High School Northeast Regionals... Let's Talk Abt It!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is devastating.
Yup, I really feel bad for all the girls in NY. I cheered with many girls from SI high school programs (Sea, Hill) and one of my former teammates coaches Sea now. Really sad to see such a powerhouse program take this hit. I wonder if we're going to see a shift to All Star programs in the area, SI specifically.

Yup, I really feel bad for all the girls in NY. I cheered with many girls from SI high school programs (Sea, Hill) and one of my former teammates coaches Sea now. Really sad to see such a powerhouse program take this hit. I wonder if we're going to see a shift to All Star programs in the area, SI specifically.

I feel like all this does is takes kids away from school cheer and pushes them to all-star and NY schools are going to suffer and have less cheerleaders, especially where competition is the driving factor.

How do you mean? This happens a lot and changes are made but they still host their national.
If Varsity changes the formatting so that teams only compete once per day, NY teams may still be able to compete. The problem is that, under new NY cheer rules, teams are only allowed to compete once per day. UCA Nationals is currently set up with prelims in the AM and finals in the PM, making teams that advance compete twice in a day.

I know it kinda sucks for New York, but many states like Georgia and Virginia, and many others have really strong school teams and they haven't been allowed to go to any Nationals for a long time. I don't think it will (or should) affect the school teams there. I'm curious to see what happens to UCA/NCA High School Nationals when more and more states start to have cheer as a sport and don't allow out-of-state competitions.

Just read an article about this on SILive.com. Looks like NY teams won't be competing next year. Apparently being designated a sport means they can't compete twice in one day...which means UCA is out. This article was posted to Facebook by a St. Joseph by the Sea alum, so I assume that will apply to private schools as well.

Changes coming for Staten Island high school competitive cheerleading next year | SILive.com
Like the article says, be careful what you wish for.
This should be really interesting for some schools who for the most part discourage their athletes from cheering both school and all-star (Rocky Point and Mt. Sinai come to mind). May be quite a game changer for our allstar gyms.

Wonder if teams that typically qualify straight to semis would still be able to compete. Because then that would only be 1x per day. Or they UCA could be made a three day comp with prelims on Friday. I'm sure Disney and Varsity would love that.
ETA: I might be remembering it wrong...is it that everyone does prelims and then top finishers go straight to finals? That makes more sense. But since there is no guarantee, it's a crapshoot and cannot be counted on.

Last edited:
If Varsity changes the formatting so that teams only compete once per day, NY teams may still be able to compete. The problem is that, under new NY cheer rules, teams are only allowed to compete once per day. UCA Nationals is currently set up with prelims in the AM and finals in the PM, making teams that advance compete twice in a day.

I know this sounds silly, but what about HS Basketball tourneys. You may have 2 games per day in those especially around the holidays....

Wonder if teams that typically qualify straight to semis would still be able to compete. Because then that would only be 1x per day. Or they UCA could be made a three day comp with prelims on Friday. I'm sure Disney and Varsity would love that.
ETA: I might be remembering it wrong...is it that everyone does prelims and then top finishers go straight to finals? That makes more sense. But since there is no guarantee, it's a crapshoot and cannot be counted on.
Everyone does prelims and then a few go straight to finals and the rest that made it through go to semi finals.

I just heard that a lot of our favorite teams are still
Having tryouts! Omg I couldn't imagine what this is like for the powerhouse teams!!

Back