

UltimateRudags I'm glad you took a stand and made some contacts. An unfortunate wording situation was made on behave of USASF. Whether they meant to or not it was hurtful. These organizations maybe able to help so this type situation does not happen again.

My boyfriend didn't realize why this statement was so offensive until I explained it like this.

I coach children between the ages of 6 and 12. If this "standard" is upheld, the burden of explaining a lot of deep stuff falls on my shoulders. I then have to tell the little boys that I coach why it is unacceptable for them to fly even though they are the smallest on the team. Why they aren't allowed to blow a kiss after their tumbling pass even though their female teammates can. Why they have to go home and practice keeping a simple "athletic" smile on their faces instead of winking and making AEIOU faces.

When the question, "but why?" comes up, I can't say "because you're a boy," even though it's the truth. That answer could potentially lead to confusion and hurt feelings and then foster some horrible ideas of what is "acceptable" for boys and what isn't. That's not something that I want to teach my own children when I have them and also not something that I want to teach the children that I coach.

So then what do I say? These little boys are kids. They aren't going to see it as a general standard for their gender. They aren't going to understand that the USASF is doing this. Instead, they're going to see this as their coach being mean to them and not to the little girls on their team. What do I tell them then?

Ok, I'm going to try to explain my thoughts on this. I honestly don't think the board was was trying to attack the gay cheerleader. I think that this guide only applies to very few of the boys in the industry. Think of it as Elton John works and Libarotchi doesn't. The "should be male and female appropriate" line I feel means boys should not be flying stunts and baskets. I wish there had been more explanation on the thinking behind these Image guides and I don't see that these are rules, just the boards opinion on how things should be.
And why do you think guys shouldn't be flyers? Men have been flying in stunts and baskets since cheerleading was created so why change that now?:cow:

What kills me is by USASF removing it they think they can just let it slide like nothing ever happened. USASF really should of thought about what they were saying before they published anything! That rule is absolutely absurd and I hope USASF Is completely ashamed of themselves. Like many others have said cheer has been an outlet for many people to be who they truly are. I hope everyone goes out on that worlds mat and shimmies their little hearts out like they never have before!
Or the should have done the usual, let coaches and gym owners vote on rules for now on.

That is what I am thinking. None of us really know what the board was thinking when they created all of this. And if we think they are all stupid and would get easily pinned into something like that, then we are mistaken.

Also they could argue that they are trying to move to the sport into an area that highlights the SKILLS not the PERFORMANCE. This is evidenced by all of their other guidelines. This is supposed to more of an athletic sport instead of a performing art.
But when an an athlete is on taht mat they are performing, yes they are an athlete but how exactly would the show off energy and give a good routine if they have no expression on they're face what so ever, maybe focus and determination but they would be all.

Back