All-Star Nightline Episode

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Right. I don't think anyone is advocating competing in plain colored uniforms with no individuality, but there's a happy medium between athletic and the beauty pageant look we seem to be favoring these days.
That's funny because I've noticed in recent years that the beauty pageant look is dying, at least with most out of the spotlight gyms. I paid close attention at Cheersport last year (since there were many teams that we don't normally see) and saw very little glitter and "jacked to Jesus" hair. Sure there was some but I wonder if it's more prevalent in teams that are "expected" to wear it either because they are high profile or because of the region in which they live.

It only matters to the extent that Stewie might have a younger sister Stephie who might have been interested if Mother Shelly wasn't overly freaked by the clown-esque attire of the girls in Stephie's age group.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of new people would prefer something in the middle ground, leaning less glitz. I'd love for you to have met 5 year old KTG when my mother was slapping me with eyeliner and poking out my eyes with mascara. Just no.

I feel no need to be concerned about Stewies sister and mom. If they don't like it, perhaps they would be happier with power tumbling or gymnastics? You don't get to pick parts of other sports apart and decide what you want to participate in.

Here's my two cents on makup/bows/hair/uniforms. If makeup is not on the score sheet then what's the difference between having lots of makeup on or have a little if you're not be scored on it. Big bows little bows is still a bow. Blinged out uniforms or athletic look is still a uniform. So if these are not on the score sheet why should it matter if Susie wants get all dolled up? She's not getting scored on lots make up but at the same time she's not getting scored on having less or no make up either. And as for showing GB getting ready and saying its not what this sport is about but in reality it is since it's being discussed.

Because saying "well Suzie *likes* wearing all that makeup and doing her hair, so why can't we just let her do it" is overly simplistic. I don't get a choice. I'm told I have to wear red lips and a heavy smoky eye. That I need to curl and tease my hair, the bigger the better. That it's okay to be pale at competitions in New England because it's winter, but I better get a tan for Worlds. I don't like doing any of those things, I never wear heavy makeup (red lips on me are just awful) or curl my hair, but now they've become the norm and part of the uniform.

Because saying "well Suzie *likes* wearing all that makeup and doing her hair, so why can't we just let her do it" is overly simplistic. I don't get a choice. I'm told I have to wear red lips and a heavy smoky eye. That I need to curl and tease my hair, the bigger the better. That it's okay to be pale at competitions in New England because it's winter, but I better get a tan for Worlds. I don't like doing any of those things, I never wear heavy makeup (red lips on me are just awful) or curl my hair, but now they've become the norm and part of the uniform.
Who says you have to tan?

That's funny because I've noticed in recent years that the beauty pageant look is dying, at least with most out of the spotlight gyms. I paid close attention at Cheersport last year (since there were many teams that we don't normally see) and saw very little glitter and "jacked to Jesus" hair. Sure there was some but I wonder if it's more prevalent in teams that are "expected" to wear it either because they are high profile or because of the region in which they live.
Or even what competition they attend. Our teams did the pouf all year until we got to UCA. I think it got some discussion here too but we ended up going with a much more understated hairstyle that I actually really liked so much better (in part because I suck at the pouf) but it was done because apparently UCA is not a fan of jacked to Jesus hair and that can effect your overall impression if you're glitzed and glammed with 3 foot tall hair. At least our coaches thought that enough to have us change hair. We did a French braid sort of across the top and down the side into the ponytail. It was my favorite style of the season. Pretty, understated and athletic. I really liked it.

Or even what competition they attend. Our teams did the pouf all year until we got to UCA. I think it got some discussion here too but we ended up going with a much more understated hairstyle that I actually really liked so much better (in part because I suck at the pouf) but it was done because apparently UCA is not a fan of jacked to Jesus hair and that can effect your overall impression if you're glitzed and glammed with 3 foot tall hair. At least our coaches thought that enough to have us change hair. We did a French braid sort of across the top and down the side into the ponytail. It was my favorite style of the season. Pretty, understated and athletic. I really liked it.

Becuase my description is lousy...
ImageUploadedByFierce Board1405519500.762466.jpg

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

She looks like a beautiful, confident athlete! Did you do her hair?

I'll agree with beautiful because I'm her momma, confidence is her nemesis. I wish she had some.

And YES! I not only did hers but one other girl who's mom didn't know how to French braid! It was my one shining moment as the mom who actually COULD do hair!

We've been told by coaches and teammates. She always had a spray tan for comps but the breaking point was being called out for not tanning at choreo camp. The punishment? Non-tanners were placed on the back row I kid you not.

That is the most crazy thing I have ever heard! That is not right.

I'll agree with beautiful because I'm her momma, confidence is her nemesis. I wish she had some.

And YES! I not only did hers but one other girl who's mom didn't know how to French braid! It was my one shining moment as the mom who actually COULD do hair!
I knew she had confidence issues from your previous posts and frankly, I wasn't expecting her to look so relaxed. I really think her hair and bow size project a more confident appearance if that makes sense. Like she's saying "look at what I can do" instead of "look how huge my hair can get and I can still stand up".
I love their UCA look.

Back