All-Star Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Im so sorry this is happening to her! Do you feel like it's just the coaches bluffing trying to snap her out of it or do they actually have a team to move her to? You said 2 ..... Do they have a level 1 team? (Asking because if it's a bluff it's a poorly executed one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, I wasn't thinking moving teams. I was thinking being totally out. My anger dissipates a bit if that's the case.

Ah, I wasn't thinking moving teams. I was thinking being totally out. My anger dissipates a bit if that's the case.

I'm only guessing that because I don't know of one gym who would kick somebody out mid season because of a tumbling block. Gyms are a business.....they have to make $$$ to pay the bills. Kicking kids out doesn't put money in your pocket.

I'm sure they would move her to our J1 team. Not completely out of the gym. It would just totally hurt her. She's bonded with this team and they've had a great season so far. Last year and what started this whole blocking thing was she was initially put on a level 3 team (she wasn't ready) got hurt and blocked on everything. Ended up on a level 1 team mid season. Was really hard for her. That was a different gym.

I'm sure they would move her to our J1 team. Not completely out of the gym. It would just totally hurt her. She's bonded with this team and they've had a great season so far. Last year and what started this whole blocking thing was she was initially put on a level 3 team (she wasn't ready) got hurt and blocked on everything. Ended up on a level 1 team mid season. Was really hard for her. That was a different gym.

The whole thing is so sad though! I'm sorry.

I will say that if you are not actually going to do it, threatening to pull a kid every time they don't throw the tumbling skills is borderline emotional abuse.

I hate threatening full stop. If you're going to make changes, make them. But don't keep threatening beforehand. It's stressful and I don't think it works very well. But that's just my personal opinion.

Hope they keep her on the team and she kicks the block soon!

She did well tonight at tumble class and came out smiling! Here's hoping to her continued progression over the week. I'm hoping if she throws it at practice Thursday, they'll let her compete. Just trying to be positive for her. She was really happy tonight and her tumbling was the best I've seen in a really long time! ❤️

Pulling a kid from a team is definitely not an easy decision for staff, either.

That may be the gym's policy.

Ex: There are gyms that require Worlds team athletes to maintain the required tumbling skills for that team with the understanding that they will be removed if they don't/can't.

That doesn't mean it's easy for coaches to actually follow through on it.

Also, sometimes not being on XYZ team removes the pressure to throw the skill. It is stressful when you know you can't throw something, you have a comp coming up, and you're wondering if you're going to be a nugget this weekend. Becoming an alternate on that team, and participating on a team where you actually CAN throw something can sometimes build confidence because the athlete no longer feels like they're "chasing skills." (Ex: Competing on Level 4 and being an alternate on 5.)

Of course every kid and gym is different and I hope you figure out a situation that works for you.

We've done this several times this season (as well as past seasons) and the child is usually less stressed and smiles WAY more at practice. This is not an easy decision though, and is made with the athlete in mind. We usually talk with their parent first about the situation, and then all together. I would be upset if I was that child being moved, and they almost always are, but it has been in the best interest of the athlete's psychological wellbeing.

Frustrating. Yes. It has been about six months now for my CP. But she's pushing as much as she can. We have a coach that has a masters in sports psychology. She meets with her every week for a 1/2 hour and then has a 45 minute private with a tumbling coach right afterwards.

The most I can do as a parent is be there for her and pay. She wants to go. She is happy when she comes out. She wants to tumble.

Thankfully her coaches are understanding and there has been no move of team.

She's 11. Been struggling off and on for over a year with her level 3 skills. She has solid level 2 skills and is on a level 2 team which suddenly she's blocking on as of last Sunday. Won't even do a back walkover. No reason. She says she's just scared.

I've tried everything. Ignoring it. Supporting her. Letting her take the lead. Extra privates. At this point she's going to get pulled from her team (the coach has told me this and Told CP this as well) I'm not sure that helped anything.

I'm just sick... We have spent so much money (that we really didn't have )this year transitioning her to a new gym because that's what she wanted. Have paid for all these travel comps... New uniform, hotels, etc... For her to get pulled. I feel like I'm gonna throw up.

I didn't say any of this to CP. I'm just venting here. Thanks for listening. :(

I know it's frustrating!! Have you tried working on her mental skills? PM me if you want to talk/know more about what that actually means!!

Frustrating. Yes. It has been about six months now for my CP. But she's pushing as much as she can. We have a coach that has a masters in sports psychology. She meets with her every week for a 1/2 hour and then has a 45 minute private with a tumbling coach right afterwards.

The most I can do as a parent is be there for her and pay. She wants to go. She is happy when she comes out. She wants to tumble.

Thankfully her coaches are understanding and there has been no move of team.
That's so great that you have someone there with a degree in sport psych- have they all ever had a session together? I've found it helpful to be there with the cheerleader during the private so that if they get stuck, we can work through it, in the moment.

That's so great that you have someone there with a degree in sport psych- have they all ever had a session together? I've found it helpful to be there with the cheerleader during the private so that if they get stuck, we can work through it, in the moment.

She (sports psych) is on the floor during their private and I know the two coaches discuss what took place in the session before each tumbling session. I do feel very fortunate to have the opportunity for her to work through this in this fashion.

Question. She is doing her standing tumbling but still blocking on her running passes. If she omits her pass in the routine, is that a deduction?

Question. She is doing her standing tumbling but still blocking on her running passes. If she omits her pass in the routine, is that a deduction?

We had an athlete do this Saturday and weren't deducted for it. They have no way of knowing what was written into the routine, as long as she doesn't just run across the floor doing nothing. Our coaches had the athlete blocking go around the perimeter of the floor to get to her next spot and no one knew the difference. As long as the team has enough running passes it shouldn't effect the score.

We had child join our team midseason from a higher level team due to a tumbling block and honestly I think it was the best thing the gym could have done for her. I have watched her go from being constantly stressed every time she walks in to being a happy, social contributing member of a team. She has gotten a lot of her tumbling back and is throwing everything she needs for our level ,and working on getting the rest back.

Back