All-Star Old Coach New Cheer Mom

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thanks everyone! I think the root of it may be that the gym is her second home. She is there every day for after school activities and practices. The other coaches have worked with her too, so I'm thinking it's just going to have to be a decision she makes to work for it (Lord knows the opportunities to work are ample!)
I've already told my family to start encouraging her some more so we will see if that helps. I'm not going to stress out over it. If she gets it she gets it. C'est la blah blah blah!

I've been coaching longer than I've been a mom and this will be my third year coaching my daughter. I've turned absolute klutzes into good and great tumblers. My own child, who has grown up in the gym has yet to progress her tumbling beyond a round off. She is 8 and will be 9 in December. This is the best age to get those skills!! I don't push her too hard bc I want cheerleading to be something we can enjoy together. If she doesn't progress she won't love it tho bc shell eventually weed herself out as being an asset to a team with the complete package of skills missing. Seriously, she still can't do her bwo by herself (it's not a mental thing, she needs to correct her technique).

Any advice on how to push her without starting battles? I really want this to be an activity she excels at (she says she loves it but I always tell her if she ever doesn't then she doesn't have to do it and I'll be fine).

Oh wow- you sound like me! My daughter will be 8 in October and I have the same issues. When I owned a gym, it use to make me really angry because incoming parents would have high expectations for my daughter because she is the 'coach's/owner's daughter'. When she couldn't do much more than a cartwheel they would give me the sideways glance. It really burned me inside that adults would be so judgmental of my daughter.

I've coached my daughter for many years. I stopped two yrs ago. I used to be able to correct her with everything . Now I won't even attempt to correct her, the one time I did she was very quick to respond, thats not how my coaches want me to do it. ouchie..

Oh wow- you sound like me! My daughter will be 8 in October and I have the same issues. When I owned a gym, it use to make me really angry because incoming parents would have high expectations for my daughter because she is the 'coach's/owner's daughter'. When she couldn't do much more than a cartwheel they would give me the sideways glance. It really burned me inside that adults would be so judgmental of my daughter.

Yikes! My baby girl is a sassafrass and I adore her but she would NOT be a good example of what I can teach kids to do in tumbling! :p

Back