All-Star New Age Grid Suggestions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I like this - but what about gyms that don't have enough 6 and 7 year olds to make a mini team? The 7 yr olds could go on a youth team but the 6s are left out.

I don't think that is usually a problem. Mini is usually one of the largest divisions at any competition.

I don't think that is usually a problem. Mini is usually one of the largest divisions at any competition.

Mini is. Between 5 and 8 year olds. But shrinking the age gap in half could leave some gyms that have to turn away 6 year olds. If the average mini team has 20 kids (which I think a lot are smaller) and 5 kids of every age then just 10 kids that are 6 and 7 years old are not enough to form a team.

Currently there are 5 age groups: tiny, mini, youth, jr, sr. Getting rid of one of the older 4 age groups is just not logical or realistic. The gyms who field multiple teams in all of those age groups won't be down for that.
The most realistic solution would be for there to be a floor on each age group and for there to be a little crossover (not crossovers) between each age group. For example, having the option to put a 14 year old on a sr OR a jr team would be the only way to have a floor system work.

So a tiered floor?

I think it is good but with it needs to be some sort of J5 going to worlds or some other big goal for the young kids who have the skills. My daughter is like many many kids our there who has level 5 skills, is 10 yrs old and is born in Oct....4 more years waiting to get to Worlds is an eternity and it seems to me some will burn out waiting or soon after. IMO

I agree. I get why they don't want Juniors at Worlds anymore, but I also think those Youth and Junior level 5 kids needs something special (like Worlds). I know many Jr5 teams treated NCA like their Worlds last season, but all levels are able to attend NCA, so it's not quite as special as Worlds. I've heard rumors about discussions of a possible junior Worlds of sorts - separate from the Senior Worlds. I'm all in favor of something like that....something big that's only for those elite level Youth/Junior athletes. I definitely think that would help keep those 12-14 year old L5 kids on the junior teams.

srs 12-18
Jr 9-14
Youth 6-11
Minis 5-8

Does anyone see a problem with this age grid?

Youth needs adjustment.

Seniors 13 - 18.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

How about:

Mini 5 - 8
Youth 7 - 11
Junior 10 - 14
Senior 13 - 18

Notice the overlap. Its standard. And no one could age out of mini and jump to junior OR age out of youth and jump to senior.

How about:

Mini 5 - 8
Youth 7 - 11
Junior 10 - 14
Senior 13 - 18

Notice the overlap. Its standard. And no one could age out of mini and jump to junior OR age out of youth and jump to senior.

We are getting closer, the problem with not having the complete overlap is that it forces you to have at least 3 teams or tell your 9 or 12 year olds to go away. Now were just talking about 1 year's difference that will cause that situation. Is that one year worth kicking out 9 and 12 yr olds? Is it worth splitting to 3teams when you barely have the kids for 2?

We are getting closer, the problem with not having the complete overlap is that it forces you to have at least 3 teams or tell your 9 or 12 year olds to go away. Now were just talking about 1 year's difference that will cause that situation. Is that one year worth kicking out 9 and 12 yr olds? Is it worth splitting to 3teams when you barely have the kids for 2?
I'm not really following why you have to kick out 9&12 year olds. Could you elaborate?

Under @kingston latest grid, 9 can only be youth, 12 can only be jr.

So if you only have a youth and sr you have to kick out the 12 yr olds. If you only have mini and jr you have to kick out the 9 yr olds

I don't follow your reasoning. If you have a junior and senior team in your gym under your idea Wed be kicking out the 5 year olds... cause you don't have a team for them.

Under @kingston latest grid, 9 can only be youth, 12 can only be jr.

So if you only have a youth and sr you have to kick out the 12 yr olds. If you only have mini and jr you have to kick out the 9 yr olds
Do you feel that the few gyms that only have that very small number of kids should dictate what happens in the industry?

Back