All-Star Not Going To Summit

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 17, 2017
With almost all of the summit bids having been given out for this year, I am wondering how parents of kids who won't be going to summit feel. Are you happy to save the money or do you wish that your kid got the opportunity this year?

Our gym strategically did not go to Summit bid events this season. The gym is small but growing rapidly. We went to some destination comps so the kids got that great team travel bonding experience. If the teams score fantastically at US Finals, maybe Summit bid events will be added for next year. But thats a big financial commitment, and adjustments to the comp schedule would have to be made. Most of our families can not afford to travel multiple times a year for cheer.

My CP went to summit last year. Going to Summit was one of the reasons that I put her on prep this year. Personally, I just find it to be an overpriced, unnecessary competition. CP is disappointed because the team that she would have been on if she had not gone to prep is going to Summit. She loved Summit and wants to return. I am relieved. Feel like a dodged a bullet with her not being on that team. I am also excited that our gym will no longer be accepting Summit bids except for Senior teams starting next season. CP has one more year of being a junior. Yay!!!
If a team at our gym does not go to Summit, they go to US Finals. And I am perfectly happy with that.

My CP went to summit last year. Going to Summit was one of the reasons that I put her on prep this year. Personally, I just find it to be an overpriced, unnecessary competition. CP is disappointed because the team that she would have been on if she had not gone to prep is going to Summit. She loved Summit and wants to return. I am relieved. Feel like a dodged a bullet with her not being on that team. I am also excited that our gym will no longer be accepting Summit bids except for Senior teams starting next season. CP has one more year of being a junior. Yay!!!
If a team at our gym does not go to Summit, they go to US Finals. And I am perfectly happy with that.
I’ve never been...is US Finals significantly cheaper to travel to than Orlando? Where is it?

After two years straight of going to summit, we switched to a gym that doesnt go to summit for a bit of a break. It was a neat experience, but it required so much travel to get the bids and then it was more travel to attend. It's hard to miss so much school and while it was nice to have been, we are happy to have it checked off the to-do list.

Also it may be my imagination, but the amount of bids being given since this started seems to be exponential. With the original single summit competition back a few years ago with 300 bids (I may be remembering wrong), to multiple summits with well over 1,200 bids each now, it seems a bit much.

I think this makes so much sense - unpopular opinion but I always thought that Summit should only be for senior teams!! I see parent and athlete burnout and boredom happening earlier and more often each year. This is a great way to make it more cost effective and less stressful in the early years and give athletes something to strive for and look forward to.

We also do prep mostly to avoid too much travel. I really wouldn’t mind a team that travels only within a reasonable driving distance, and goes to Summit if they get a bid, but we simply can’t do multiple multi-day competitions that require a minimum of 2 days of school missed.

Last year, all our travel teams had bids. This year only our senior 5r does. While we have one more bid competition, for the most part the gym is focusing on next season. It’s a very different feel.

My CP also didn't get a Summit Bid. Neither one of us really wanted to go. If I want to go to Disney I'd rather go and not worry about cheer. It's rough because her team is the only one during their practice time that isn't going, though.

ETA: Not going to Summit does not make a failed season!

We went to Summit last year and it was a great experience even though cp’s Team didn’t make it past Saturday. I am fine not making it this year. So much travel trying to get a bid.

Amen! Too many comments to quote because ITA with it all. Also, @quithedrama I kind of like the idea of only Senior teams going, makes sense to me, or how about only Senior teams can get PAID bids, but good luck trying to sell that one to the masses...LOL

Amen! Too many comments to quote because ITA with it all. Also, @quithedrama I kind of like the idea of only Senior teams going, makes sense to me, or how about only Senior teams can get PAID bids, but good luck trying to sell that one to the masses...LOL

Yeah but then every Susie would want to be on a senior team as soon as they are age eligible... I think maybe only level 3 and up should go to Summit, then it's more "elite" and levels 1-2 are about learning and growing (and not spending tons of money).

Yeah but then every Susie would want to be on a senior team as soon as they are age eligible... I think maybe only level 3 and up should go to Summit, then it's more "elite" and levels 1-2 are about learning and growing (and not spending tons of money).

But the gym can still decide what is appropriate and best for the gym. Just because Susie wants to be on a senior squad doesn't mean that she will be on one.
I would like my CP to go to Summit one more time. But I really don't see her getting past level 2. She is finishing up her 6th year of cheer and her 1st at level 2. There are some amazing level 1 and level 2 squads out there. I feel that they are just as deserving to go to Summit as levels 3-5.

But the gym can still decide what is appropriate and best for the gym. Just because Susie wants to be on a senior squad doesn't mean that she will be on one.
I would like my CP to go to Summit one more time. But I really don't see her getting past level 2. She is finishing up her 6th year of cheer and her 1st at level 2. There are some amazing level 1 and level 2 squads out there. I feel that they are just as deserving to go to Summit as levels 3-5.

I don't disagree with you. Me and CP were super happy last night for her old best friend's Y2 getting a paid bid and they totally deserved it! It was just a suggestion of how to make Summit something some kids/parents don't have to go to too many years in a row. It's a tough one. I don't see my suggestion happening anyway so don't worry!

Back