Need Your Help!! Advice On "conditioning During Practice"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This issue happened at our gym last nite as well. Only the girls ran their routine 3 times and the coach thought that since the girls had performed it for their family over the weekend and it was good that they should have practiced it better. The coach then made the team condition for an hour- frog jumps, planks, running, among other things. Parents were furious as this is the last practice before a competition and these are little level 1 girls- not older girls. The girls did not drop any stunts the coach just thought they could have done a better job. This is a constant reoccuring problem in this gym. After running their routine a few times the coaches feel they need to stop and condition for about 15minutes during practices.

This issue happened at our gym last nite as well. Only the girls ran their routine 3 times and the coach thought that since the girls had performed it for their family over the weekend and it was good that they should have practiced it better. The coach then made the team condition for an hour- frog jumps, planks, running, among other things. Parents were furious as this is the last practice before a competition and these are little level 1 girls- not older girls. The girls did not drop any stunts the coach just thought they could have done a better job. This is a constant reoccuring problem in this gym. After running their routine a few times the coaches feel they need to stop and condition for about 15minutes during practices.
Do they condition in a separate session? Is the general 15 minutes positioned as punishment? I think at least 15 minutes of age appropriate conditioning is important for any athlete to build the core and help them to advance their skills. Hopefully, it is positioned that the conditioning as a portion of practice "now time to condition so we get stronger". I agree with earlier posts - "extra" conditioning is sometimes needed to wake up the group a bit, but I also agree (and hope) that it is balanced with reward and not overused. Our gym emphasizes conditioning as part of a healthy athletic lifestyle which I like. But trust me - by the time the girls get older - extra conditioning as punishment pretty much become the norm out there. My daughters volleyball team once had to run 10 sets stairs because a girl wore nail polish to a tournament.

Do they condition in a separate session? Is the general 15 minutes positioned as punishment? I think at least 15 minutes of age appropriate conditioning is important for any athlete to build the core and help them to advance their skills. Hopefully, it is positioned that the conditioning as a portion of practice "now time to condition so we get stronger". I agree with earlier posts - "extra" conditioning is sometimes needed to wake up the group a bit, but I also agree (and hope) that it is balanced with reward and not overused. Our gym emphasizes conditioning as part of a healthy athletic lifestyle which I like. But trust me - by the time the girls get older - extra conditioning as punishment pretty much become the norm out there. My daughters volleyball team once had to run 10 sets stairs because a girl wore nail polish to a tournament.
Oh but meant to say that an hour of conditioning for this group does seem excessive.

On cp's team, they usually have to run laps for dropped stunts. There isn't much goofing off on her current team. They also allow them to "redeem" themselves, so if the practice starts off bad, but the stunt is hitting at the end, they won't have to run.

I've also seen them do push ups immediately after the stunt drops.

I would think that as long as it's reasonable, it's fine. I can only remember one instance (in 5 seasons) where I thought it was excessive.

Every gym does conditioning. I think coaches should give conditioning if you are doing something wrong. If they are doing something wrong conditioning inforces them to not do it again.

FiveStarCheer everyone conditions. That's a bit of an over reaction IMO. Unless you were making them kneel on rice I would let Suzies mom know that the extra conditioning is not strictly discipline but for strength training. We condition regularly and it makes a big difference in the athletes level of ability. She'd hate it at our gym I'm afraid.

Has the issue been resolved yet?

When running full-outs if a stunt falls, you run, if you don't smile, you run, if you are loose (in the air and on the ground), you run, if you touch down, you run. Running at my gym is a "suicide" for each offense, so sometimes they add up...Kids accept it and parents don't mind either.

Side note: We call them "cupcakes" however as one girl on a team years ago mentioned that at her school they aren't allowed to call them suicides and instead use "cupcake." Weird, but true.

FiveStarCheer everyone conditions. That's a bit of an over reaction IMO. Unless you were making them kneel on rice I would let Suzies mom know that the extra conditioning is not strictly discipline but for strength training. We condition regularly and it makes a big difference in the athletes level of ability. She'd hate it at our gym I'm afraid.

Has the issue been resolved yet?
I absolutely agree with you, though I do not, nor have I ever worked/coached at a gym, stirctly Rec and MS; the first thing in addressing a parent is to let them know that there is no punishment.....punishment is when I call a parent in and give them a warning as to their child's behavior and for the second offense, they are off the team. That being said, conditioning is imperative to this sport. It is not possible to do all the things required without focus, and endurance. One of the things I hate seeing is after a 2:30 routine, the girls are ready to pass out. I much rather see the excitement and celebration knowing that they did a great job, instead of that "we barely made it and I need to passout now" look. The only way this is accomplished is through conditioning. The only reason the parents/children may see it as a punishment, is becase it usually follows a mistake. Which is fine, but if it is becoming a problem, make conditioning a standard part of practice. Start runthroughs, and after each one, have the girls as a team do something: run, jacks, crunches, etc. take a 2:30 break get some water, and then do the same process over. This may alleviate some of the parental moaning and complaining......

And it is usually the same three offenders over and over again. I can't imagine that makes for a great team dynamic, but they do the same thing at our gym.
I completely understand how you ladies feel....but first, stop looking at it as punishment.....secondly: it is a team sport, some how you all have to learn to work together as a TEAM. either on your routine and stunting, or conditioning....You can only achieve your goals as a team. Maybe having a sit down (circle-up) and talk to each other and express how you feel may get these girls to step up....Give it a shot, it usually works wonders!

I realize that the parent is seeing conditioning as some form of corporal punishment, and breaking that image will be easy, but I hope that you decide to reinforce your program vision and goals with the parent. They need to realize that they made the choice to come to your gym for a reason. And in making that choice, they knew what it came with (including the institution of discipline).

My cp's gym conditions and even runs usually every practice. There are often penalties if a stunt drops or if a flyer can't hold her stunt. Sometimes the stunt group has to do burpees and sometimes the team had to do another full out if someone doesn't hit their tumbling. They also call out each individual cheerleader to redo their pass if they don't stick their tumbling. Usually by then, kids are rooting and cheering on the kids who are struggling. So in that sense it can actually foster a supportive environment and creates a stronger team bond.

I absolutely agree with you, though I do not, nor have I ever worked/coached at a gym, stirctly Rec and MS; the first thing in addressing a parent is to let them know that there is no punishment.....punishment is when I call a parent in and give them a warning as to their child's behavior and for the second offense, they are off the team. That being said, conditioning is imperative to this sport. It is not possible to do all the things required without focus, and endurance. One of the things I hate seeing is after a 2:30 routine, the girls are ready to pass out. I much rather see the excitement and celebration knowing that they did a great job, instead of that "we barely made it and I need to passout now" look. The only way this is accomplished is through conditioning. The only reason the parents/children may see it as a punishment, is becase it usually follows a mistake. Which is fine, but if it is becoming a problem, make conditioning a standard part of practice. Start runthroughs, and after each one, have the girls as a team do something: run, jacks, crunches, etc. take a 2:30 break get some water, and then do the same process over. This may alleviate some of the parental moaning and complaining......

We don't condition as punishment. Conditioning is part of our training regiment. We use technique drills to reinforce muscle memory for a busted stunt or tumbling pass. Last week we tried a new strategy that worked also (running for a minute for every bail out would increase their cardio time).

Conditioning helps us to teach discipline by pushing athletes past the point of weakness in order to become stronger.

Hi!! Need your help/advice on this subject...I had a mom take her child out of practice tonight, because she felt that we were using "Corporal punishment" on the team and that it is "Against the law" to do so. Does anyone else give out frog jumps, sit ups, push ups, etc to teams for 1) dropping stunts 2) not standing clean 3) not listening? We had a coach tonight that gave out push ups and sit ups to his team because they were not standing clean, and were being lazy....I have a meeting with this mom tomorrow, and although I understand her concerns, I would like to have some information with me regarding how other gyms handle "punishment"? Also...if there is anyone out there that gives "Positive" reinforcements for dropping stunts, etc and it works...PLEASE let me know!! Thanks SO much!!:)

I've discussed this with a lawyer, and he said this-that is NOT corporal punishment. She is throwing that term around, but it refers to a public entity. Schools are public, your gym is private. A school team may be accused of this if they did conditioning as punishment, but you cannot. The gym is yours. You can legally do whatever the heck you want there. If you tell them to paint their faces blue after dropping a stunt, you can. Would people agree? No, but they joined your gym and became a member. They have the freedom to move on if they don't like it. I know it would be a loss, but you should not be threatened by her. If this is how you think you are most effective, then I would explain that to her and tell her it is time to make a decision. If she leaves, then oh well. She will never be happy in youth sports anywhere if that is the case. I really hope this works out for you! Good luck!!

My gym definitely does. We had to do a 5 minute wall sit because a group dropped their top last year, but most of the time it's just pushups if we drop stunts or are really talkative. We condition anyways at the beginning too.

When running full-outs if a stunt falls, you run, if you don't smile, you run, if you are loose (in the air and on the ground), you run, if you touch down, you run. Running at my gym is a "suicide" for each offense, so sometimes they add up...Kids accept it and parents don't mind either.

Side note: We call them "cupcakes" however as one girl on a team years ago mentioned that at her school they aren't allowed to call them suicides and instead use "cupcake." Weird, but true.

do you know if that person is becca p because at my school we call them cupcakes

Back