High School Nfhs Rules Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

JMW

Apr 4, 2013
Just got an email about changes in the high school rules, and it includes this:

"In the section on tumbling, a new article was added stating that competitors cannot jump from a standing or squatting position backwards onto the neck, shoulders or hands."

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds to me like they just outlawed back handsprings. [emoji53]

Anybody know what they really mean?

"In the section on tumbling, a new article was added stating that competitors cannot jump from a standing or squatting position backwards onto the neck, shoulders or hands."

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds to me like they just outlawed back handsprings. [emoji53]

Everybody better start learning how to do backhandspring a from a sitting or kneeling position :p

It sounds like a typo though.

Who purposefully jumps back and lands on their neck?

There's a move that Top Gun does sometimes that looks like a BHS but lands on their neck/shoulders/back and they jump back up. 99% sure they did it in 2008.

ETA: It became a little more popular after that so I think that's what they're trying to outlaw. The hands part though is weird.

My guess is that it's meaning that skill where you go back to neck/shoulders and hands let your legs fly over in a straddle but throw yourself back forward to a standing position. Forgot the name but it's really visual and has been done lots of times in allstars especially jump transitions.

*looks like someone beat me to it

There's a move that Top Gun does sometimes that looks like a BHS but lands on their neck/shoulders/back and they jump back up. 99% sure they did it in 2008.

ETA: It became a little more popular after that so I think that's what they're trying to outlaw. The hands part though is weird.
Like a kip up?

I was imagining someone being foolish enough to do that on a basketball court (without stopping the momentum with your hands for a bit first).:eek:

Like a kip up?

Like on the bars in gymnastics? Mmmmmm I mean they're similar in movement. (If that's what they're called in cheer then I'm learning something new because I have no clue what they're called.) If I were on my laptop/not at work Id link to a video. I'll do it when I get home unless someone wants to be nice and do it for me :p

I think if they changed the wording to "backwards onto the neck, shoulders to hands" that would get the point of the kip. with the word "or" it could be interpreted straight to hands is now illegal. I guess every will just have to do a back tuck. but I get limiting those kips - I could really see neck injuries occuring.

I was going to say sounds like tricking, but someone beat me to it!

Kips have been becoming very popular in dance so I bet they're trying to prevent it coming into cheer.

My guess with the hands is that they meant stalls. Where you jump back and stop in a handstand?

Can't wait to tell my kids tucks only, backhandsprings are illegal! :p

I am back! It's been a while!

I agree that the wording is funky, but when you read the rules it makes sense, you need to have full head over hip rotation.. however.. I like the man, can't do hansprings anymore... PEEPS BE TUCKIN!

Kip videos. You see them a lot in tricking as well:

That helps... It would seem to me, though, that the "neck kip" (as shown in the first video) would still be legal, since you're not *jumping* backwards, and the "suicide kip" (second part of the first video) would not be legal. Agree?

Back