All-Star New Rules Released Today?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And while they are working on that program, do you allow whatever coaches feel they are qualified to teach these skills? NO. you limit it so they aren't being taught until you can certify they will be taught correctly.

I can totally understand your point and I completely get your argument. The only response I have is that this announcement is not coupled with any changes in the credentialing process - and that the process has remained static for quite some time.

It's OK to have give and take - they take these skills but give us better coaches so one day we can have those skills back - but I just instinctively feel that we will be waiting a long time for changes in the credentialing process. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't have all the answers... but this is just my opinion.

Does anyone know if the international teams who are already have their bid are still going to be able to use the 14 year olds like they said in the last change? I hope that they make it so that ALL teams having to follow this guideline and not just US teams.

The international teams should be ok - the UK teams that have won their bid this season (for worlds 2013) had to follow this year's age grid (14+) meaning that those athletes that won the bid will be 15+ by next season.

I can't speak for everyone, and I don't even have a team in a worlds division, but having different rules for US and international teams competing in the same division is WHACK. I also hope everyone has to follow the same guidelines.

Do people think that any of the skills removed are necessary to win?

Again brings me back to Risk vs reward.

I think that if they were concerned about athlete safety first and foremost they would require physicals for all athletes? How do we know these athletes should have been on the floor to begin with?

You know I have always wondered this for a good while. For all high school sports you must have a signed physical on file every year to participate (even our color guard had to have them). If you didn't get it signed and approved you didn't participate. Why is it that the USASF doesn't require their athletes to turn in physicals to prove that they are healthy enough to do what they are doing?
If they are going to say "oh I am doing it for the safety of the athletes" then why are physicals not required?

Also I don't agree with the fact that taking those skills away hurt a small number of athletes so it is no big deal. If it doesn't hurt that many athletes then clearly there aren't that many injuries from it. I hear about more broke fingers from stunting then I do torn ACLs from the elite tumblers. Once again they have released these rule changes and not even mentioned working on fixing the coaching situation. I said it before and I still feel the same way, I have LITTLE to NO faith that the USASF will ever fix this problem, because if they wanted to they would have started already.

And while they are working on that program, do you allow whatever coaches feel they are qualified to teach these skills? NO. you limit it so they aren't being taught until you can certify they will be taught correctly.

This program you speak of would take years to implement? How so? In gymnastics and power tumbling you simply use those as guidelines and start it. Im still not convinced that these skills are 1) an issue causing many injuries
2) being eliminated will in any way reduce injuries, get rid or improper coaching
- if you are improperly coaching a full double..it's gone...so now you're improperly coaching a whip double - what is solved then rich?

3) being properly recorded to project what our injury rate is a result of.

Again, these rules don't affect that many people..... (tumbling at least)

How many athletes in the country have the following? It affects even less people then it did originally. I would say 0.01% of all cheerleaders will be hurt by this.
  • One to double
  • Standing doubles
  • full punch double
  • double punch double
no, but their fun to watch. i could care less about doing the skills but i LOVE watching amazing tumbling and creativity

This program you speak of would take years to implement? How so? In gymnastics and power tumbling you simply use those as guidelines and start it. Im still not convinced that these skills are 1) an issue causing many injuries
2) being eliminated will in any way reduce injuries, get rid or improper coaching
- if you are improperly coaching a full double..it's gone...so now you're improperly coaching a whip double - what is solved then rich?

3) being properly recorded to project what our injury rate is a result of.
I don't think that it will take years to implement. I just don't think it will be completed by the start of next season.

I don't have to go to college to be successful
I don't have to be able to sing every note to be a successful singer
I don't have to do many things to achieve a win- so those again by YOUR logic should be limited because they are not needed?

Debbie Love said that the proposal she was coming up with for the next rule change was to eliminate standing doubles and one to doubles. I would think that if Debbie thought it should be eliminated then there is probably good reason.

I don't care WHO says anything. I want statistics ad reasons. I could FULLY AGREE with major changes if there is evidence to back it up. In my gyms Ive been at.... There is not.

Not to get off the subject of the tumbling rules, but I am gathering from the "letter" that the so called image policy is staying as originally put out there in March? Does that mean cover ups will begin with the new season?? If so, we need to start getting our bling on...cover ups are going to have to look better than uniforms!! :p Just trying to lighten it up somewhat, although the image policy is way to far out there for me!

I don't care WHO says anything. I want statistics ad reasons. I could FULLY AGREE with major changes if there is evidence to back it up. In my gyms Ive been at.... There is not.

I don't know if she has all of the statistics done or any at all, but it sounded to me (listening to her on the conference call) that she was planning on talking about it all in Doral so she may have some statistics for it. As for the USASF of course they still haven't published their sources, they clearly never passed a government class or learned to cite sources in school.

But it's been in place up until NOW. The only justification for change I've seen so far is based on unquantified data and research.

I can totally understand your point and I completely get your argument. The only response I have is that this announcement is not coupled with any changes in the credentialing process - and that the process has remained static for quite some time.

It's OK to have give and take - they take these skills but give us better coaches so one day we can have those skills back - but I just instinctively feel that we will be waiting a long time for changes in the credentialing process. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't have all the answers... but this is just my opinion.

Is it realistic to think that just because the skill is not allowed that coaches will stop teaching it or athletes will stop wanting to learn it?

If they were going to eliminate the skill because of injuries (and I am with Kyle, I want to see the statistics), why didn't they also put into place stricter credentialing for coaches...at a mimimum get the ball rolling to allow for that to be put into place.

I don't know if she has all of the statistics done or any at all, but it sounded to me (listening to her on the conference call) that she was planning on talking about it all in Doral so she may have some statistics for it. As for the USASF of course they still haven't published their sources, they clearly never passed a government class or learned to cite sources in school.

And at that point she will have much respect and an open mind when she speaks

If this year ONE of the big 3 in lrg sr DIDN'T have a standing or running to twist punch double, yes, I absolutely think it could affect placements. Same with any div actually. If any team HAS them, it's an advantage.

Back