High School Nfhs Proposed Spirit Rule Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That's absolutely ridiculous. So now you can flip in pyramids but you cant double down??? I'll be preparing for lot's of boring stunt sections now -_-
I'm going to guess that this applies to baskets as well??

Boring Stunt Sections because you cant double now....are you kidding me! the double down is only one aspect of a stunt sequence. NFHS is finally catching up with AACCA and lining up together.

As long as the NFHS rules are the same as AACCA, AACCA does a better job of "detailing out" things so it is more simple to interpret.

I'll have to look into that, IL just uses NFHS so I haven't followed AACCA's rule interpretations. That would be nice to have better detailing out!!! :)

My understanding is that the dismount will only be allowed if it starts at shoulder height or below. According to rule 2-5-5 and the forward flip (forward suspended roll has the bases or posts holding flyers hands while inverting) at 2:05 would be legal if there were another bracer on the other side in a pyramid according to rule 2-5-6. Does that make sense? Again if anyone disagrees with my understanding let me know. :)

It says the base of support must be below shoulder height, not shoulder height and below - does NFHS consider prep level to be "shoulder height"? If so, then I would say that the dismount at 1:55 would not be legal because it is at prep level. I could be totally wrong, though, if somehow prep level is considered below shoulder height. (I'm definitely not as familiar with NFHS terminology as with AACCA.) But yes, I'd say the 2:05 forward flip with the addition of another bracer at prep level on the other side would be legal.

It should be noted, though, that the backward braced flips done at the same time in the video would NOT be legal with another bracer... because the bracers that are used are at thigh stand level (they'd be legal with two bracers at prep level). Can anyone offer any explanation for why bracers in shoulder sits or at thigh stand level would NOT be legal? There might be a good reason... I just can't think of one. Ideas?

For real crying over the elimination of doubles. =( =( =(

Yeah I find it a little odd. I am looking at it as for of a future college cheer thing though. I know that many UCA teams do full downs, but what happens when these girls want to tryout for college teams and can't double down because they aren't on a level 4 or 5 all star team?

Yeah I find it a little odd. I am looking at it as for of a future college cheer thing though. I know that many UCA teams do full downs, but what happens when these girls want to tryout for college teams and can't double down because they aren't on a level 4 or 5 all star team?
And what if they are like me and think its easier to double down? I want them back!!!!! :(

Girls that want to cheer in college usually know this and will be sure to go to clinics. Also smart college coaches would know the restrictions on high school rules so they would know what to be looking for in an incoming freshmen or a first semester freshmen.

Girls that want to cheer in college usually know this and will be sure to go to clinics. Also smart college coaches would know the restrictions on high school rules so they would know what to be looking for in an incoming freshmen or a first semester freshmen.

I would think most of the big name college coaches are not going to care what high school cheer doesn't allow and still expect those at tryouts to be able to do what they want done. It could put those girls who don't do all stars at a disadvantage over those who do all stars. James Speed isn't going to care that you couldn't do double downs in high school, when you show up at tryouts you better be able to do a double down like it is all you do. Many of them don't want to have to teach what they want to athletes after they make the team, they want a team coming in that knows how to do it ahead of time.

From my experience, double downs aren't that hard if you have a great full down, they are just dangerous to catch. Girls trying out for college should be just fine as long as they go to a few clinics their junior and senior year to learn them.

From my experience, double downs aren't that hard if you have a great full down, they are just dangerous to catch. Girls trying out for college should be just fine as long as they go to a few clinics their junior and senior year to learn them.

True that it is fine for girls who get to attend clinics, but not everyone has the money or time to travel to clinics. I just think that it is silly to eliminate double downs but then add in that you can do braced flips in pryamids (not complaining about adding that because I like that new rule).

Back