All-Star October Update To Varsity Scoring System

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So let's play devil's advocate for a minute. IF you got your scoresheets back and your team had a bobble that was marked as a bobble but some how got deducted as if it were a fall. Is there any legitimate way to challenge that score? I know there was some discussion some time back about a competition getting re-scored, but I was thinking that was an unusual event. Thoughts?

ASCheerMan This past weekend was my first time competing on the Varsity score sheet & let me tell you how impressed I was (AmeriCheer Buckeye Open Nationals). I was using this comp as my "foot in the water test" to see if we'd make the full switch to Varsity and I'm happy we took the chance!! The judging across the board was so accurate from Day 1- Day 2 and the comments we received were very constructive. Sometimes in a 2 day comp (and even 1 day) you see difficulty scores range across the judges - not here. The judges seemed to very trained on the score sheet and noted very minor details that would add to value. I was so impressed with the scoring. Kudos to Varsity for training your judges well!
Mandi,
Thanks for taking the time to compliment the system. It's much appreciated. I will forewarn you that there WILL be hiccups and a learning curve, but it means a lot that you feel they got it right. :)

"Inversion" for pyramids in level 6 - that just means a head below your knees type of situation right? It doesn't have to be a full rewind up to a pyramid?

Also, for twisting, does a half twist count? Like a half twist from a cradle up to a swedish fall?

I hate to ask about "bare minimums" but if you don't do a level 6 appropriate transition, you won't get into that range at all.

So let's play devil's advocate for a minute. IF you got your scoresheets back and your team had a bobble that was marked as a bobble but some how got deducted as if it were a fall. Is there any legitimate way to challenge that score? I know there was some discussion some time back about a competition getting re-scored, but I was thinking that was an unusual event. Thoughts?
How (and whether or not) score challenges are handled is a decision up to the brand. Some of the brands range from an official review of every single challenge to absolutely no challenges.

What creates a challenge when you get onto this topic is: at some point, the results of a game/sport/competition have to reflect what the judges saw during that competition. I have no doubt that pulling out videos of routines and combing through them over and over are going to produce different scores, deductions and ultimately results. But at some point, you have to shut the books and say--for better or worse--this is how the judges saw it.

I'm not stating that with a lack of sympathy for the team that received a deduction for a phantom fall that never happened or for the team that spent all year getting a majority throwing a backhandspring, but not getting credit for it. All those scenarios would justify a review at some level.

One of the characteristics I like of the Varsity Brands is the independence each brand has to apply 'score challenge' philosophies. I have my philosophy and parameters that NCA applies, but I would never in a million years, intrude upon American Cheer Power or Spirit Sport's process for acknowledging them.

"Inversion" for pyramids in level 6 - that just means a head below your knees type of situation right? It doesn't have to be a full rewind up to a pyramid?

Also, for twisting, does a half twist count? Like a half twist from a cradle up to a swedish fall?

I hate to ask about "bare minimums" but if you don't do a level 6 appropriate transition, you won't get into that range at all.
You are correct. Inversions are not necessarily rewinds and half twists count as twisting.

Ashley, you keep me on my Level 6 toes... LOL

You are correct. Inversions are not necessarily rewinds and half twists count as twisting.

Ashley, you keep me on my Level 6 toes... LOL

I know! No one ever cares about level 6 because we don't make anyone money! But we're a worlds division too!

Thank you :)

ASCheerMan Just want to clarify something... Let's say I have a level 2 team. Since each BHS counts now, a pass of RO BHS BHS BHS would score higher than FWO RO BHS because it is 3 vs. 1 correct? In my mind, specialty passes always scored higher, but I don't want to waste energy and floor space doing FWO when I could just add another BHS and get points for it.

CoachTamara, ASCheerMan - IIRC a FHS Stepout is Level 2. So what is to stop someone from declaring a FWOROBHS - 1 skill for Level 2 is not actually a FHS Stepout ROBHS - 2 skills? Do we have a "judges" definition of the difference? Or are we going to use a gymnastic type visual difference - must be a block/repulsion of hands, legs touch at vertical and then split back out where a running FWO there is no block, legs remain split and is a flex standing skill put into running tumbling? Before we remove all FHS stepouts that is?

CoachTamara, ASCheerMan - IIRC a FHS Stepout is Level 2. So what is to stop someone from declaring a FWOROBHS - 1 skill for Level 2 is not actually a FHS Stepout ROBHS - 2 skills? Do we have a "judges" definition of the difference? Or are we going to use a gymnastic type visual difference - must be a block/repulsion of hands, legs touch at vertical and then split back out where a running FWO there is no block, legs remain split and is a flex standing skill put into running tumbling? Before we remove all FHS stepouts that is?

I have always assumed that a judge would consider a FWO to be with feet apart at beginning and end, and a FHS either starts with a punch (feet together) and steps out or ends with feet together.
However, I am curious. We have incorporated many FHS into my level 2 routine, especially for those that are not great back tumblers. It has really helped my kids with feeling like they are making progress with tumbling even if they just can't quite get that BHS.

Starting with 2 together - ie a punch - is technically a front flyspring not a front handspring.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Starting with 2 together - ie a punch - is technically a front flyspring not a front handspring.

Fly springs are my favorite... So pretty when done right! I just figured that was what judges would consider a front handspring for scoring purposes.

Fly springs are my favorite... So pretty when done right! I just figured that was what judges would consider a front handspring for scoring purposes.

Same here. Along with Onodi's and Millers. I love front tumbling when it is done right.

tumbleyoda CoachTamara for some reason I thought the FWO vs FHS was differentiated by length of time the hands were on the floor... like if your hands are still on the ground while the first foot is landing it's a FWO? I could totally be making this up, I tend to do that ;)

If an athlete blocks though shoulders then first foot should never be on ground at the same time as hands. Just a different way to explain it. :)

Back