All-Star New Take On Crossovers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2010
After reading some of the posts by @Ceacoach on the Q&A thread, I've been doing some thinking. She describes using crossovers as something beneficial to the athlete, and I honestly get the argument. I'm pretty anti-crossover for a number of reasons, but idk... now I'm on the fence lol

Let's talk about ONLY the POSITIVES of crossovers... curious to see what you all can come up with:)

My friend's daughter is on sr 4 with my daughter. Her daughter is crossing over to senior 3 too.

I think this is a win win and here's why. This girl came to our gym last year with a mental block. She was on sr 2 and was a flyer. She overcame her mental block and now has solid level 4 tumbling. She made sr 4 but she's never flown extended. She is doing sr 3 so she can learn to fky extended. Crossing over lets her catch her stunting up to her tumbling.

I think it is a child by child decision, some handle it better than others. But in a small gym....50-75 athletes, it really helps your gym build up your teams. My daughter has done this for many years. She flies on the senior team, bases on junior ect. Some kids just want to be out on that floor as much as they can. I feel there are pros and cons, but for our gym if has been beneficial. As our gym has grown, the need for crossovers has gone down.

For example, Junior 3 kids that have solid tucks and are flexible but have not flown and will not get the chance to fly on J3. Cross them over to Sr2 and they get to develop their flying skills at the half level while perfecting their frontwalkover and step out passes to get those stronger to throw tucks out of.

It is good for kids socially too. Kids are often a product of their environment. For example, we had a ten year old who was on y2 and j3. At junior practice, she was quieter and learned how to socialize with kids 5 years her senior. At youth practice, she was able to act her age and be a little silly sometimes. Her parents were so thankful that she had both- she grew up a lot but still had a place where she could be and act 10!

When they cross up it gives them opportunity to work on new skills and they have to push themselves harder at times. Crossing down is oftten good as they are then a roll model plus its some extra workout time without all the stress.

For example, Junior 3 kids that have solid tucks and are flexible but have not flown and will not get the chance to fly on J3. Cross them over to Sr2 and they get to develop their flying skills at the half level while perfecting their frontwalkover and step out passes to get those stronger to throw tucks out of.

Thats what I've done for the past 2 years, on j3, but double team for sr3 to fly!

This is my biggest issue with cheer. Every example given is an excellent reason to have crossovers. Crossing over to the same level or to one level up or down can be beneficial for all of the reasons posted above, and although I would love to see a rule in place about only crossing to same level or one level higher or lower, I can see instances where two levels can be justified as well. However there are gyms in our area that use crossovers for team stacking - level 5 athletes crossing to level 1 and 2 teams, and in some cases these teams either have 20 athletes or are large teams, so they are not using these athletes because they are a small gym and need to fill teams. These gyms are taking advantage of the crossover rule just to get a trophy, and have completely abused the intent of crossovers. IMO, if you have a toe full or a whip double, you shouldn't be on a level 1 or 2 team for any reason, and USASF really needs to address this!!

I think it depends on the child and their work ethic. My daughter had the opportunity to double team this year when a team lost a child. She has never been comfortable with older kids but this forced her to. Now for the upcoming season she is going to double team again on a Mini 2 and Youth 3. She has the opportunity to lead a team that really needs her that her friends since Tinys are on, and is also able to be pushed and learn new skills on the Youth team. I feel it is a win for everyone.

Small gym= crossovers. Thank god for those kids who work their bums off to be on two teams. They dont know how helpful it is and how much their coaches appreciate it. I would love to be at the point where we have enough kids to fill each team without the use of crossovers but in reality, we dont.

Crossovers can be very good. But there NEEDS to be limitations. My youngest daughter has been a flyer her whole cheer career. She is small for her age (4'4" and 59 pounds) as an 11 year old. Her primary team is Youth 4. But last year I let her double team to my Youth 2 team because she REALLY wanted to base. Even on this youth 2 team she was small. lol This year she is helping out with my Youth 3 team basing as well. This has been a bit of a challenge for her trying to base extended one leg stunts but she is having a blast trying! So, yes, I do see the benefit of double teaming when a child REALLY wants to do it for reasons like that. But I do not agree with it to stack teams, etc. etc. and I do believe there needs to be a cap on every team.

Completely agree with more than 2 levels from eachother.

This is my biggest issue with cheer. Every example given is an excellent reason to have crossovers. Crossing over to the same level or to one level up or down can be beneficial for all of the reasons posted above, and although I would love to see a rule in place about only crossing to same level or one level higher or lower, I can see instances where two levels can be justified as well. However there are gyms in our area that use crossovers for team stacking - level 5 athletes crossing to level 1 and 2 teams, and in some cases these teams either have 20 athletes or are large teams, so they are not using these athletes because they are a small gym and need to fill teams. These gyms are taking advantage of the crossover rule just to get a trophy, and have completely abused the intent of crossovers. IMO, if you have a toe full or a whip double, you shouldn't be on a level 1 or 2 team for any reason, and USASF really needs to address this!!

Do you want a thread to present only the positive aspects, or do you want a discussion?

Back