All-Star Not So Funny Thing Happened....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My philsophy has always been what is best for the person and family. With that being said, gyms that do this only cause more issues for themselves in the long run. While losing a talented athlete can be painful and shocking, to just treat them as they never existed is not OK. We are all human and there is emotional point involved there, however, remember we are working with KIDS and we should as coaches, parents, gym owners, etc do what is best for the kid!

I get so sick of these gyms preaching this LOYALTY thing....NEWS FLASH my loyalty is to my CP. I will skip, hop, jump, however you want to call it to anywhere that best suits my CP's needs. Also, why do gyms feel thta because they they taught CP some skills (that I paid for) that they now own my CP, I mean my CP's teacher taught her to read but that does not mean that she owns my CP for life becuase of it. Gyms are a business run it as such. Gym Owners keep your emotions in check and you will be better off. #Getyourheartoffyoursleeve
I would like to shimmy this to infinity. It's exactly how I feel. My loyalty is to my two cp's. If I can get them better coaches, better competitions, more skills and the real opportunity to progress to the elite level of this sport why wouldn't I do that just because I started somewhere else? The program we came from is basically a stout rec program. It can't field a team above level three and it can't coach tumbling correctly. I paid three years of money to have to pay all over to have her rebuilt and her tumbling technique fixed. My son who only ever learned from our new gym has already caught...if not passed her.

If I wasn't loyal to my kid I would've left her at the cheaper, easier place where she would've been the superstar...eventually of no better than level three....and never had a chance to compete at cheersport or UCA (both of which are on her schedule for her jr4 team this year).

I don't apologize to McDonald's when I choose to go to burger king. It's about what I want, not what the people I'm paying want.

#endrant.

Well since we left our gym I feel like everybody hates us. No we weren't deleted off Facebook and yes they told us we can always come back but I still have that feeling.

I will also say my daughter is the one who is most affected by the move. All these girls on the older team use to tell my daughter all these things and treat her like their little sister and "like" all her stupid Facebook posts and text her. Well it went from like 20 of them to 2 of them that still treat her the same since we left. She recently turned 7 so she doesn't understand that it is life and it just happens. She thinks they all hate her! I feel so bad for her and she cried about it a lot at first but Jaylen is the type of person to not have a problem friending people especially with older kids.

She already has new friends that are older girls and on the best team at her new gym that are texting her and friending her on Facebook and taking pics with her. So she feels better and has new girls to look up to but I know it still bothers her!

Well since we left our gym I feel like everybody hates us. No we weren't deleted off Facebook and yes they told us we can always come back but I still have that feeling.

I will also say my daughter is the one who is most affected by the move. All these girls on the older team use to tell my daughter all these things and treat her like their little sister and "like" all her stupid Facebook posts and text her. Well it went from like 20 of them to 2 of them that still treat her the same since we left. She recently turned 7 so she doesn't understand that it is life and it just happens. She thinks they all hate her! I feel so bad for her and she cried about it a lot at first but Jaylen is the type of person to not have a problem friending people especially with older kids.

She already has new friends that are older girls and on the best team at her new gym that are texting her and friending her on Facebook and taking pics with her. So she feels better and has new girls to look up to but I know it still bothers her!

A 7 year old on facebook? Yikes. That's a little too much for me.

A 7 year old on facebook? Yikes. That's a little too much for me.

Well she had it since she was 5 almost 6 and just so she can talk to people. She also has a twitter.. And trust me her tweets and posts are very juvenile and they mostly consist of the word "swag"..she really just likes to look at pics and she has an iPhone too. I know what she does and watch everything she posts. It's really just the way I choose to let her be raised so sorry if that offends you.

And FYI quite a few 7 year olds have Facebook so she isn't the only one!

I recently found out that when we left our old gym, the owner was upset and told some parents "I made her!" (meaning my cp, who had multiple BHS at the time...LOL). But her saying that was the nail in her coffin because it really helped to solidify the other parents' decision to move to a new gym the next season. That gym is now closed, only two seasons after we left. Now, it wasn't her trash talking that closed the gym, or obviously my kid leaving, it was really bad business practices in general.

At our current gym, unless you've been asked to leave, the door is always open. It's always nice to see the girls intermingling with other gyms/past teammates. It really helps create good sportsmanship as a whole.
This is ONE of the biggest problems in cheerleading today! I HATE, HATE, HATE coaches that say this! Yes, coaches do so much for kids that they have trained. However, YOU are NOT throwing the skill. You may have taught the kid and can take extreme pride when watching them in knowing you have helped their success, but YOU are NOT the kid, YOU are NOT the skill.

Ok let's get one thing straight. These cp's and parents are Leaving their gym for a reason. Rather it be winning, unhappy or just not a right fit. Those families will attend classes,open gyms, and privates and become a poison in that gym. Most people who switch 99% of the time say something negative about there old gym. If they didn't they wouldn't be leaving. It's the truth

Well she had it since she was 5 almost 6 and just so she can talk to people. She also has a twitter.. And trust me her tweets and posts are very juvenile and they mostly consist of the word "swag"..she really just likes to look at pics and she has an iPhone too. I know what she does and watch everything she posts. It's really just the way I choose to let her be raised so sorry if that offends you.

And FYI quite a few 7 year olds have Facebook so she isn't the only one!

Not offended. Just a comment. I coach a lot of kids that are a lot older than her that don't understand the fact that social media is a slippery slope.

This is ONE of the biggest problems in cheerleading today! I HATE, HATE, HATE coaches that say this! Yes, coaches do so much for kids that they have trained. However, YOU are NOT throwing the skill. You may have taught the kid and can take extreme pride when watching them in knowing you have helped their success, but YOU are NOT the kid, YOU are NOT the skill.
I wish they'd take that kind of responsibility when someone blows an ACL because they weren't trained to spot, block, set and ride before they spin and rather were taught those head throwing, low flying, spins of death we've all seen.

When that happens they blame the technique on the kid.

Ok let's get one thing straight. These cp's and parents are Leaving their gym for a reason. Rather it be winning, unhappy or just not a right fit. Those families will attend classes,open gyms, and privates and become a poison in that gym. Most people who switch 99% of the time say something negative about there old gym. If they didn't they wouldn't be leaving. It's the truth
True. Which is why they 99% of the time won't ever step foot in there again...so as the gym owner, what do you gain by burning the bridge and telling them NOT to come back. Then you are the problem and the people who left can now say..."see!" to go along with whatever else they have negative to say. It's just not savvy business sense.

Not offended. Just a comment. I coach a lot of kids that are a lot older than her that don't understand the fact that social media is a slippery slope.

I agree social media can be a slippery slope for some but it is not that serious. I know a lot of people rather read my daughters Facebook then a teenagers Facebook. I think this is where we wait for all these kids parents to step up and do the parenting!

a6cd096b-d056-abc9.jpg
a6cd096b-d064-d6fd.jpg

a6cd096b-d084-6572.jpg

I agree. It has always bothered me personally that when they leave, why keep coming back to the old gym? Coming to visit and say hi is one thing. Coming to work out when you have basically told the gym in one way or the other that they are not good enough for you, does bother some people. That doesn't make you immature, it makes you human. (now how they act is a whole different matter :) ) If the gym was not a fit, wasn't good enough, didn't compete at big enough events, or whatever what is the purpose in keep returning to that gym? Even if it is open gym? Why can't they tumble at their new gym and get their skills?

In no way should the adults be immature about it. But just because a parent is spending their money doesn't mean a gym has to let some one in either, especially if they left on bad terms, or has been a source of much drama since leaving. I think that bothers me more - that because someone has money they can get whatever they want.

I have been on both sides of this issue and I can honestly see it from both points of view. I have had the kids from other gyms come in and try to recruit kids during open gym. I have had kids from outside gyms tell our kids on the floor in our gym that our teams sucked and why were they wasting their time there. I have had the kids that only wanted to tumble with me, but claimed every other coach in the gym sucked and they couldn't stand them - so why on earth would I let them in? And I have had those kids come in from other programs completely respectful, never arguing a negative word and just genuinely happy to be in the gym - any gym to work out. Kids who left because of distance to drive who never bad mouthed the gym who chose to come back. Former athletes who still cheer at other programs but who come in every now and then to tumble with their old friends. As long as they are respectful and follow gym rules then it is fine.

If you don't burn a bridge when you leave you will more than often be welcomed back whether it is an open gym or to compete. If you burn bridges as a parent or athlete, then it is the gym choice whether they want to look past that drama and let you back in. If they don't, don't blame them - blame yourself.

Yes gym owners and coaches can start it too. In such cases they should be mature enough to move past the hurt of how they feel. Difficult yes, but move on.

I agree. It has always bothered me personally that when they leave, why keep coming back to the old gym? Coming to visit and say hi is one thing. Coming to work out when you have basically told the gym in one way or the other that they are not good enough for you, does bother some people. That doesn't make you immature, it makes you human. (now how they act is a whole different matter :) ) If the gym was not a fit, wasn't good enough, didn't compete at big enough events, or whatever what is the purpose in keep returning to that gym? Even if it is open gym? Why can't they tumble at their new gym and get their skills?

In no way should the adults be immature about it. But just because a parent is spending their money doesn't mean a gym has to let some one in either, especially if they left on bad terms, or has been a source of much drama since leaving. I think that bothers me more - that because someone has money they can get whatever they want.

I have been on both sides of this issue and I can honestly see it from both points of view. I have had the kids from other gyms come in and try to recruit kids during open gym. I have had kids from outside gyms tell our kids on the floor in our gym that our teams sucked and why were they wasting their time there. I have had the kids that only wanted to tumble with me, but claimed every other coach in the gym sucked and they couldn't stand them - so why on earth would I let them in? And I have had those kids come in from other programs completely respectful, never arguing a negative word and just genuinely happy to be in the gym - any gym to work out. Kids who left because of distance to drive who never bad mouthed the gym who chose to come back. Former athletes who still cheer at other programs but who come in every now and then to tumble with their old friends. As long as they are respectful and follow gym rules then it is fine.

If you don't burn a bridge when you leave you will more than often be welcomed back whether it is an open gym or to compete. If you burn bridges as a parent or athlete, then it is the gym choice whether they want to look past that drama and let you back in. If they don't, don't blame them - blame yourself.

Yes gym owners and coaches can start it too. In such cases they should be mature enough to move past the hurt of how they feel. Difficult yes, but move on.

so what is your opinion of an athlete that drives past your gym to cheer at another gym farther away yet tumbles and does some privates at your gym?

Back