All-Star Nightline Episode

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

really? a baseball cap blocks the sunlight so the players can see. please tell me what purpose a bow serves?

i'm not against bows or things that make anyone feel good or more confident... but when i cheered, we had a thin ribbon tied in our hair. in 10 years it has evolved into a 3 inch, rhinestone covered, $50 bow that probably weighs 5 friggen pounds. it's excessive. y'all look like clowns nowadays and if i didn't grow up in cheerleading i wouldn't come near it with a 10 inch pole. i don't do big hair AND a 3 inch bow AND red lips AND neon pink blush AND a smoky eye. just no. i'd run far, far away. the current state of cheerleading makes it very difficult for me to rationalize and defend it to the outside world. (and in case anyone forgot, your future cheer families currently live in the outside world. you're supposed to attract them to you to make money)

Wow. Nice.

If you saw all the crap my football player puts on himself just to step on the field... Oy! Arm sleeve, gloves, tights under his pants, bands around his biceps! Sweet Jesus, the kid has more bling on himself than his sister does stepping on the mat. It's all his good luck stuff. Does he need it? Nope. But just try to take it away from him.

Every sports has their "bling," I suppose. Ours is just prettier. ;)

I still feel that the majority of those items...at some point...were marketed as items to enhance their athleticism. Whether it works or not... I mean... my high school football player boyfriend had his mom go out and buy him the same "leotard" (is what I called it then even though it wasn't) that an NFL player wore because it allegedly helped with this that and the third. He still sucked...but that's neither hear nor there.

I mean I competed and cheered at games in ankle braces that I didn't need.... But I still can't look at those type of athletic enhancements the same way as bows, and glitter and curls, and blinged out Nfinitys

I still feel that the majority of those items...at some point...were marketed as items to enhance their athleticism. Whether it works or not... I mean... my high school football player boyfriend had his mom go out and buy him the same "leotard" (is what I called it then even though it wasn't) that an NFL player wore because it allegedly helped with this that and the third. He still sucked...but that's neither hear nor there.

I mean I competed and cheered at games in ankle braces that I didn't need.... But I still can't look at those type of athletic enhancements the same way as bows, and glitter and curls, and blinged out Nfinitys

That's fine, you don't need to. But I do. Yes, some teams/girls go overboard but all in all I think it's no big deal.

But don't get me started on BUTT BOWS! :p

(Although, if I'm being honest, the first time I visited the gym to see if my daughter wanted to do all star, I actually said out loud to someone "what's with the bows??" ;))

I understand the make up to an extent, it's hard to see the face when there's no make up on it as I've been told. I'm not into overly heavy make up, like I almost cried at prom because I thought I looked like a fool. Most college tryouts ask for gameday make up, natural colors, red lips. I can do that,that makes sense. But even red lipstick has its limits. My HS coach HATED girls that wore lipstick that didn't match their skin tone, and wore too much.

I cringe when I look at old comp pics of me with sparkly green eyeshadow.

And bows are also a nice added touch to the overall look, if you are going to have your hair up, a bow is fine. But not everyone has a head for huge Minnie Mouse bows.

Last edited:
really? a baseball cap blocks the sunlight so the players can see. please tell me what purpose a bow serves?

i'm not against bows or things that make anyone feel good or more confident... but when i cheered, we had a thin ribbon tied in our hair. in 10 years it has evolved into a 3 inch, rhinestone covered, $50 bow that probably weighs 5 friggen pounds. it's excessive. y'all look like clowns nowadays and if i didn't grow up in cheerleading i wouldn't come near it with a 10 inch pole. i don't do big hair AND a 3 inch bow AND red lips AND neon pink blush AND a smoky eye. just no. i'd run far, far away. the current state of cheerleading makes it very difficult for me to rationalize and defend it to the outside world. (and in case anyone forgot, your future cheer families currently live in the outside world. you're supposed to attract them to you to make money)
Maybe a baseball cap and a jersey was a bad choice because they do have more of an impact on the sport then bows, I guess I'm trying to focus on the glitz of the jersey/cap and how it makes them score. It can look like crap and it does nothing for their touchdown/homerun ability. Just like in cheer leading with our bows. But its part of their sport and team.

But thats right, over ten years cheer has evolved! Changed into sparkly big bows and over the top makeup, and that has probably drawn some away and brought in a new appeal for outsiders. Just like if tomorrow everyone was wearing ribbons and mascara it would draw some away and bring in other who like the toned down look. Haven't you ever heard the saying “You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches.” I think that applies here.

Some family's love to see their kids all dressed up with their big hair and glitter, because its fun for their kids, they enjoy seeing their kids get to dress up and own their sport for a day. Other probably think their kids look like a complete clown like you say we look. And they get over it because they might hate peaches but its their kids favorite fruit and its the only way they can enjoy sitting in the basket. But like I said in my other post, really not trying to get at looks specifically here. Just trying to understand why its so important to so many.

I had DVR'd the episode and just had the opportunity to watch it now...my impressions:
1. not happy about the way they showcased competitive cheer
2. not happy about the team branding
3. just not thrilled at all...lol

That's fine, you don't need to. But I do. Yes, some teams/girls go overboard but all in all I think it's no big deal.

But don't get me started on BUTT BOWS! :p

(Although, if I'm being honest, the first time I visited the gym to see if my daughter wanted to do all star, I actually said out loud to someone "what's with the bows??" ;))

Hate to double post but my mom who loves cheer, doesn't get the bows either. She used to always put them on backwards so for my early cheer career my bow was jacked. Dad always asks why it's on my head like Minnie Mouse.

I'm not talking about DCC at all, I'm solely talking about the football team, but I agree with that point.

Yes some jerseys come in styles that are more done up and others more simple, just like uniforms in all-star cheer leading. And they have purposes on their jerseys such as numbers which could also be incorporated to my "plain jerseys and helmets" hypothetical example. They could all have their team color and black number and it would work the same. Just like they have numbers, we have our gym and sometimes team name on our uniforms used as identification. Football players are singled out as players, and cheerleaders are made one, so there is no need for us to sew "Base" or "Flyer" on our uniforms. Our gym names is enough for a similar use.

I don't believe that the sole purpose of hair and makeup is to make us look "Girly" but it does play a role in it. Cheer leading is considered a sport heavily for females so it would make sense to have stereo typical female looks poured into our sports look. I also agree if every big name gym had that toned down look, then that is the way it would evolve to be. Just like how it evolved from ribbons into big bows and slicked back ponys into overly teased big hair. In the end the looks as a whole is REALLY not what I'm trying to get at, at all! I'm just trying to figure out why so many people seem to be so caught up in what the "outside world" portrays us as. Even in this segment, it was very nice for what it was. It was about extraordinary family's and the lengths they go to every day, they used All-star cheer leading as an example because All-star cheer leading can change an entire family's life. Like in GBs case where she has had to leave her whole family. They talked about how much hard work it was for the family and how much of a toll it takes on them financially and emotionally. This was not a piece on All-star cheer, this seemed to be focused on their parents effected by it. But everyone cant help but criticize what they said about the cheer itself, which was not what they where focusing on if you watch the whole episode. Why is that all we can see it as? Why are we freaking out because they showed a girl complaing, because there where kids in sports bras, that they glossed over a world win? It was about the family. Not cheer.

I read it as DCC because the football team itself means nothing to me... Like I can't even compute.... What even is a Dallas Cowboy? Its literally just a show on CMT to me now.....They still play football? Sorry not sorry.

As for all of the other words (I'm really not trying to be a jerk...because I do enjoy these type of discussions... I'm just tired)... I feel like... If someone influential in this industry... came out and set the standard for minimal make up and hair... everyone else would follow suit. The pomp and circumstance in the hair and make up for cheerleading isn't necessary, while it is enjoyable and fun for some girls (moms)....its not necessary.

Side note. But are any of yall able to watch an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras and just KNOW that they're also involved in cheer....

I had DVR'd the episode and just had the opportunity to watch it now...my impressions:
1. not happy about the way they showcased competitive cheer
2. not happy about the team branding
3. just not thrilled at all...lol

What exactly made you unhappy?

To me there wasn't enough substance to feel strongly one way or the other. It wasn't as bad as that article that was published in TX a few years ago....and it was certainly no TheWire.com article.....but it also wasn't Cheerleader Nation/Chasing Perfection.

It was kind of like they filmed footage and wanted to work it in some way....so viola Extraordinary Families.... it'll do!

It did end abruptly tho.

As for all of the other words (I'm really not trying to be a jerk...because I do enjoy these type of discussions... I'm just tired)... I feel like... If someone influential in this industry... came out and set the standard for minimal make up and hair... everyone else would follow suit. The pomp and circumstance in the hair and make up for cheerleading isn't necessary, while it is enjoyable and fun for some girls (moms)....its not necessary.

Side note. But are any of yall able to watch an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras and just KNOW that they're also involved in cheer....

Orange has always had a simple look to them. The ponytails with a pouf, and even SE although they seem to have heavier make up.

And yes, every single time Susie has a back handspring in her routine.

I read it as DCC because the football team itself means nothing to me... Like I can't even compute.... What even is a Dallas Cowboy? Its literally just a show on CMT to me now.....They still play football? Sorry not sorry.

No trust me, I'm a Dallas girl and I cant even understand them. No worries.

I agree that if that was a rule/large standard and that is what cheer became, then every gym would meet those standards. Our hair and makeup is far from necessary to our skills, scores, and life lessons. To me its just part of the appeal, part of the fun, part of our look, part of what makes it All-Star cheer. But looks wasn't what I was questioning specifically. It was why are we so caught up in what others think of our look? Right now it is big and glam so why are we complaining when were portrayed that way? I don't think you're being a jerk, that is why I asked these questions, because I want to hear others answers :)

Orange has always had a simple look to them. The ponytails with a pouf, and even SE although they seem to have heavier make up.

And yes, every single time Susie has a back handspring in her routine.

Yeah but to be fair Orange already doesn't have stones on their uniforms. In order for this to work, there would have to 1. be a lot of high profile (formerly glitzy) teams do it and 2. middle ground..... blinged uniforms...easy on the face.

The poufs....just because the size of them tends to be extra kind of falls along the curls line for me

Back