OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
So proud of my gym at Provincial's this weekend! We won in every all girl world's division! Great Whites FINALLY won in international 5, Gray Reefs won in international 6, Star Spotted won in large senior, and Smallfins won in small senior! To top it all off, Star Spotted upgraded to a partial paid bid, Gray Reefs got an at large bid, as well as Smallfins! I'm super proud of my gym for improving as a whole since our first bid competition, and for my team coming out of nowhere to become Provincial champs!

Yeah I've always liked Chris Rock too

I honestly think the only movies I saw that had nominations were Straight Outta Compton (for what ever they was worth), Inside Out and part of Amy and part of What Happened Miss Simone?

I also don't feel an urge to go watch any of the movies after last night either

Movies that appeal to the Academy have historically never appealed to me (eh? Guess that's another part of the diversity issue)

I'm more like those people Chris Rock interviewed in Compton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha you beat me! The only ones I saw were Inside Out and Spotlight. (And I watched Spotlight about four hours before the ceremony.)

Yeah I've always liked Chris Rock too

I honestly think the only movies I saw that had nominations were Straight Outta Compton (for what ever they was worth), Inside Out and part of Amy and part of What Happened Miss Simone?

I also don't feel an urge to go watch any of the movies after last night either

Movies that appeal to the Academy have historically never appealed to me (eh? Guess that's another part of the diversity issue)

I'm more like those people Chris Rock interviewed in Compton

That's how I feel after almost every Oscars ever, too. Never heard of 'em, have no interest in seeing them. But I actually want to watch Mad Max: Fury Road after seeing the clips and the snippets of the costume/production/make up design. It looks insane.

I'm happy Inside Out got their Oscar though! Loved loved loved that movie! So cute and so incredible. Pixar never ceases to amaze me (but I don't acknowledge Cars). That and Star Wars were the only movies I actually saw.

ETA: Chris Rock's interviews were the best part of the whole night.

I also Creed....Although....yeah... Michael B. Jordan deserved a nom

legit the only movies I've seen in theaters recently are Inside Out, The Peanuts Movie, and The Good Dinosaur. I'm terrible at seeing movies. Especially grown-up ones.

Best websites to get dresses from? Needing a dress for my sorority's formal. I have a while but dresses tend to fit me weird (I'm more "gifted" up top) plus I'm picky so finding something that works is tough. I am open to long or short dresses!

New Arrivals, Cheap Evening Dresses, Evening Dresses 2016, Affordable Evening Dresses - JJsHouse

There is a company from China that makes custom dresses. They change their name every year - this is this year's name lol. I have ordered 6 dresses from them for my kids - 2 short cocktail dresses and 4 long prom dresses. I have been extremely pleased with every single one. They custom make your dress and the quality is what you would find in bridal/evening gown stores if not better. We only got one dress that didn't fit perfectly, but it only needed some minor alterations (and it is possible I measured wrong). I was petrified to order the first time, but the dress was perfect. You do need to order 6-8 weeks prior, but it is well worth it if you are a size where you can't order dresses off the rack.

Best websites to get dresses from? Needing a dress for my sorority's formal. I have a while but dresses tend to fit me weird (I'm more "gifted" up top) plus I'm picky so finding something that works is tough. I am open to long or short dresses!

Asos and Lulus. As odd as it is I've had good luck on Amazon. I have Prime and a formal wedding coming up this weekend. I've ordered three different dresses all under $100 each. They came within two days and returns are SO easy if they don't fit. Just print the new label, reseal the same bag they arrived in, and drop it in the UPS box right behind my apartment. The money is back in my account within two business days.

Last edited:

Rent the runway is amazing! They have such good customer service and real-life people write reviews of their rentals so you know exactly what you're getting into. I've also had a ton of success with newyorkdress.com or something like that. That's where I ordered my sorority semi formal dress and it was perfect.

To avoid a double post:
Some people wrote me letters of recommendation recently and I wanted to write them thank you notes. Is that uncommon or weird? Or does it just depend on how well you know them? I know one of them much better than the other, so it would feel wrong not to write her one. I was going to do handwritten on my pink girly monogram stationary, but is that unprofessional? One is a professor (who probably writes letters of rec all the time) and one is an old boss, so that may also make a difference.

Rent the runway is amazing! They have such good customer service and real-life people write reviews of their rentals so you know exactly what you're getting into. I've also had a ton of success with newyorkdress.com or something like that. That's where I ordered my sorority semi formal dress and it was perfect.

To avoid a double post:
Some people wrote me letters of recommendation recently and I wanted to write them thank you notes. Is that uncommon or weird? Or does it just depend on how well you know them? I know one of them much better than the other, so it would feel wrong not to write her one. I was going to do handwritten on my pink girly monogram stationary, but is that unprofessional? One is a professor (who probably writes letters of rec all the time) and one is an old boss, so that may also make a difference.

I sent thank you notes in the mail on stationary to everyone who wrote my grad school recs. Not sure if that is "professional" enough but I knew them all for years so it was much more personal to me. No matter what, absolutely send thank yous.

I agree with everyone else on Rent the Runway, but be careful. I ordered a dress from there for homecoming last year and ordered 2 sizes, but I couldn't get them before Wednesday that week because one of the dresses was coming back and couldn't be shipped to be here before then One of them didn't come because it was damaged or something along those lines, which I was never made aware of beforehand, so when I opened the box the Wednesday before the dance on Saturday, and there was only one dress, I freaked out a bit and prayed that it would fit (especially because it was the smaller of the two that I received). It didn't, but I emailed the company and they sent me 3 other dresses that I could try. They didn't tell me which dresses they were sending, but I emailed the rep I had been working with and she replied by the end of the day with links to the dresses. I don't know what I would've done if none of them fit, as I got them on Friday, but thankfully one did, and I probably liked it better than the original dress I ordered.

Overall, it was a positive experience, but I'm still a little put off by the fact that they never informed me they weren't sending the second dress. My friend ordered a dress for homecoming this year and didn't have any problems, so mine was probably a fluke thing, but fair warning, it can happen

I've personally been scared to try Rent the Runway. It's great they send you two sizes, but I have such an odd shape that just because something fits me doesn't mean it LOOKS good on. Something could hit weird on my hips, fit everywhere else but be way too long or short, or leave me with cleavage overload. I didn't rent for this upcoming wedding because I would get nervous that would happen, then I would be left scrambling for a dress two days before (not to mention out the money). If I did it I would definitely pay more to get it for the 8 day window instead of 4.

Also a lot of the dresses I liked on there were close to $100, and I've found several I liked available for purchase that were that price or less.

I've heard all good things about it though, I just imagine this scenario in my head because this is how my luck goes with shopping, lol

I've personally been scared to try Rent the Runway. It's great they send you two sizes, but I have such an odd shape that just because something fits me doesn't mean it LOOKS good on. Something could hit weird on my hips, fit everywhere else but be way too long or short, or leave me with cleavage overload. I didn't rent for this upcoming wedding because I would get nervous that would happen, then I would be left scrambling for a dress two days before (not to mention out the money). If I did it I would definitely pay more to get it for the 8 day window instead of 4.

Also a lot of the dresses I liked on there were close to $100, and I've found several I liked available for purchase that were that price or less.

I've heard all good things about it though, I just imagine this scenario in my head because this is how my luck goes with shopping, lol

I considered doing RTR unlimited for a month or two during wedding season and then you can get all the styles you want, so if you hate the way something looks you're also safe. My sister has used unlimited forever but she's the type of person who seriously cares about the label of what she's wearing. I have enough weddings/family events to wear dresses more than once so I don't mind spending slightly more on a dress and owning it to wear again versus saving $10 to wear $400 dress once. But I'm old so for more formal occasions with a gown, I would absolutely rent. I'm not re-wearing any of those nowadays.

Last edited:

I mean, have you seen my body shape? I haven't been able to buy a bathing suit at a normal store since I was in 6th grade. What I love about RTR is that so many girls have submitted pictures of what they look like wearing the dress in question so it's very easy to compare looks. It's super scary (and I was *very* skeptical) but it actually worked out very well for me twice.

Back