OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
So I've been training at my new job and I want to rip my hair out.

I understand as a server I need to know what everything is on the menu, but they're expecting me to know ALL of the ingredients in EVERY SINGLE DISH on my fourth day of training.

It's a Mexican chain restaurant and I know nothing about mexican food. I'm sitting here making flash cards and struggling to pronounce half the friggen words.

And they want me to memorize all of the margaritas and mixed drinks we offer. Gahhhhh so stressful.

It's very un-American for my office to be open tomorrow for Veterans Day.
Quoting this because we just received word that we all have the day off next Wednesday THE LORD HAS HEARD MY PRAYERS (and complaints lol)

ETA: It's the official moving day for my office so we won't have computers/phones/any outside connection set up yet. So they figured so it's pointless for us to come in and stand around and be in the movers way. So they gave us all PTO. It doesn't actually have anything to do with Veterans Day haha

Yes. Comparing the two situations I shared, the legalities are also the issue. My son did nothing illegal, so there weren't any lawyers or police involved. I could have hired a lawyer, I assume, but my kid deserved some punishment and he wasn't going to lose a D1 scholarship or anything. Also, the publicity would have probably been more awful..
A long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..

My mom used to work for this organization called the Apple Harvest Hosts/Hostesses. My town has an 'Apple Harvest Festival' every year (a local fall festival with yummy food and rides that lasts for 2 weekends). These girls/guys (mostly girls now) were chosen in the spring, and were usually going to be Juniors/Seniors. It was a community service based organization, and it followed from the spring through fall. At the end of everything, there was this big gala at the end and the Apple Harvest Queen was chosen. It was based on involvement, community service, academics, and a variety of other 'good people' factors. You got a crown, a special sash, and a special car to ride in during the parade. They then worked the festival in various capacities (one year they had a face-painting booth). As both my parents were very involved in the festival, these girls were like my super-big-sisters. I've known some of them my entire life- one ended up my volleyball coach.

One night, a big party was busted in town. Two of the hostesses were at the party. I don't believe they were drinking/they were up to any wrong-doing, but they both got in SERIOUS trouble, and I remember my mother up in arms about it. One girl's family was very involved in down, and the other's mom was an elementary school teacher I knew well. One of those girls was set to be chosen as Queen, but she lost the crown because of a stupid mistake. Believe it or not- most of these pictures of these kids at these parties nowadays specifically feature liquor in the background, so it's not like they're smart cookies or there's any ambiguity as to what's happening.

On a slightly related note (speaking of rape instances): When you are accused of rape at a college, you can very easily just transfer. Your old school isn't even under obligation to tell your new school you're involved in any type of disciplinary situation, never mind what you're being investigated for. I read an article about that guy Jesse Matthews who is accused of Hannah Graham's murder- he was accused of sexual assault/violence on several different campuses, and yet not a single campus was aware of the other's disciplinary attempts. There's no necessity in the sharing of that sort of info.

Incidentally, recently in another school district in my state, a boy was arrested for rape and then allowed to play in the football game that week. So...

Still. Stupid thing for my son to say. Don't underestimate the power of social media. :(
I suppose the whole 'innocent until proven guilty' card comes into play. Which is a whole lot different from a CONVICTED rapist, who served jail time being allowed back to train with a top professional football club and his contract and future at the club bring considered!!! Erm...NO! He's a convicted rapist! The outcry in the UK is a lot right now, I hope they reconsider.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I understand as a server I need to know what everything is on the menu, but they're expecting me to know ALL of the ingredients in EVERY SINGLE DISH on my fourth day of training.

It's a Mexican chain restaurant and I know nothing about mexican food. I'm sitting here making flash cards and struggling to pronounce half the friggen words.

And they want me to memorize all of the margaritas and mixed drinks we offer. Gahhhhh so stressful.
I feel your pain... I had to know our whole menu and ingredients as a HOSTESS. I also ran food on the weekends but I at least knew which each item looked liked.. Plus I work at a seafood restaurant and I hate seafood so it all looks the same to me anyway...

I feel your pain, but it IS important that you know what goes in the dishes because of allergies and such.
I started my first serving job at a Tex-Mex restaurant and now I'm at a steakhouse

I feel your pain... I had to know our whole menu and ingredients as a HOSTESS. I also ran food on the weekends but I at least knew which each item looked liked.. Plus I work at a seafood restaurant and I hate seafood so it all looks the same to me anyway...
Ew that really sucks.

Everything's wrapped in some sort of tortilla so it's so hard to tell :( I've been studying for three hours and I'm not even at the drinks yet. Ugh

I feel your pain, but it IS important that you know what goes in the dishes because of allergies and such.
I started my first serving job at a Tex-Mex restaurant and now I'm at a steakhouse
I know it's important but not on the fourth day! Lol. I used to work at a bbq and seafood restaurant so this is all new to me.

I'm dreading trying to get home tonight, it's going to be crazy. Thankfully I'll be mostly going against the traffic, but being so close to the mall I don't know. Why did I have school today?? I contemplated going to the concert, but I hate crowds and it's cold.

I seriously genuinely contemplated, but I had classes and that I couldn't miss soo. I'm not really all that pumped for the line up except Eminem and Carrie Underwood. My grandma lives in DC and says almost every road in DC is closed, it will be a huge tourist event.

I seriously genuinely contemplated, but I had classes and that I couldn't miss soo. I'm not really all that pumped for the line up except Eminem and Carrie Underwood. My grandma lives in DC and says almost every road in DC is closed, it will be a huge tourist event.
It's probably a really really good thing that NHSJC ended on Sunday morning. That would be 6,000 extra high schoolers there!

It's probably a really really good thing that NHSJC ended on Sunday morning. That would be 6,000 extra high schoolers there!

I know there are a lot of NOVA/DC/Maryland HS students there, many friends in HS have just spent the whole day in DC since they didn't have school today, I'm from Arlington so it's not far at all. D.C. during the holiday is already a mess, add a concert brings out the locals too, it's crazy.

I don't mean to bring up the wcss tumblr/se race issue up again because I really have no opinion about it, but I just wanted to say that I myself have a tumblr, and its a really great website for expressing yourself without the need of being judged most of the time. There are some crazy tumblrs out there of course, but you can't just let a few blogs that you've seen set your mind about tumblr if you haven't actually made an account yourself. Don't judge a book by its cover, I guess you could say ;)

I know there are a lot of NOVA/DC/Maryland HS students there, many friends in HS have just spent the whole day in DC since they didn't have school today, I'm from Arlington so it's not far at all. D.C. during the holiday is already a mess, add a concert brings out the locals too, it's crazy.

I'm watching it on HBO and I live like 3 miles from the mall. Not worth it. (and I have wine and a bathroom.)

Back