All-Star No Pool Access?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My boys play other sports (travel teams) and they are not allowed to swim at their tournaments until after they are done play. The coaches made the mistake of allowing them to swim on the Sat afternoon of a 2 day tourney......they were all exhausted the next day.

I agree with no pool. Not only because it tires kids out but we had a girl get a concussion 'stunting' in the pool on a prior team.

ACE has a no pool policy except for the last comp of the year (excluding Worlds) when they compete in Destin and that one is all about fun.

the only time i have ever been allowed to swim was at our first competition of the year it was held in that indoor waterpark hotel kalahari or whatever and that was the friday because we didnt compete till late saturday afternoon, we were also allowed to use the hot tubs in our hotel in niagara falls for nationals

The soccer coach I am an assistant for explains to the boys and their parents that a pool is a huge heat sink and even if you don't exert yourself too much you can drain all your energy by being in the water colder than your body temp. Hot tubs are relaxing for your muscles but you shouldn't be there for more than about 20-30 minutes.

armycheermom if you want to help this other parent out, you can explain that she is the parent and responsible for raising her child, but the coach's job is to set policies for the team. She is free to do what she wants, but the coach is free to replace her child on the team if she violates the team rules.

Ok at worlds as a Disney lifeguard, we are told that during cheerleading weekends if cheerleaders are stunting in the pool and we have told them to stop and they continue to stunt and such we are told to contact security whom will kick them out of the pool and what a lot of people don't know if you get in trouble at a Disney resort and are competing in any athletic event on property you team with be disqualified, so dont be stupid. ;)

Ok at worlds as a Disney lifeguard, we are told that during cheerleading weekends if cheerleaders are stunting in the pool and we have told them to stop and they continue to stunt and such we are told to contact security whom will kick them out of the pool and what a lot of people don't know if you get in trouble at a Disney resort and are competing in any athletic event on property you team with be disqualified, so dont be stupid. ;)
I didn't know that! I could just imagine the controversy if one stubborn athlete refused to stop stunting and disqualified a world champion contender.

We have the same rule and I support it 100%. Same rule applied when I played softball.
Our gym has the same policy, it is a cheer competition, not a vacation. If you want to make it a vacation, you can arrive before or after the competition to vacation, but not during "cheer time." This also includes sightseeing or any other "vacation" type stuff. It needs to be done before or after.

I also think it is a great rule and support it 100%

No Pool, nothing makes you more tired than swimming/sun bathing. No late nights, No sight seeing....and when I see people doing that, I get annoyed. When you're done performing and your team isn't depending on you, do whatever you want. Everyone is still depending on each other to give 110%, especially with so much time and $ invested on going away.

I didn't know that! I could just imagine the controversy if one stubborn athlete refused to stop stunting and disqualified a world champion contender.

yeah I know right! luckily I work at the Resorts that World Cup always stay at and I never have had problems...other then the time I saw a mom with a WC Odyssey shirt and I made the mistake of telling her that "Odessey was was good, but where are the staws" I definatly did not in any way shape or form mean it to come out like that but it did and she gave me a death stare :oops:

The last gym we were with had this rule (which is one of the only things I liked about that gym). Not that ANYONE followed it. We're rule followers so we didn't let our (then) mini level 2 get in the pool. So we were the evildoer parents that must be thwarted because all of her team mates were in the pool. My absolute favorite was the Saturday of a two day when our room was next to the pool and probably 8 of her team mates were splashing around....at 10pm...when we had to meet the team for sunday finals at 7:30 AM! We turned on the a/c unit so she couldn't hear them so she'd go to sleep and be rested for the morning. That worked but if looks could kill, we'd all be dead she was so mad we wouldn't let her go to the pool.

No surprise to anyone, one of her team mates (who didn't feel all that great on Saturday) shows up on Sunday 30 minutes late...with a 103 fever. She was one of the ones who was in the pool until after 11 pm....at 7 years old! To say we were cremated on Sunday would be a considerable understatement. Was it all due to the pool....no. But, I have issues with people who don't follow team rules. It puts those of us who do in a bad situation with our kids and causes drama (I think) between the kids on the mat between the ones that follow the rules and the ones that don't. If you don't like the rule.....don't choose that gym. But, if you're going to be a part of that program...be a part of it. Don't pick and choose what you do/don't like and hence choose to follow.

Cheer competitions are cheer competitions. They aren't vacations. You're there to get the job done for your team. When your job is done it can be about you. Before then, it's about the other X number of people on that mat and your responsibility is to be rested, ready and healthy so you can do the job that needs to be done for your team. When you're done with that....feel free to do whatever you like. But, you wouldn't even be there if not for the team so the team comes first.

What about 2 day comp. ? Sometimes we compete early Sat. morning. After we are free to leave since awards are not until the next day. We usually get a hotel with an inside swimming pool (free entertainment at the Hotel). Swim after the first day of comp., then rest, and go to bed early.

This should be a poll... So far it seems like most are in favor of Pool Rules at a competition. Our gym has a no pool before competing rule too. I could understand sitting in a hot tub for 20 minutes to relax, but you can do basically the same thing in your bath tub in your hotel room.

Too much sun can be just as bad or worse though too, and coming from the midwest and hitting Florida or even Myrtle Beach and staying in the sun too much can just drain you. I really think many people underestimate how much a day in the pool or sun can affect an athlete...

Well, not getting a good nights sleep, enough hydration, or good healthy meals could be added to that list as well...

What about 2 day comp. ? Sometimes we compete early Sat. morning. After we are free to leave since awards are not until the next day. We usually get a hotel with an inside swimming pool (free entertainment at the Hotel). Swim after the first day of comp., then rest, and go to bed early.
Our kids spend the day supporting the other teams, so no time to go back to the hotel. When they do go back to the hotel, they are supposed to be working on homework as we are usually there for 4-5 days (come in on Thursday or Friday, leave Monday) And we all stay in the same hotel, so pretty easy for the coaches to wander down and check the pool and do bed checks :)
I think it is a fabulous rule. It keeps the focus on what the kids are there for, competing, and there is a 'prize' at the end of the competition - hitting the pool and starting a vacation if we are in a resort area.

I really agree with the sun issue, when I was still cheering we went to a comp in Galveston or Corpus Christi (I cant remember it's been a while), my flier went down early and played on the beach the day before, needless to say she was completely burned. I had to change the way I back-spotted her so she could stay up and not fall from the pain. I think some of these rules are a little over the top, but I do believe in curfews and no pools at night when you have an early morning comp. And I do agree that parents need to follow what ever rules the gym has in place and realize they are there for comp not vacation, if there's free time then that's great be with your family but the team comes first. jmo

Back