All-Star Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would think that an obvious tumbling omission would be reflected in execution score.

Last edited:
Question. She is doing her standing tumbling but still blocking on her running passes. If she omits her pass in the routine, is that a deduction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is only a deduction if she falls. However, if she doesn't throw level appropriate skills, it could affect the overall score for the team ( depending in part on how many others on the team are throwing level appropriate skills). If she throws her pass with someone else and they are not the same, in time, etc. this will also affect overall score. In general, it would be better to not throw the pass than to bust it completely. Depending on the routine, they may be able to have her skip the pass and get to her spot in a discrete manner.

I wish there was a magical cure... So sad and frustrated for my CP.

Wow...shocks me that they would threaten to move an 11 yr old, level 2 on the first day of a block! My daughter has been working through her block for 5 months now, and not once was this ever suggested. As a matter of fact, I asked if this was a possibility and her coaches and the program director all responded that they would NEVER do that to an 11 year old child, unless she made the request to switch to a lower level herself. Her team coaches have been very supportive. Now, I am sure our Worlds teams may need to consider these things, but that is a different scenario, with much older and more mature athletes with more at stake.
That being said, I think there is a difference between a club that removes a blocking kid at 11 yrs old because they are concerned with the scoresheet, and a club that does it because they feel it may free the child of some pressure and stress while dealing with the block (and in many cases, I absolutely believe it could definately help the child rather than hinder). What does it say about our society when winning and being number 1 at 11 years old is so darn important?

Last edited:
Wow...shocks me that they would threaten to move an 11 yr old, level 2 on the first day of a block! My daughter has been working through her block for 5 months now, and not once was this ever suggested. As a matter of fact, I asked if this was a possibility and her coaches and the program director all responded that they would NEVER do that to an 11 year old child, unless she made the request to switch to a lower level herself. Her team coaches have been very supportive. Now, I am sure our Worlds teams may need to consider these things, but that is a different scenario, with much older and more mature athletes with more at stake.
That being said, I think there is a difference between a club that removes a blocking kid at 11 yrs old because they are concerned with the scoresheet, and a club that does it because they feel it may free the child of some pressure and stress while dealing with the block (and in many cases, I absolutely believe it could definately help the child rather than hinder). What does it say about our society when winning and being number 1 at 11 years old is so darn important?

They are really trying for a summit bid so, although I don't like it for CP, I do understand why they felt like they might need to pull her. Although we won our division this weekend, they didn't get a bid. We compete again in 2 weeks. I'm hoping CP will pull it together by then. If not, hopefully they can choreograph it where it's not so obvious that she's not doing her running tumbling. It's a large team so I think they can hide her.

Last edited:
I so feel you. We're at a new program this year. CP tried out with level 4 running tumbling and level 3 standing. She was placed on a level 3 team (was 4 last year) and she is happy with her placement.

In October, new gym tumbling instructors decided to fix her set in running tumbling. CP busted, and she hasn't thrown her tumbling since. It's incredibly frustrating. She's taking extra tumbling, but it's just not happening. She realizes that at this point, her only option for next year may be 4.2, and she says she'd rather quit than drop further down. There's nothing I can say or do to help her.

So sad for your CP. I know how hard it is to have a mental block (back in my cheer days mine was so bad I actually went to a therapist). Not sure if you're looking for advice, I'm the mental block coach all the girls come to at my gym when they are struggling with one lol. My biggest advice is to have her go outside and practice her tumbling, even if it's just cartwheels, handstands, round offs, etc. Skills that she feels confident in to do. Make sure she does this everyday. Even though she's not practicing her L3 skills it's amazing how just practicing any tumbling everyday will help with mental blocks. Hope everything works out for your daughter :)

sad that the coach is thinking about removing her...pressure is the worst thing for mental blocks

Back