All-Star New Take On Crossovers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'll be honest, I did not read the rest of this thread before responding. My head hurts, but I wanted to reply. My daughter has been a crossover for the past 2 years and loved it. She bases, back spots, flies, and tumbles. She loves the fact that she can be put in any position and rock it. She loves that her teammates call her beast for this reason. There are days where it's tiring, exhausting really, but even she realizes at her young age that it's better to be good at everything, then great at only one thing. Had she not been a crossover, she would have had such experiences or the chance to learn all she has. She went from basing level 1 stunts, to basing level 5 in a year. She had never flown before this year, but thanks to being a base she knew how hard their job was and worked her behind off to do her best and her part of the stunt when she was flying. I think crossing over provides an opportunity to become a better, well-rounded cheerleader.

ETA: also, the perks of being on more than one winning team, or having more than one chance of winning at comps does add to the payoff of working as hard as she does. She came home from US Finals with 4 medals and a jacket. Nice ending to the season.

I think the jack of all, master of none analogy is true in every sport. Especially in gymnastics when competing as a team. Not everyone needs to be an all around contender. There are half that can do every aspect. And then half that have their specialty. That's how you great a strong team.

I really do not think you have to stress over her making whatever team she wants to be on Missy. It's a given. And you know, it is that very concern that motivates parents to sacrifice for their kids to cheer, and if anyone should know about busting their tails for their kids it's Missy and Jeff.

No stress here yet Dr G. LOL She's still young. This discussion just made me look a little further into her future then I normally would. I'm a firm believer in the mantra that when you're ready you'll get your chance. She'll be ready 1 day and she'll do everything she's asked to do. In the meantime we're just building skill 1 season at a time. :cool:

WOW. You made me cry. That is very kind of you to say, it really is. Thank you. That means alot coming from someone who's own family wakes up in the morning and thinks to themselves........."What can I do today to make someone else's life brighter?" You did that just now. Thank you again!!! The G's are the BEST! Absolute best!

I think the jack of all, master of none analogy is true in every sport. Especially in gymnastics when competing as a team. Not everyone needs to be an all around contender. There are half that can do every aspect. And then half that have their specialty. That's how you great a strong team.

Funny enough, I agree...when it comes to all aspects of cheer. But I'm not so sure that to be the case in stunting alone, which has become so important. Long gone are the days of straight up stunts where almost anyone could do the job, basing or flying. It takes so much focus, so much strength for a main base, quick hands for a back spot, sharp eyes for a secondary, total balance for the flyer. I have heard kids say, "I can do any position" and as a coach you LOVE to hear that. But then you try them as main and they aren't as strong as you thought they were, or are always leaning the foot sideways; you try them as a back spot and they drop a flyer to their head because they didn't catch them on the cradle, etc. I just haven't seen a "jack of all trades" be really as well rounded in STUNTING as they think they are. Whereas kids who have main based year after year or back spotted year after year (you get my point) are VERY strong and very consistent with their position. Again, just my experience and observation from my world. :)

Funny enough, I agree...when it comes to all aspects of cheer. But I'm not so sure that to be the case in stunting alone, which has become so important. Long gone are the days of straight up stunts where almost anyone could do the job, basing or flying. It takes so much focus, so much strength for a main base, quick hands for a back spot, sharp eyes for a secondary, total balance for the flyer. I have heard kids say, "I can do any position" and as a coach you LOVE to hear that. But then you try them as main and they aren't as strong as you thought they were, or are always leaning the foot sideways; you try them as a back spot and they drop a flyer to their head because they didn't catch them on the cradle, etc. I just haven't seen a "jack of all trades" be really as well rounded in STUNTING as they think they are. Whereas kids who have main based year after year or back spotted year after year (you get my point) are VERY strong and very consistent with their position. Again, just my experience and observation from my world. :)
I think it's a different story for advanced boys. (depending on their height).
I think the majority of boys I know can back, side, and main for any stunt.

I think it's a different story for advanced boys. (depending on their height).
I think the majority of boys I know can back, side, and main for any stunt.

Ok, BOYS do not count! lol That's a completely different scenario. lol A boy can walk into a gym and watch someone throw a standing back and emulate it like he's been doing it for months! lol

Ok, BOYS do not count! lol That's a completely different scenario. lol A boy can walk into a gym and watch someone throw a standing back and emulate it like he's been doing it for months! lol
But I 100% agree with you. I hate when I go and do choreography and ask a girl what she does and she says anything. Then I tell her to base this in the pyramid and she's a mess.

Great point. And one I wouldn't have considered from my parent side of the fence.

We've heard the "Triple Crown" phrase used this year by Rays and ACE with their phenomenal mastery of the 3 big competitions this year.

Let's consider what a triple crown athlete would look like.

1. A great stunter at whatever position she/he does on their particular team. (Totally stunt mastery so to speak)
2. A great tumbler as well.........has all the level 5 skills and combination through to doubles, etc. (Taking tumbling to the next level)
3. What would everyone's number 3 be?

Great point. And one I wouldn't have considered from my parent side of the fence.

We've heard the "Triple Crown" phrase used this year by Rays and ACE with their phenomenal mastery of the 3 big competitions this year.

1. A great stunter at whatever position she/he does on their particular team. (Totally stunt mastery so to speak)
2. A great tumbler as well.........has all the level 5 skills and combination through to doubles, etc. (Taking tumbling to the next level)
Dedication/focus/attendance/stong motion placement

Jumps? maybe? If you can master those three areas, you have a champion, I believe.

I think crossovers are great! We have very, very few at our gym this year but I'm so happy my daughter is getting the chance..
My daughter started a little less then a year ago as a tiny1 and was a leader very quickly last tumbling pass and point most of routine. She loved it! She worked harder and got the skills needed for a level 2 team but we don't have a level 2 mini team and she just turned 6! We do have a youth2 team though.

So she is competing on mini 1 with a couple of her friends from the tiny team who aged out and most of the mini team from last year stayed the same. So even though she is one of the younger mini's she still fits in well with her peers and enjoys it. Also she is a strong level 1 for mini's.

She wanted to do her BHS so she is a cross over too youth2. By far the youngest on the team! She is a great base or back spot on mini's but definitely not an option for youth as she is the smallest! So she is going to fly at first she was scared but every practice she is excelling so much and is actually loving it. Yes these kids are older but they treat her like she is the coolest kid ever since she is so young.
Im so thankful my daughter got the opportunity to cross up and learn how to fly. If she continues to progress at this rate much faster then her peers she will be a flyer as she will always be the smallest when she does teams her level until they catch up to her if she keeps up and makes upper level Sr teams one day.

I feel like if she didn't have the experience now it will hold her back in the future. So I see nothing wrong with it long as she is happy! I think she is getting the best of both worlds!

One of mine transitioned from gymnastics. She was young and had tumbling skills team needed and wanted for level 4 but too small to base. She doubled to a 2 where she learned to fly. As the season progressed and she learned more and more about flying, she was able to move from front spot and tumble in front of stunts girl on the 4... to flying on the 4 as well.

Back