No Questions? Start Here. First, Second, Third Post. . .

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have seen some advertised but it does look like they are at All Star gyms. My CP is still in elementary school so we aren't there yet. I do know that in football the key to the recruiting game is marketing and exposure. Twitter seems to be the method of communication for all the college football coaches. I would start with compiling a "highlight" video, post it to youtube and then email that link to all the cheer coaches of the schools you are interested in.

As a former college coach I can tell you this: many schools don't have the resources to actively recruit; they rely solely on who is coming to them. In my experience (just mine, not all), I had NO PULL as far as admissions. Therefore, I pretty much had to wait to see who, out of all those who expressed interest in cheering, actually were accepted into the college. I received highlight tapes, recommendations from HS and AS coaches (and parents) phone calls, texts, and emails in advance... but no matter how much I *WANTED* that girl on the squad, if she wasn't admitted, that was it. (Sad horns.)

But... YES! Emailing the cheer coaches of the schools you are interested in is key! (That was my original point - sorry!) Get in touch with the coach, or even just check out their website to see requirements, tryout process, etc. to get a sense of the program. In most cases, you have to go to them, they're not coming to you.

***ALSO, if you are a parent and contacting COLLEGE coaches for your child... STOP! Make THEM do it! College coaches (in my experience) would rather hear from the athlete, not their mommy!

Above all, research (and if possible, visit campus) the SCHOOLS first, and decide which one is the best fit academically, socially, athletically. One will just feel "right." Choosing a school based ONLY on the cheer program is just not good advice!

I am looking for college recruit info for my rising senior. As far as I can tell it looks like cheer recruiting takes place almost exclusively out of all star gyms. Either that or you have to fly your student across the country to multiple university clinics.

As a former college coach I can tell you this: many schools don't have the resources to actively recruit; they rely solely on who is coming to them. In my experience (just mine, not all), I had NO PULL as far as admissions. Therefore, I pretty much had to wait to see who, out of all those who expressed interest in cheering, actually were accepted into the college. I received highlight tapes, recommendations from HS and AS coaches (and parents) phone calls, texts, and emails in advance... but no matter how much I *WANTED* that girl on the squad, if she wasn't admitted, that was it. (Sad horns.)

But... YES! Emailing the cheer coaches of the schools you are interested in is key! (That was my original point - sorry!) Get in touch with the coach, or even just check out their website to see requirements, tryout process, etc. to get a sense of the program. In most cases, you have to go to them, they're not coming to you.

***ALSO, if you are a parent and contacting COLLEGE coaches for your child... STOP! Make THEM do it! College coaches (in my experience) would rather hear from the athlete, not their mommy!

Above all, research (and if possible, visit campus) the SCHOOLS first, and decide which one is the best fit academically, socially, athletically. One will just feel "right." Choosing a school based ONLY on the cheer program is just not good advice!

***Can you tell I'm new to this forum - LOL? Thank goodness this is in the newbie forum! Reposted to reply to the original author. Sorry!!!

Excellent advice!!! Prospective student athletes and their families should always be looking for the right fit in ALL areas!!! One visit to the student's "dream" school campus and the feelings may quickly change. I would also suggest the family keeping an open mind as to what the school really does have going for it. We have found that making good contact and actually conversing with the coaching staff has revealed that such and such school is really a much better fit for our child than we thought at first. Thanks Coach for sharing your knowledge with us newbies!! I am at least six years away from recruiting for my CP but I will also be looking for any knowledge I can gain in that area! ;)

This is my first post. Mom to 3 girls, one grown and two all star cheerleaders. Looking forward to learning. This is the start of our third full year season. :p

3rd post. Now to wait 71.4 hours!
Bring it on!!!!!

It'll only seem like 62 hours, I bet!

The Fierce Board App! || If you're not on Fierce Board, I question your commitment.

Back