All-Star Not So Funny Thing Happened....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

so what is your opinion of an athlete that drives past your gym to cheer at another gym farther away yet tumbles and does some privates at your gym?

At this time we do not have that situation. Our location is unique in that there are not a lot of gyms close to us. However we do have athletes that drive past their gym to come to us for tumbling privates or open gyms though. A few of the college athletes come in to our open gyms as well. We do allow privates for Non - members at a higher rate than members. Not to dissuade them from taking privates but to give our members every first possible chance of booking them. On average I have between 10 - 15 privates a month from non members. I also have athletes come in from other gyms by recommendation of their coaches to work with me if they are having mental blocks or challenges. Again if they follow the rules, then it is not an issue.

However I have been at gyms where the exact opposite was the case. They did not allow anybody from any other gym to come in and tumble.

I know in Tennessee I drove 1.5 hrs for my daughter to cheer at one gym 3 days a week on 2 teams. Then on 2 days a week I drove to the close gym. One for a tumbling class and the other day for a private. We were always more then welcome. She would sometimes wear her warm up jacket from the other gym if it was cold. I had a lot of parents at her tumble gym asking why we lived there by that gym but chose to drive. She had kids in her tumbling class begging her to switch to that gym. She also had wonderful coaches there. Who was at a couple competitions we were at and one of them came up front priority seating by me to watch my daughter when his team goes on next in the same division. He screamed for Jaylen just as he screamed for his teams. To me that was real. I have so much respect for that coach and that gym. On days we would have privates I'd sit there and talk to him and he never bad mouthed Jaylens cheer gym not once. She even performed both of her routines for him full out at the gym just because she wanted to and he sat there and encouraged her the whole time. If we ever had to move back and that drive was not an option we would be there in a heart beat!

We don't allow anyone to take privates at our gym unless they are members. If they want privates they have to enroll in classes or be on a team.

Wanna Be a Rockstar!?
Rockstarcheer.com

We do allow privates for Non - members at a higher rate than members.

that's not a bad idea from a business perspective.

i was just curious as to what the perception was. everyone is so nice at the local gym my cp takes classes and privates at and she really likes one of the tumbling coaches, so we haven't had an issue. well, she did have an issue with an athlete last night but kids will be kids....

A small local gym lost some athletes to some more established gyms...the athletes that left were told not to return for tumbling classes or open gym or privates. Why would a gym not want those children to stay connected? Why would they not want money for privates or classes? How can anyone think that would be a good business practice? I am so confused?

Would not the smartest thing for the small local gym be, to wish an athlete luck on their new adventure and remind them that the door is always open and if it doesn't work out at the new gym they would be welcome back! Am I being naive?

Neither the athlete or the gym should close any doors, you never know what your future may hold. Why are coaches/business owners so short sighted? AM I missing something in this equation? What is the pay off for the owner/coach to shut off all connection to the athlete that is leaving? Is it to send a message to others who are thinking of leaving?

We had a simillar situation in the city where i live, there at the time was only one all star gym and some of the athletes at that gym had a falling out with the owner and decided to start their own gym.

It got messy and angry when the first gym wouldn't allow anyone who switched to go to open gym and publicly harassed them. It's gotten slightly better since but it was ugly for awhile.

I get so sick of these gyms preaching this LOYALTY thing....NEWS FLASH my loyalty is to my CP. I will skip, hop, jump, however you want to call it to anywhere that best suits my CP's needs. Also, why do gyms feel thta because they they taught CP some skills (that I paid for) that they now own my CP, I mean my CP's teacher taught her to read but that does not mean that she owns my CP for life becuase of it. Gyms are a business run it as such. Gym Owners keep your emotions in check and you will be better off. #Getyourheartoffyoursleeve

AMEN. I tell my staff that we sell cartwheels and we better give our customers what they pay for. It is wonderful to have gym loyalty but that is only going to happen if you offer a good product and don't make your customer feel like they're trapped. We don't own kids or their cartwheels, what we DO own is the ability to teach and that's not going anywhere.

Well she had it since she was 5 almost 6 and just so she can talk to people. She also has a twitter.. And trust me her tweets and posts are very juvenile and they mostly consist of the word "swag"..she really just likes to look at pics and she has an iPhone too. I know what she does and watch everything she posts. It's really just the way I choose to let her be raised so sorry if that offends you.

And FYI quite a few 7 year olds have Facebook so she isn't the only one!
She can work all that by herself? Wow that's some talent lol

She can work all that by herself? Wow that's some talent lol

She can only work the old mobile version of twitter by herself from app. For the life of her she struggles with it on the newest app update.
We don't have a computer thats hooked up to the Internet so she really only uses her phone.

As far as Facebook she is a pro. She can tag people and upload pics. She knows how to find her friends and posts statuses. She is only really use the mobile/Facebook app of that too. She has been on the computer and done it but I have to get her there because she can't do it without my help on a real computer.

I am no longer an all star cheerleader, but when I told my coaches I would be taking a year off or so off to focus on my grades and high school cheerleading they understood. All Star is a very demanding sport, and sometimes people just aren't happy where they're at.

On that note, I was always invited back, and I tumble up there a few times a week. My high school team also tumbles there, and I know some girls on my high school team that used to do that all star gym, and now do not. But they are always welcomed back.

Better to be nice than rude. And I'm sure coaches don't mind the buisness for classes whether the girl cheers there or not.

Just to post from a slightly different point of view. Some of you are aware I have had a very difficult 8 months with a couple of parents at my gym culminating in 2 leaving and 2 being asked to leave. Yes I did instantly remove them and their children off the facebook group as I saw it as a matter of child protection. It is a closed group where I post information specific for the cheerleaders; they can ask me questions, post photos etc and I did not think it was appropriate to have people still on there when they are not part of the gym. I have all my cheerleaders and their parents as 'friend's' on FB but actually they are in a group that cannot see one jot of my profile, what I post nor can they post to it. It is only there so that they can inbox me - you can't inbox me unless you are a friend, as I am a teacher and I don't want to get spammed from the kids at school.
It did cause offense when I removed them and they were extremely unhappy. My response was if you have caused me so many problems and are now not part of the gym any more, you don't need to know what time we are meeting next week for bowling, nor do you need to see pictures of our lovely new uniform before it is debuted. Anyone that leaves under happy terms; IE not owing us money and not causing us untold drama, is welcome to stay my 'friend' on FB but I will absolutely remove you from the FB group - it is a matter of child protection and we have laws here to support this.

She can only work the old mobile version of twitter by herself from app. For the life of her she struggles with it on the newest app update.
We don't have a computer thats hooked up to the Internet so she really only uses her phone.

As far as Facebook she is a pro. She can tag people and upload pics. She knows how to find her friends and posts statuses. She is only really use the mobile/Facebook app of that too. She has been on the computer and done it but I have to get her there because she can't do it without my help on a real computer.

Oh my...she's 7 and has a phone too LOL!

Sorry, but this is part of the problem. The fact that people don't see an issue with a 7 year old texting, tweeting and facebooking away. Not sure what happened to common sense in "the social media" age!!!! Ugh.

What problem?
I'm a mother first and I know everything my daughter texts, tweets, and facebooks.

The problem isn't with my 7 year old talking about swag,
the problem is these kids sending inappropriate pics, doing drugs, and talking to who they don't need to be talking too.

If I want to let me daughter text her cheer friends, and her grandmother then that's something I choose to do.
My daughter is very smart. She makes excellent grades and I know she is in the top of her class. Quite a few people know my cp on here and they can attest to that. So please worry about your own kids.

Thank you.

Back