All-Star Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 4, 2014
I cheer for allstar and high school and this is gonna sound really crazy, but I have a mental block on my roundoffs (mostly because I did one on the gym floor at school because my coach asked me to and I forgot the gym floor was dead floor and it did not end well) and I'm a level 4 athlete, so my coach is a little aggravated at me because I try to suck it up and throw them but I still get freaked out about falling on my face when I have to "smack" my ankles together before ending the roundoff.
We have our first competition in a few days and I don't want my place to be switched with another girl because I know I can do them, but when I have to do them, I can't do them right without worrying about smashing my face on the floor.
Any advice?

I understand your worry, there are multiple threads about mental blocks and how to overcome them. Use the search bar to find them.
I usually find that it helps not to stress it, work on other skills (to keep from getting "stuck" on a skill,if that makes sense), different floor (spring, trampoline, rod, airtrack whatever you got and is comfartable with) just to trick your mind to go around it. Also visualisation is really helpful!
Good luck!

I cheer for allstar and high school and this is gonna sound really crazy, but I have a mental block on my roundoffs (mostly because I did one on the gym floor at school because my coach asked me to and I forgot the gym floor was dead floor and it did not end well) and I'm a level 4 athlete, so my coach is a little aggravated at me because I try to suck it up and throw them but I still get freaked out about falling on my face when I have to "smack" my ankles together before ending the roundoff.
We have our first competition in a few days and I don't want my place to be switched with another girl because I know I can do them, but when I have to do them, I can't do them right without worrying about smashing my face on the floor.
Any advice?
Hi there! I'm a mental toughness coach and help cheerleaders with blocks. Great advice above- try not to stress. Additionally, try to break the skill down into the cue words to execute and focus on those. Before you go, breath in a feeling of calm or confidence, whatever you need, tell yourself you can do it, it's no big deal (and any other positive thoughts) and go for it focusing on your cues when you go. You may also want to do some drills/break down the skill if your coach is willing to do that (or maybe at open gym). Message me with any other questions!

There are soooooooooo many threads on this. If you search "mental block" or "tumbling help" you should be able to find everything you're looking for!

I'm curious, with a round off block, can you do standing tumbling? I've never met anyone who has blocked on a round off and I'm very curious, since it's a basic building skill for tumbling. Are cartwheels an issue?

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, because I don't mean it that way at all!

I'm curious, with a round off block, can you do standing tumbling? I've never met anyone who has blocked on a round off and I'm very curious, since it's a basic building skill for tumbling. Are cartwheels an issue?

My CP has a block like this right now. Can do level 4 and some level 5 standing tumbling no problem. Even round off into a skill (i.e.. layout). She just can't add on anything after a ROBHS. It is strange.

Her coach is just breaking down the skill and basically reteaching it. She has been doing ROBHS sets like crazy this week and when she left for practice today she was going to try really hard to pull something out of a ROBHS. Fingers crossed - she's home in 2 hours!

What I've been doing (as a parent) is just to remain positive, don't dwell on whats not working and make sure she's still excited to be going to the gym each time!

Yes I can do standing tumbling! And if you could get an award for doing amazing cartwheels, I would probably win it. It's just when I attempted to do one on the basketball gym floor at school, something went wrong and I ended up smashing my face on the floor and cut up the inside of my mouth really bad and ever since I've been really afraid of doing them!
And don't worry, you're not being rude!

Break everything down to its basics and essentially start again. If it's just roundoffs you're struggling with, then focus on the technique of a roundoff and basically re-learn it. Try not to worry about anything else, even though it's easier said than done. Practice on the tumbling mat and normal floor; remind yourself that this is the type of floor on which you've probably thrown 145793 roundoffs, not a dead floor.

Also, your coach's aggravation may be understandable I guess, but try to put this out of mind and work at your own pace. Do what you need to do and hopefully the coaches will understand.

I think visualizing yourself doing the skills over and over again can really help you. You've endured a little "trauma" for lack of a better word when you fell. Your allowing your mind to remember that trauma now instead of focusing on the thousands of successful round offs you've thrown in your life. Start visualizing just the round off, over and over again. See yourself executing them successfully and easily. "Feel the skill" as you visualize them and do arm sets while visualizing. Then start visualizing yourself tumble out of them. Do this all the time, before practice, before bed, etc. Sometimes watching old videos of yourself helps as well. I know it seems cheesy but visualization can be such a powerful tool. Good luck!

My CP has a block like this right now. Can do level 4 and some level 5 standing tumbling no problem. Even round off into a skill (i.e.. layout). She just can't add on anything after a ROBHS. It is strange.

Her coach is just breaking down the skill and basically reteaching it. She has been doing ROBHS sets like crazy this week and when she left for practice today she was going to try really hard to pull something out of a ROBHS. Fingers crossed - she's home in 2 hours!

What I've been doing (as a parent) is just to remain positive, don't dwell on whats not working and make sure she's still excited to be going to the gym each time!
Hi Carriejoe- how'd things go for your CP this week? The coach going back to the progressions is great- very important while dealing with a mental block. If she's still having trouble, she may want to break the skills down into the cue words (corrections) she needs to focus on to execute the skill so that her mind is locked down (if she's worrying during the skill, or if she just feels like she won't go for it). I'm a mental toughness trainer so if she's still stuck, feel free to send me a message!

I think visualizing yourself doing the skills over and over again can really help you. You've endured a little "trauma" for lack of a better word when you fell. Your allowing your mind to remember that trauma now instead of focusing on the thousands of successful round offs you've thrown in your life. Start visualizing just the round off, over and over again. See yourself executing them successfully and easily. "Feel the skill" as you visualize them and do arm sets while visualizing. Then start visualizing yourself tumble out of them. Do this all the time, before practice, before bed, etc. Sometimes watching old videos of yourself helps as well. I know it seems cheesy but visualization can be such a powerful tool. Good luck!
Great advice! I know not everyone is a fan of imagery (visualizing) but research shows imagery helps to create muscle memory as well as confidence. When there is a clear reason for why the fear started (a fall), you may be able to work through it by identifying the self-talk you have (such as "I'm going to fall again; I can't do it here; what if I get hurt") and tell yourself things like "I've got this; I'm safe; I did it at practice," etc. Even though surfaces can feel very different, it's important to train your body and mind to know that you have the skill and that you have the skill on any surface.

Update:
Yesterday was our first competition in Anaheim and my coach gave me this big " You're either going to throw it or you're not. 1st competition no big deal, I still love you and I'm proud of you whether you do it correct or not" speech and I'm pretty sure that was the best time time I've ever thrown my pass.
Thanks for all the good advice, it really helped me!!!
:)

I've had a mental block before, (and still do for that fact) and they suck! Just keep repeating the skill multiple times a day when you're able! That's how I've tried to conquer mine

I've had a mental block before, (and still do for that fact) and they suck! Just keep repeating the skill multiple times a day when you're able! That's how I've tried to conquer mine
Repetition is so important! When it comes to fear, you want to look at your mind as a confidence bank- repetitions and positive thinking are deposits and balks or negative thoughts are withdrawals...we want lots of deposits and very few withdrawals. Sometimes it's helpful to go backward with your progression (return to a drill, or a simpler skill) in order to continue to move forward. When confidence is gained at a more foundational skill, it can help a cheerleader feel more confident for the next step.

Last edited:
Back