All-Star New Age Grid Suggestions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just reread your post - I'm assuming "they" is someone from the USASF?

If you are using average as 75 as the determining line as small and large your math will be skewed.
If the avg gym size is 75 then that would be the average medium size gym and small gyms would be somewhat smaller than 75.

Im confused as to what you are trying to say?

I disagree. Otherwise small gym wouldn't exist. People want rules they feel they can be most successful in. But you can't your gym be dictated by one athlete who might be not of age. It happens. Someone this past weekend said he had a junior team that went senior because of one athlete. An entire team had to compete up an age for one kid because he didn't have a team for that child. But when that first major competition comes and they lose on skills that older kids just perform better he will probably say he should have been small gym. My opinion he should have probably said sorry to one kid and make the others as successful as possible. Its a balance, but I think he risked all the others not trying to lose 1.

There will ways be situations that ex out kids for one reason or another. Its hard to please all.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

That was me ;) we ended up changing that. But we didn't set that at tryouts, we had 4 15+ girls on that team at one point and our other senior team was small. So we were in a bit of a conundrum, but we picked up a couple new kids and it worked out to move some people around and make the other sr team large. Plus Don't really want to kick someone off who paid in full for the year 3 months after tryouts. Ended up working out

Were large anyway, we have 86 kids

Perhaps the problem is not the age grid, but too many events diluting the number of teams to compete against.

I think that can be sorted out be defining what a competition can call themselves.

EP's can host as many events as they want, but how they are 'defined' must follow some guide lines. Each EP can only one have event called a 'Nationals' (with the word nationals in the title). All events that are called nationals to participate all entrants MUST qualify at regional one day events. Divide the US up into 6 or 7 regions and each event hosting a Nationals must have X number of events to qualify for a nationals.

Everything else can be called a classic or regional or whatever.

That was me ;) we ended up changing that. But we didn't set that at tryouts, we had 4 15+ girls on that team at one point and our other senior team was small. So we were in a bit of a conundrum, but we picked up a couple new kids and it worked out to move some people around and make the other sr team large. Plus Don't really want to kick someone off who paid in full for the year 3 months after tryouts. Ended up working out

Were large anyway, we have 86 kids

I am glad that worked out because I don't think that would have worked out well for you.

I still wish they had made the large non level 5 divisions 30 max team members. It would mean taking 21 into that divisions would still feel competitive to the coaches even before the season starts.

I think that can be sorted out be defining what a competition can call themselves.

EP's can host as many events as they want, but how they are 'defined' must follow some guide lines. Each EP can only one have event called a 'Nationals' (with the word nationals in the title). All events that are called nationals to participate all entrants MUST qualify at regional one day events. Divide the US up into 6 or 7 regions and each event hosting a Nationals must have X number of events to qualify for a nationals.

I believe that would be called "Utopian Cheer Society"
Sounds great, but, not a reality in our cheer lifetimes.

We are just disagreeing on all sorts of things tonight, uca is the only "national" that requires qualification around here, but the only regional arond here is also in Orlando. We don't want to go to the same city twice especially when there are at least 8 competitions within an hour from here. When we travel we expect it to be a 150+ team event not a regional. I don't care what it is called, there are big events and the are small events.

The only time last year that we had less than 3 in our divisions was when they split out large teams. So if the goal is more competition per division get rid of small and large and just have 24 but that would hurt the large gyms and the tiny gyms

We are just disagreeing on all sorts of things tonight, uca is the only "national" that requires qualification around here, but the only regional arond here is also in Orlando. We don't want to go to the same city twice especially when there are at least 8 competitions within an hour from here. When we travel we expect it to be a 150+ team event not a regional. I don't care what it is called, there are big events and the are small events.

The only time last year that we had less than 3 in our divisions was when they split out large teams. So if the goal is more competition per division get rid of small and large and just have 24 but that would hurt the large gyms and the tiny gyms
That would hurt everybody.

Regionals should be larger but only have the people from a certain area. I'd be happy if we had a universal scoresheet and one regional competition qualified you for ALL nationals.

I am glad that worked out because I don't think that would have worked out well for you.

I still wish they had made the large non level 5 divisions 30 max team members. It would mean taking 21 into that divisions would still feel competitive to the coaches even before the season starts.

We had 21 on our sr 3 for a while, and we had an 18 and two 15 on our large sr 2 but the kids with the skills were flyers and we already had more than enough sr 3 flyers. Then the least skilled 15 year old quit and we gained two new former gymnasts to be flyers on 2 so we ended up moving 7 people to sr 3. Our teams would have been really strong either way. What we have now works betterfor numbers and divisions, the old way was squad speciality pass through to tuck for 3 and squad bhs with vast majority with speciality passes

Long story short, team placements are complicated

We had 21 on our sr 3 for a while, and we had an 18 and two 15 on our large sr 2 but the kids with the skills were flyers and we already had more than enough sr 3 flyers. Then the least skilled 15 year old quit and we gained two new former gymnasts to be flyers on 2 so we ended up moving 7 people to sr 3. Our teams would have been really strong either way. What we have now works betterfor numbers and divisions, the old way was squad speciality pass through to tuck for 3 and squad bhs with vast majority with speciality passes

Long story short, team placements are complicated

It took us 30+ hours and 20 people to make our teams. Believe me I know.

Regionals should be larger but only have the people from a certain area. I'd be happy if we had a universal scoresheet and one regional competition qualified you for ALL nationals.

What's really bad is states, I'm two hours away from a nice big state competition in fl but we're in ga

As for competition, don't just look for it in your division most comps have level/grand champions, beat the 3 or 4 teams in your division and the 15 teams in your level

It took us 30+ hours and 20 people to make our teams. Believe me I know.

The original ones were pretty simple, we went almost purely on skill and then were deciding between about 7 people for the last 3 spots on sr 3. If you didn't have the standing and running skill for the level you didn't make that level. Now with the changes we've had to back off from that slightly.

I disagree. Otherwise small gym wouldn't exist. People want rules they feel they can be most successful in. But you can't your gym be dictated by one athlete who might be not of age. It happens. Someone this past weekend said he had a junior team that went senior because of one athlete. An entire team had to compete up an age for one kid because he didn't have a team for that child. But when that first major competition comes and they lose on skills that older kids just perform better he will probably say he should have been small gym. My opinion he should have probably said sorry to one kid and make the others as successful as possible. Its a balance, but I think he risked all the others not trying to lose 1.

There will ways be situations that ex out kids for one reason or another. Its hard to please all.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Our small gym is in that situation- we have one sr and its a guy while the majority of the team is 10-13, we compete as a SR 3 Co-ed- not sure coaches made the right choice but its not up to me.:confused:

Back