All-Star New Rules Released Today?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think owners of programs are just telling their athletes to handle things like adults... although there are more than enough adults in this industry that aren't handling it that way.

you're probably right.

but if the rules made the kids happy they'd have no reason not to be classy... right? ;) just speculation, of course, until we can actually see the rules

This screws over the average small town team that do All-Star Cheer for the girls/boys to build self esteem and confidence, to learn to work as a team and most of all to have fun. I understand the rules are there mainly for the bigger squads to work towards Worlds but there are some of us that will never be that good. We accept everyone who signs up, we have to, so the ages range from 9 to 17 for our Senior squad. And our team even with accepting that age range is always a small senior team. So I for one can accept the 10 yrs. old change but would prefer it stay where its at. A 12 yr. minimum, ack!!!!
The reason I say 12 across the board is for a couple of reasons. At LEAST 2 off of the top of my head. 1. The age difference is HUGE between a 9 year old and a 18 year old. They don't communicate on the same level and do not carry the same conversations. That 9 year old will be exposed to things no 9 year old should. As much as the coaches try to "police" the conversations in practice (or out of practice during breaks or at competitions) they will always be exposed to it. At 12, they are a little bit more (but too much more) capable of understanding conversations and most likely heard some of it before.
2. If you leave all senior teams at 10 other than worlds teams you will never be able to advance once the team level is set. Lets say you have a senior 4 team in the beginning of summer who is sooooo close to having that half+1 to compete level 5. They have two 10 year olds on their team. They would have to go restricted and not be eligible for worlds or replace the two 10 year olds they have with 2 12 year olds. how fair is that to the two 10 year olds working all year? By making the age 12 across the board, it allows room for change and substitutions as needed without hindering an entire team. If that level 4 wants to go level 5 and are successful, they could potentially vie for a bid to worlds and legally not have to change any of their team.

This of course is all my opinion.

you're probably right.

but if the rules made the kids happy they'd have no reason not to be classy... right? ;) just speculation, of course, until we can actually see the rules

Well I can see where if the rules make the athletes happy some athletes will post tacky stuff like putting it in the usasf face they they won ect ect ... Is my guess

you're probably right.

Being happy and being safe are usually NEVER the same.
I'm sure 12 year olds would love to stay home alone or ride their bike to the ice cream store. But most parents would say that is a RISK theyre not willing to take.

The age difference is HUGE between a 9 year old and a 18 year old.

But, how likely is it that a whole team of 18 year olds will be on a team with a young kid at a small gym? At a large gym, senior aged kids make a senior team, and younger kids make a younger, age appropriate team. At a small gym, they'll be combined but usually there are only one or two senior aged kids anyways.
Our gym will feel the impact of this rule because we have one girl that will become senior aged next year, and we have an amazing flyer that is too young. Both belong on the team, and sadly, one of them will be cut. They love each other, and it's more of a big/little sister thing. We may be the exception, but my older kids have enough sense to not talk about crazy things in front of younger ones.
Like I said, I agree with it, but wish there was a little cushion instead of one big blow. Just wanted to give a different side.

I think "leaders" are getting them first, and the masses next. I am sure gym owners and coaches didn't appreciate finding out about the original changes from panicked 14 year olds and their parents.

Back