All-Star New Nca Rule. No Sandbagging!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I actually think this is one time where youtube might come in handy..at some point in the future, all USASF events must be videotaped. If someone insists a team sandbagged, they can go back to the events competed at and review videotape. If the team proves to be capable at their level and then dropped to a lower one, they can then be penalized. In the meantime, you just check youtube. I also think it's pretty obvious when a team is struggling at competitions and needs to move down a level. Is the tumbling wonky? Are the stunts wobbling and falling? Does it look kinda rushed and messy? Do you feel depressed every time you compete your routine because you don't feel confident you can hit it? If you said 'yes' to most of those things, you might not be in the right level.

I actually think this is one time where youtube might come in handy..at some point in the future, all USASF events must be videotaped. If someone insists a team sandbagged, they can go back to the events competed at and review videotape. If the team proves to be capable at their level and then dropped to a lower one, they can then be penalized. In the meantime, you just check youtube. I also think it's pretty obvious when a team is struggling at competitions and needs to move down a level. Is the tumbling wonky? Are the stunts wobbling and falling? Does it look kinda rushed and messy? Do you feel depressed every time you compete your routine because you don't feel confident you can hit it? If you said 'yes' to most of those things, you might not be in the right level.
I definitely agree with this last part, because this is what I was trying to say earlier in a thread. If there is a rule made that you have to pick a level and stay there, it would prevent this from happening. Even if there is a designated number of times you have to get "last place" to drop a level, I think that's taking a bit far. So the team basically has to feel completely awful about themselves to be able to drop into their appropriate level? And sometimes you get lucky at a comp and pull out a 3rd or 2nd against other not so great teams. That doesnt mean they belong in that level. My team did it multiple times. We try to bump up to the higher level and when too many people are getting injured and we see that our performances are no where near the difficulty they should be at, we regress to the previous level in order to be a competitive team, not necessarily just to win. but in any sense, isn't every team trying to win? so why shouldnt you give your team the best chances they have at receiving first place? (without all the sandbagging and etc. that is clearly not necessary)

I definitely agree with this last part, because this is what I was trying to say earlier in a thread. If there is a rule made that you have to pick a level and stay there, it would prevent this from happening. Even if there is a designated number of times you have to get "last place" to drop a level, I think that's taking a bit far. So the team basically has to feel completely awful about themselves to be able to drop into their appropriate level? And sometimes you get lucky at a comp and pull out a 3rd or 2nd against other not so great teams. That doesnt mean they belong in that level. My team did it multiple times. We try to bump up to the higher level and when too many people are getting injured and we see that our performances are no where near the difficulty they should be at, we regress to the previous level in order to be a competitive team, not necessarily just to win. but in any sense, isn't every team trying to win? so why shouldnt you give your team the best chances they have at receiving first place? (without all the sandbagging and etc. that is clearly not necessary)
I meant that even if a team is competing at a certain level and eventually drop, it's usually pretty clear by video if they're not meant to be there. So there wouldn't be an issue (are we agreeing right now and I just don't know it lol?) if say:

Team A starts out as Senior 4. They're aiming high, but people are getting hurt. Stunts are going but they're shaky and some fall, and tumbling is mostly tucks with the occasional layout. They've been going 4 for 3 competitions, but it just isn't working. They bump down a level the week before a major nationals, and they do much better. They remain that way for the rest of the season until the last comp where they go level 4 again just to try it. They're more successful, but still not a level 4 team 'truly'.

That to me is an OK scenario. If people are clearly NOT doing well at their current level (which is hard to tell with the amount of competitions. Just because you're 2nd of 3 doesn't mean you're AT your true level..), then they should bump down. If you don't have a very full competition schedule (which some smaller gyms DON'T), you should figure it out ASAP.

I meant that even if a team is competing at a certain level and eventually drop, it's usually pretty clear by video if they're not meant to be there. So there wouldn't be an issue (are we agreeing right now and I just don't know it lol?) if say:

Team A starts out as Senior 4. They're aiming high, but people are getting hurt. Stunts are going but they're shaky and some fall, and tumbling is mostly tucks with the occasional layout. They've been going 4 for 3 competitions, but it just isn't working. They bump down a level the week before a major nationals, and they do much better. They remain that way for the rest of the season until the last comp where they go level 4 again just to try it. They're more successful, but still not a level 4 team 'truly'.

That to me is an OK scenario. If people are clearly NOT doing well at their current level (which is hard to tell with the amount of competitions. Just because you're 2nd of 3 doesn't mean you're AT your true level..), then they should bump down. If you don't have a very full competition schedule (which some smaller gyms DON'T), you should figure it out ASAP.

The reason I would base it off of placement (the details can be adjusted- last, bottom half, etc) is that it is easily verifiable and objective.

yes, we are definitely agreeing haha

If this was true I'd do my best to make sure the entire country knew about it!
Blunchin posted it on the boards when it happened. I believe the responses were how terrible it was and what a shame nothing could be done about it...at least now steps are being made in order to prevent this from happening to others. The looks on the heartbroken girls faces and their tears asking how the team that won could be allowed to do something like that...UGH

I know of a gym that not only sandbagged in their division they entered as "small gym" when they were not...hmmmmmm

Yup...they were a level 5 team...dropped to small senior 2 and won. @blunchin still hasn't gotten over it ;)
Ok just to set the record straight the team had never competed as a level 5. The former coach registered them as a level 5 knowing he only had 4-5 Fulls on the team. When the new coach came in she re-evaluated the skills and found that the only way they would be successful is for the team to compete as a level 2. So that was the when she decided to go to NCA as a level 2.

Ok just to set the record straight the team had never competed as a level 5. The former coach registered them as a level 5 knowing he only had 4-5 Fulls on the team. When the new coach came in she re-evaluated the skills and found that the only way they would be successful is for the team to compete as a level 2. So that was the when she decided to go to NCA as a level 2.
So what level did they compete at prior to and after attending NCA? Unless they competed level 2 at every single comp that year (with the exception of moving to level 3 for maybe 1 or 2 comps at the end of the year) it is still sandbagging and is a bogus win. Enjoy those jackets though.....

Hmmm, I seem to remember them showing up in either results or on youtube as a level 5 early in that same season (maybe Dec/Nov timeframe). I don't have any evidence to back this up, just remembering looking on my own when it came up in a thread on the boards and seeing something that seemed to confirm the sandbagging.

Hmmm, I seem to remember them showing up in either results or on youtube as a level 5 early in that same season (maybe Dec/Nov timeframe). I don't have any evidence to back this up, just remembering looking on my own when it came up in a thread on the boards and seeing something that seemed to confirm the sandbagging.

I'm pretty certain they were at the very least listed as a senior open 5 at a comp or two. Then at ACP Houston last year I'm certain they were Senior 3 because I remember how AMAZING they were. 10 kids all with punch fronts through to a tuck. Unless they have another team with 10 kids that we are referring to....

ccd1025 said:

Wait, you are telling me the only way a team with 5 fulls was going to be successful was to drop them to level 2? I remember seeing a video of them competing level 5 that season, they weren't bad.

I'm sorry, but your team sandbagged. New coach, old coach....I don't care. They didn't belong in level 2.

I am just glad this has been officially declared as something "bad". I was so tired of the arguments that there was nothing wrong with it because a Level 5 athlete has to compete under the same rules as a level 4,3,2,1 athlete and therefore there should not be a problem.

I think this is a great move by NCA because its really becoming a lot ridiculous Teams need to stop really. But what's really funny is when you see a sandbag team really get beat by that true level team whatever level they go down to..Irony lol

Back