Oh Canada

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Personally, I'm excited. I think this announcement is going to force everyone trying out to up their game even more than they have needed to in previous years, especially for the guys. I think it's going to force the males to be more all-around athletes, as they'll need to stunt well and be able to carry at least some of the tumbling score, considering at least half of the males on Team USA could full last year.
@pctmom I knew about the rule but not the specifics, would a country be allowed to enter, for example, an all girl elite and a coed premier, or are you only allowed to enter one level?

Countries could offer teams in either level if they so wished, as long as they kept it to two, and one all girl and one coed. And that was discussed - do we maintain a presence in both divisions? The reality is that with 5 wins for all girl elite and 5 wins in coed elite it would be hard to choose for one of the teams to stay in Elite without being seen as very opportunistic. And there is an argument to be made for both, or either or neither. CCU decided to forge into the future and do what they (we) believe to be strategically the right move for Canadian cheerleading. Its upset some folks but in the long run we are hoping that it will be successful.

We do agree that especially in the Coed division, coaches will be looking for all-around athletes that can stunt and tumble - 18 of them exist in Canada (I know they do!). Glad to hear you support the new direction and challenge we have ahead of us.

Personally, I'm excited. I think this announcement is going to force everyone trying out to up their game even more than they have needed to in previous years, especially for the guys. I think it's going to force the males to be more all-around athletes, as they'll need to stunt well and be able to carry at least some of the tumbling score, considering at least half of the males on Team USA could full last year.
@pctmom I knew about the rule but not the specifics, would a country be allowed to enter, for example, an all girl elite and a coed premier, or are you only allowed to enter one level?

I'm more excited about it now that I've heard about the rule change. I was under the impression that we were just dropping out of level 5 before, not being asked to choose only 2 teams.

This. My co-coach was on Coed Premier last year (couldn't compete because of an injury that happened in Florida) and he has been busting his butt for tumbling. He's a big guy, and it's not going to be an easy sell for him to get the tumbling, but he's trying harder than I've ever seen an athlete work. Just means extra hours in the gym for me to help him, and I'm more than proud to do it!

So PCA Nationals is around the corner (Nov 29-30) and I'm wondering which teams are entering this year...

The divisions are as follows:
Open 4.2

Open Small Co-ed L-6

Open All-Girl L-6

Open Large Co-ed L-6

- Cheerforce Wolfpack 6Pack

University All-Girl

Community College/CEGEP

University Large Co-ed

University Small Co-ed

International Open (4.2)

International All-Girl (L-5)

International Large Co-ed (L-5)

I only filled in the one team I know for sure (as I'm on it), for the rest, if anyone can add to the list that would be great.

So PCA Nationals is around the corner (Nov 29-30) and I'm wondering which teams are entering this year...

The divisions are as follows:
Open 4.2

Open Small Co-ed L-6

Open All-Girl L-6

- Cheersport Grey Reef Sharks

Open Large Co-ed L-6

- Cheerforce Wolfpack 6Pack
- Cheersport California Sharks

University All-Girl

Community College/CEGEP

University Large Co-ed

University Small Co-ed

International Open (4.2)

International All-Girl (L-5)

- Cheersport Great White Sharks
International Large Co-ed (L-5)

I only filled in the one team I know for sure (as I'm on it), for the rest, if anyone can add to the list that would be great.

Predictions for PCA anyone?

I'd love all 3 Cheer Sport teams to win again, but it was all very close last year, and with GGs coming this year, Great Whites can't really afford much in the way of mistakes, so it'll be interesting!

Did anyone on the board attend the Fall Classic?
I saw a video of PCT IOC5 ...wow!! They look great !

I wish I could have attended! Though I'm excited that I'm finally free on the weekend of CFTC AND it's the first year they're doing bids.
I agree about PCT. Was very pleasantly surprised by them!

Back