Need Your Help!! Advice On "conditioning During Practice"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 30, 2012
Hi!! Need your help/advice on this subject...I had a mom take her child out of practice tonight, because she felt that we were using "Corporal punishment" on the team and that it is "Against the law" to do so. Does anyone else give out frog jumps, sit ups, push ups, etc to teams for 1) dropping stunts 2) not standing clean 3) not listening? We had a coach tonight that gave out push ups and sit ups to his team because they were not standing clean, and were being lazy....I have a meeting with this mom tomorrow, and although I understand her concerns, I would like to have some information with me regarding how other gyms handle "punishment"? Also...if there is anyone out there that gives "Positive" reinforcements for dropping stunts, etc and it works...PLEASE let me know!! Thanks SO much!!:)

Every gym we've been at has done conditioning. If CP and the team had an especially bad practice they would get extra conditioning. I had the same thing when I did sports as a kid.

The only time we had an issue was last year when as parents many of us decided to take our young CP's home early from a Sunday competition 4 hours from home. Since the coaches couldn't punish the parents they punished the team. Most of the kids were 6,7,8 yrs old and had school in the am so keeping them out till midnight wouldn't work.

Conditioning for practice or having a bad practice is fine. Excessive conditioning as punishment is pushing it.

Good luck

Old gym push ups. Girls did a bunch of cheater style push ups. New gyms, planks all around. Actually, old gym, ran laps and did push ups. They switched it up sometimes. Absolutely, positively. Old gym, they'd drop a stunt, the coach didn't have to say anything, they'd drop or start running.

Conditioning is a standard warm up in our gym... Dropped stunts earn you more stunts, or more basic stunts that condition our athlete such as prep show and go's... Or squish to prep 5 times for lower level athletes...

We set a goal of hitting a certain amount in a row before moving on... If they do 4 but drop the 5th, they start from 1 again. They usually bust their butts to save it.... Reward can also be a water break

Old gym and new gym they both conditioned.

If they were having a really bad practice or a lot talking at the old gym then they would stop practice to condition (everyone)

New gym only the offenders condition a lot. Usually laps- my cp is a frequent offender. Every single practice she runs but instead of her running them during practice they make them run at the end.
My daughter is usually at practice an extra 30 mins to run 50 laps. It's cool; its for little things. If the kids that usually don't run get 50 laps some of them cry. My cp never cries over running- she comes out with a big smile on her face. The coach told her she should run track since she has to run every practice lol. My kid loves running!!!!

I feel it's nice that they condition them after practice because I don't want their practice time to be wasted. They do other types of conditioning just because for everyone but laps are usually punishment.

I'm 100% ok as a parent of a 7 year old with all normal conditioning and punishment conditioning! It never hurt anyone!!:)

Hi!! Need your help/advice on this subject...I had a mom take her child out of practice tonight, because she felt that we were using "Corporal punishment" on the team and that it is "Against the law" to do so. Does anyone else give out frog jumps, sit ups, push ups, etc to teams for 1) dropping stunts 2) not standing clean 3) not listening? We had a coach tonight that gave out push ups and sit ups to his team because they were not standing clean, and were being lazy....I have a meeting with this mom tomorrow, and although I understand her concerns, I would like to have some information with me regarding how other gyms handle "punishment"? Also...if there is anyone out there that gives "Positive" reinforcements for dropping stunts, etc and it works...PLEASE let me know!! Thanks SO much!!:)

That parent wouldn't last long at my CP's gym. LOL! Two weeks ago they spent nearly the whole practice conditioning for all of the reasons you mentioned. I did hear some of the parents muttering under their breath, but since then practices have been much better. Honestly as a parent I am all for conditioning but I think it should be part of every practice. I can see why the coaches use it for punishment when things aren't going well, but there do need to be some rewards too. Our coaches use water breaks (lame - they need water breaks), games and theme nights as rewards.

I think it is pretty common to do some form of conditioning for dropped stunts, not focusing, etc. and I don't see anything wrong with it. I think you are safe to say that the majority of teams in any sport do this. My issue is when the entire team has to condition or get punished for one person or group issue. I have never understood the concept of penalizing someone for doing a good job/not doing anything wrong because someone else screws up, and I don't buy into the "team" reasoning for doing so. I know it is a common practice but it makes me crazy!

I think it is pretty common to do some form of conditioning for dropped stunts, not focusing, etc. and I don't see anything wrong with it. I think you are safe to say that the majority of teams in any sport do this. My issue is when the entire team has to condition or get punished for one person or group issue. I have never understood the concept of penalizing someone for doing a good job/not doing anything wrong because someone else screws up, and I don't buy into the "team" reasoning for doing so. I know it is a common practice but it makes me crazy!

And it is usually the same three offenders over and over again. I can't imagine that makes for a great team dynamic, but they do the same thing at our gym.

We make our girls do push ups if they drop their flyer- not strong enough to catch her then you must condition. As well as if they are misbehaving, (talking fooling around) I mean we cant really duct tape them to the wall. Honestly talking and fooling around ALWAYS leads to someone getting hurt- It makes me go postal if the girls are talking while stunting, or worse they dont have the counts right or drop a stunt AND talk while we are trying to correct the problem.

burpees, if they get in trouble or mess up they get burpees. they are an excercise that works out every part of the body and you literally can't cheat

and its not corporal punishement its just simply conditioning to become stronger. Conditioning also gives incentive for a good practice. If you have a good practice and do everything well then you know conditioning will be easier, but if you do bad then obviously you need conditioning to get stronger. What level is this girl that got pulled out?

I do not believe that it is corporal punishment. However you should be wise as how often it is used and the ages of the athletes. If you use conditioning as a punishment too much, you ultimately develop athletes who don't like conditioning and they won't take initiative to do any more conditioning then they have to do. The key is too much. It is just like constantly yelling at athletes. After awhile they just tune you out - hear and yet don't hear you.

I do not believe that it is corporal punishment. However you should be wise as how often it is used and the ages of the athletes. If you use conditioning as a punishment too much, you ultimately develop athletes who don't like conditioning and they won't take initiative to do any more conditioning then they have to do. The key is too much. It is just like constantly yelling at athletes. After awhile they just tune you out - hear and yet don't hear you.

Exactly this!

I think maybe "Coach Mom" needs to take a hike or learn to trust your program and its vision. I have found that conditioning for dropped stunts makes them fight so much harder. I always hand out conditioning to the whole group- they will succeed as a team and fail as a team, so they should condition as a team too. :)

For me, conditioning depends on the team. My S4 runs 1 minute for every stunt dropped during a full out (we do this once stunts are hitting consistently- not during the choreography phase of our season). It makes them fight for every stunt. Otherwise, I have problems with kids dropping the first stunt and then giving up more easily on the rest of them.

This might get me skinned alive here, but my J2 runs 2 minutes for anything lower than a score of 8 in technique/execution on a Jam Brands scoresheet (the lowest you can get is 7 unless you're a hot mess, and then it can be a 6-7). This team doesn't always stay focused on technique and can get sloppy, so this is something they condition for. They also do mountain climbers when I have to repeat corrections more than a few times.

my gym makes us run laps and redo the stunt until it hits perfect if we drop a stunt. if we're not listening or paying attention we have to do sprints or push ups or planks or something. THen the last 10-15 minutes of prctice unless we have a competition that weekend we condition, somedays its easier than others. depends on our behavior

Back