OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
oh and it's football...not soccer...football
It's soccer in the USA, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, Japan and I believe a few others.

Soccer is a British word that actually comes from the term Association Football, and was used to describe the game before Football was.

History lesson for the day

It's soccer in the USA, Canada, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, Japan and I believe a few others.

Soccer is a British word that actually comes from the term Association Football, and was used to describe the game before Football was.

History lesson for the day

Actually in Ireland and South Africa it's definitely called football. I personally have never heard anyone refer to the sport as soccer, other than Americans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also, the president of FIFA didn't bother to go to the game yesterday. Even though he's the self proclaimed "godfather to women's soccer."

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them.

... the one who recently announced his resignation? It says he didn't traffic because he's afraid of leaving Switzerland for fear he'll be arrested. According to this article anyway:

FIFA President Sepp Blatter says he won't travel for fear of being arrested

I personally prefer womens soccer too. and not only because my sister plays soccer on a somewhat high level (she got in to the soccer academy in her town) but because i find womens more enjoyable to watch becase the love for the sport is bigger than the love for money. I also do live close to a town where the swedish national champions in soccer for both women and men is from for the last 2 years and the mesn team has a big quite new arena but the womens team has a quite rough woredown arena that is way smaller than the mens one.. but that just how is. the swedish mens national team rarey qualify for the world championships and the women has several medals (yeah the men have a bronze from 94 but the women have several more and yeah they did not do good this year but still) but that is just how is.. the media just prefer the mens team i guess..

It's unfortunate that there is such inequality for both sides in sports based on gender. Whether it's men in a female dominated sport (gymnastics) or women in male-dominated sports (basketball), it's a shame that both parties don't get equal compensation or opportunities. I'd really like to see this improve within my lifetime.
Tbh, only area the genders are treated somewhat equally, (throw out football and basketball) I think, when it comes to education. Due to Title IX, women are receiving equal scholarship money, however, this does not count the money that these Alumni are given the male athletes under the table.

@Ashley, I definitely remember women like Billie Jean King, Virginia Wade and Margaret Court, who fought hard for women tennis athletes to receive equal or close to equal pay as the men. These women sacrificed alot by way of money during the prime of their playing days, they went on strike and started their own Tennis Tour- Virginia Slims, so these young women can be treated equally... I even remembered that tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs in the 1970s. Because of these women, young women in tennis are able to make a decent life now.

I must admit, women came a long way in individual sports, but in most team sports, women have a lot of fighting to do in order to receive equal pay... One sport, I think it will probably not happen is female boxing. Jmo

Last edited:
:mad:I am sorry for this rant, but I cannot hold it in anymore... I truly hate that they are showing these female football players on TV playing in bras and panties and I heard they are not even being well compensated for their troubles.

I personally prefer womens soccer too. and not only because my sister plays soccer on a somewhat high level (she got in to the soccer academy in her town) but because i find womens more enjoyable to watch becase the love for the sport is bigger than the love for money. I also do live close to a town where the swedish national champions in soccer for both women and men is from for the last 2 years and the mesn team has a big quite new arena but the womens team has a quite rough woredown arena that is way smaller than the mens one.. but that just how is. the swedish mens national team rarey qualify for the world championships and the women has several medals (yeah the men have a bronze from 94 but the women have several more and yeah they did not do good this year but still) but that is just how is.. the media just prefer the mens team i guess..
I agree with this! But I love the men's U21 national team. They also seem to love the sport, and not just play for the money.

And to add to the soccer/football discussion, lol. I call it soccer, because I learned American english growing up. I don't mind that the countries call it differently, because there's lots of words that are different in USA/UK? Studying language I've learned that different dialects will develop different vocabulary and grammar, in addition to different accents and sounds. It's normal.

Not to mention I personally find the women much easier to watch than the men. The women don't flop and flail around faking injuries and trying to draw penalties NEARLY as much as the men.

And just to put it in perspective, the US women just pocketed FOUR TIMES LESS winning the World Cup than the US men did for losing in the round of 16. Insane.
The stadiums were only half full for most of the matches. Men's soccer generates way more money.

And to add to the soccer/football discussion, lol. I call it soccer, because I learned American english growing up. I don't mind that the countries call it differently, because there's lots of words that are different in USA/UK? Studying language I've learned that different dialects will develop different vocabulary and grammar, in addition to different accents and sounds. It's normal.
Yeah I don't see the issue with having different names for things.

The stadiums were only half full for most of the matches. Men's soccer generates way more money.
As I stated a few posts later. Men's soccer is obviously a HUGE money maker, much more so than the women. Still doesn't mean it's not sad when you see the pay discrepancies.

The men's or women's games?? I read today that the Edmonton game set a record of over 53 000 people and Vancouver beat it for the finals with almost 54 000 people in attendance. According to the inter webs, Edmonton's stadium seats just over 60 000 people and Vancouver holds just under 60 000, so I'd say they did pretty well attendance wise.

ETA - I don't know about Ottawa/Montreal. It wasn't really mentioned in the news story as it was about the record setting crowds

I agree with this! But I love the men's U21 national team. They also seem to love the sport, and not just play for the money.

Yeah theyre good to and yeah they seem to love the sport.. for another few years,, hopefully nost of them will stay humble and not become the next Zlatan..

Back