OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Is there anyone that is really good at physics and could help me? I'm doing a project on Newton's 3 laws. Well as an example of the 1st law, I chose a basket toss. Would the forces be gravity, applied (upward), and air resistance or would it be like a projectile and be only gravity?
What instance of the toss are you looking at? If it is after the flyer has already left the bases hands, you would no longer have the applied upward force, that is when the situation is like a projectile. If it is while the flyer is still in the stunt group then you have the applied upward force.

Is there anyone that is really good at physics and could help me? I'm doing a project on Newton's 3 laws. Well as an example of the 1st law, I chose a basket toss. Would the forces be gravity, applied (upward), and air resistance or would it be like a projectile and be only gravity?

I haven't done physics in a long time but I think both are technically true, just in different stages of the basket toss. As long as the flyer is in contacts with the bases, an applied force is happening. When the flyer takes off, the bases are no longer helping with the upwards movement. They provided enough velocity for the movement to continue without them. And that's where Newton's first law applies, the flyer keeps going up, despite not being actively pushed upwards anymore, until another unbalanced force takes effect (gravity). Air resistance will technically apply during the upwards and the downwards part of the toss, but it's minimal compared to the influence of gravity.

Thank you both! I was greatly over thinking it. @SoAena @glitterandbows To specify, I have a gif of the whole basket toss (throwing up, in the air, and falling back into bases arms). I think I will specify on what point of the basket toss in my explaination.

I know we have a few parents on here that are in this category, so I'll try to tread lightly on this topic... But God this pi$$es me off. If you want to choose not to vaccinate your child that's fine (I mean, it's not, but whatever). But I really think this should mean you also "choose" to homeschool and "choose" not to have your child in dance (or cheer or whatever) and "choose" to keep your child away from mine.

Herd immunity is a thing. It's real. I don't get why people don't understand it.

I'm so tired of the standard "If your child is vaccinated, what are you worried about?" Do y'all not understand statistics, on top of not understanding science? If the vaccine is 99% effective, then 1 out of every 100 vaccinated children that are exposed to the disease will get it anyway. If no one has it to expose them to it, then no one will get it (because if 0 people are exposed, 1% of 0 is 0). If your child brings it to the school because they're not vaccinated and contracted it somewhere, then 300 people are exposed. If 1% get it, 3 of those people will get it. Those 3 people then go expose hundreds of other people. Then 1% of those people get it. And on and on.

This is how diseases are reintroduced into vaccinated populations. Like measles and pertussis are pretty common now, compared to 20 years ago.

It's not complicated or confusing. Your choices are selfish and detrimental to the health of others. And that is not OK. Period.

(so much for treading lightly! But this is just such an issue for me!)

Vaccines are how we eradicated smallpox. And polio for the most part!

And shoot - even chicken pox!

Vaccines are how we eradicated smallpox. And polio for the most part!

And shoot - even chicken pox!
........ Well, not chicken pox. Both my kids got it. They never even got the vaccine because they got chicken pox when they were only 3 months old (yes, both kids, 8 years apart got chicken pox at 3 months old). The vaccine isn't given until they are 12 months. And on an equally bizarre "why do JaM's kids get the weirdest ish?" note, younger one got shingles at 10 years old. Crazy!

But yes, agreed!

I had chicken pox twice. I think once before the vaccine and once after.
I got the vaccine, and so this summer at kiddie camp we were told that a girl possibly had it. She'd given me a bracelet the day before. I knew I'd never had it, so I started to freak out because I didn't know I'd had the vaccine. It turned out to be a false alarm, but that hour before my mom texted me back was one of the most stressful I've ever experienced

I would say gravity, applied, and air resistance. The air resistance is still there going up as well as down right?

Posted before I saw the other posts.

I didn't think about what stage of the toss.

Boston just was selected as the US bid for the 2024 Olympics. I'm not sure how I feel. I love the olympics more than anything but I did my undergrad thesis on the bidding process, I've done more research on the buildup, the event, and the aftermath than I ever had wished to and now I'm conflicted about whether I want the Games in my back yard or not. GAH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boston just was selected as the US bid for the 2024 Olympics. I'm not sure how I feel. I love the olympics more than anything but I did my undergrad thesis on the bidding process, I've done more research on the buildup, the event, and the aftermath than I ever had wished to and now I'm conflicted about whether I want the Games in my back yard or not. GAH!

I'm excited...but I'm also not in Boston. I was disappointed when Chicago lost.

I just hate what happens to the empty venues in some places when it's over

Boston is going for this economic, bear bones type of deal. With temporary buildings, and using the colleges and possibly having them foot some of the bill for any venues. I'm not sure. It should be interesting to see what they come up with the next two years.

@HeresAThought

Boston is going for this economic, bear bones type of deal. With temporary buildings, and using the colleges and possibly having them foot some of the bill for any venues. I'm not sure. It should be interesting to see what they come up with the next two years.

@HeresAThought

......actually now that I think about it I don't want to think about the 2024 Olympics because I'm reminded of how old I'll be then...if I'm lucky

Back