All-Star Not So Funny Thing Happened....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's not just in cheer, but in all of business and all of life.

I had an employee call me "the focus of evil" at my last job. I didn't really believe him.

wow...those are some harsh words. Of course they're not true...I mean, you aren't the entire focus ;)

We got the treatment last year when we switched gyms. Cp was told to never come back, banned from the banquet, completely cutoff. Oh, and told she would never make it at our new gym. A girl that left this year was called a traitor...in front of other kids at the gym. The owner saw my cp at a competition, stood next to her to watch a video, and didn't say a word.

Fast forward to last week when team placements for our gym were announced and they find out what team she made. Suddenly she exists again. I would hope it is because they realize the error of their ways....

Well I know of places like this personally! Being friendly with the giver of such terms I can tell you it's mostly out of hurt and used as a protection tool. If the ones that leave come back to tumble before a lot of time has passed it is feared they will try to sell their "greener" side to existing patrons. It has also been a hard pill for them to swollow that they thought these kids the skills to take with them and to have to rebuild again. All of which has happened, right, wrong or indifferent. However in this economy one should realize every dollar is important.

This happens so much. It's sad and really really self defeating. I watch gyms like this shrink and disappear all the time.

A small local gym lost some athletes to some more established gyms...the athletes that left were told not to return for tumbling classes or open gym or privates. Why would a gym not want those children to stay connected? Why would they not want money for privates or classes? How can anyone think that would be a good business practice? I am so confused?

Would not the smartest thing for the small local gym be, to wish an athlete luck on their new adventure and remind them that the door is always open and if it doesn't work out at the new gym they would be welcome back! Am I being naive?

Neither the athlete or the gym should close any doors, you never know what your future may hold. Why are coaches/business owners so short sighted? AM I missing something in this equation? What is the pay off for the owner/coach to shut off all connection to the athlete that is leaving? Is it to send a message to others who are thinking of leaving?

While I don't think anyone should burn any bridges ever...it's just silly. Open gym should be just that...open to anyone. However, there are many gyms that do not allow kids from other gyms to take classes or privates with their instructors. If you look at it from a competitive standpoint why should they? Why would gym A want to train gym B's athletes that they will potentially be competing against? Just recently at CP's gym some kids came in saying they were planning on switching gyms, took privates with one of our instructors, improved their skills and then went back to their home gym with their newly perfected skills. Those nice skills will now compete against us. So I definitely see it both ways. With that said there's no place for poor behavior on an owner/coach's part when an athlete departs one program for another. Just as there should be no place for parent's and kids leaving a program to act nasty on their way out the door.

I get so sick of these gyms preaching this LOYALTY thing....NEWS FLASH my loyalty is to my CP. I will skip, hop, jump, however you want to call it to anywhere that best suits my CP's needs. Also, why do gyms feel thta because they they taught CP some skills (that I paid for) that they now own my CP, I mean my CP's teacher taught her to read but that does not mean that she owns my CP for life becuase of it. Gyms are a business run it as such. Gym Owners keep your emotions in check and you will be better off. #Getyourheartoffyoursleeve

Just bad business. I never understand the BASHING that takes place between gyms. To my knowledge other than a RARE few (that have just been extremely negative) our doors are always open, and better yet, if I EVER see one of my old kids on another team I try to be front row and cheer them on. Why not? Is the almighty dollar so big that it's necessary to HATE a child or program just because they leave your program? I know I'm not the only one but I hear horror stories like this all the time, it's just senseless.

It all boils down to insecurity. Gyms/coaches that aren't confident in their own programs are the worst perpetrators of this. Tearing down others is the only way they know how to "beat" others bc they can't figure out how to do it on the mat.

When I left my old gym for time off, they were very nice. Most of them were. I'd go to comps to support my friend who left the team for a gym that most athletes go to if they don't go to another big name. My old coach was upset that I wasnt competing and happy for my friend. And others assumed I switched and act as though I was stranger. Someone who coached me for 5+ years. The owner told me I was always welcomed there. I wasn't the first girl to leave, and my gym accepted that it didn't offer what other programs did, and when one of our girls left to go to the big name, they were happy that they weren't being held down.

My point is, little gym should have some pride when the only level 5 athlete is making these Worlds team. It's your talent and maybe it will make younger girls want they same and you can build a level 5. And be nice, sometimes on rude comment about a child can change views. Gym changing isn't always about wanting to wear a known name, but atmosphere,opportunities, convience ect.

For the past 4 years my CP has always taken privates at a different gym then the one she competes with....why? 1) Different coach with a different prospective. 2) Closer to home, any number of reasons. Its a good idea to keep the door open if your a buisness owner or client.

I recently found out that when we left our old gym, the owner was upset and told some parents "I made her!" (meaning my cp, who had multiple BHS at the time...LOL). But her saying that was the nail in her coffin because it really helped to solidify the other parents' decision to move to a new gym the next season. That gym is now closed, only two seasons after we left. Now, it wasn't her trash talking that closed the gym, or obviously my kid leaving, it was really bad business practices in general.

At our current gym, unless you've been asked to leave, the door is always open. It's always nice to see the girls intermingling with other gyms/past teammates. It really helps create good sportsmanship as a whole.

After I left my old gym, I was informed I had no talent and no business cheering.
Needless to say I didn't return.

I wish people would grow up!

Latest posts

Back