All-Star Olympics Just Granted Cheer Provisional Staus

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yeah the main question is when the time comes is how the score sheet will look. As NJ Coach said we might see an ICU format to a cheer Olympic event, but what if they went more toward a worlds routine feel? And would it be split up like ICU worlds where newer countries to the sport can be in a division with other less experienced places? After letting the news sink there are a ton of questions that will hopefully be answered in a few years.

What is this sport gonna be called cause I'm guessing it won't be affiliated with Allstar or college?

I think a lot of the comments made here so far are super true! I can't shimmy fast enough! I can see the USA Cheer team representing for America, but I think the fact that a lot of other countries don't have teams makes it a thing we will see FAR in the future.

Also, what would the level limit be? 5? 6? Would the routines be longer or would they need to compete a variety of different routines over the course of the season leading up to the finals? Even figure skaters have more than one routine to help them reach the end and win and all that!

I think we have a LONG road of questions and sadly we won't get a lot of answers for a LONG time as well! But, the dreaming an imagining is fun!

I think a lot of the comments made here so far are super true! I can't shimmy fast enough! I can see the USA Cheer team representing for America, but I think the fact that a lot of other countries don't have teams makes it a thing we will see FAR in the future.

Also, what would the level limit be? 5? 6? Would the routines be longer or would they need to compete a variety of different routines over the course of the season leading up to the finals? Even figure skaters have more than one routine to help them reach the end and win and all that!

I think we have a LONG road of questions and sadly we won't get a lot of answers for a LONG time as well! But, the dreaming an imagining is fun!

Lots of other countries do have teams though, if we're looking at ICU. 10-15, maybe?? I can't think/count them up at the moment.

The issues with cheer in the Olympics are similar to what hockey was experiencing. Not enough countries all competing at a high enough level. There was talk few years back about pulling hockey from the Olympics due to the dominance of 1-3 countries, for the most part, and also for the lack of countries in general who even put forward teams. The IOC won't allow in a sport which has dominance from 1-2 countries, and only 10-15 participating at all. They are looking for global representation.

Lots of other countries do have teams though, if we're looking at ICU. 10-15, maybe?? I can't think/count them up at the moment.

The issues with cheer in the Olympics are similar to what hockey was experiencing. Not enough countries all competing at a high enough level. There was talk few years back about pulling hockey from the Olympics due to the dominance of 1-3 countries, for the most part, and also for the lack of countries in general who even put forward teams. The IOC won't allow in a sport which has dominance from 1-2 countries, and only 10-15 participating at all. They are looking for global representation.

That was the point I meant to make. A decent number of countries have teams, but not enough to the level of America thanks to the years of competition and development of the sport here.

I didn't know that about Hockey, but it makes sense. Like you said, only a few countries are really able to make it far and represent the sport at the same high level of others.

Would love to get to see the amazing Asian and Mexican teams have the chance to compete on a world recognised stage - in the Nov 2016 videos thread someone mentioned that they couldn't afford Worlds.

Hopefully the changing location of the Olympics and the funding can help in some way.

These are the kinds of teams that will benefit from being considered an Olympic sport, I think the USA will benefit less overall than other countries because the opportunities are already quite vast for them (home country, levels of training etc).

EDIT - to say I completely agree with the issues of becoming an Olympic sport I'm just adding this point

Years ago I would have been happy about this. Now I'm just conflicted because as much as cheer deserves more recognition the mess that the "governing body" is in due to varsity right now is a joke and I frankly don't want that shambles anywhere near something as great as the Olympics until it gets its act together as cheer will be made a laughing stock. Fingers crossed this kills some of the aspects I don't like - such as the Pagentry and varsity in general - but if it doesn't then let's just see how this goes.
The optimistic part of me hopes that this will wise people up to the fact that the huck-'n'-chuck mentality has to go. There is a reason that the gymnastics world scoffs at that.
This. ICU would be what Olympic Cheerleading is.
Amen.

You have to remember we won't see allstar cheerleading at the Olympics. We will see ICU kind of routines. That means cheer at the beginning of routine, no jumps, no dance for coed teams and dead floor.
Which looks like this...

I'm sure all countries for the Olympics will put the best 25 people on floor that means crazy asian teams which look like this.

I wouldn't be so sure about USA dominating everything. I think it would be close. But Russia is dominating Rhytmic gymnastics for few Olympics now and they are still there as a sport.

But I am really wondering does that means competing level 5 or 6 routines? Partnerstunt yes or no? coed or allgirl? Probably both?

The optimistic part of me hopes that this will wise people up to the fact that the huck-'n'-chuck mentality has to go. There is a reason that the gymnastics world scoffs at that.
Can we, as artistic gymnastic fans, just appreciate that FIG just downgraded the Produnova vault in difficulty value in the CoP for the next quad? So less people will stop trying to kill themselves while attempting it?

But I am really wondering does that means competing level 5 or 6 routines? Partnerstunt yes or no? coed or allgirl? Probably both?
Partner stunt is a definite no, especially now that it's basically establish that FIG and ICU will be separate entities. Partner stunts are like a layman version of what we already have in acrobatics gymnastics and the Europeans dominate this discipline. This is why when ICU had the partner stunts divisions, many European teams, other than teams like Sweden and Slovenia, seemed really subpar. Most of their well train "stunters" most likely go into acrobatics gymnastics. Why? Because FIG sanctioned events have montary rewards. You actually get paid to "stunt" if you win.

FIG is still pushing to get acrobatic, aerobic and power tumbling gymnastics into the Olympics. So it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out and whether it affects Cheerleading or not... because if you think about it, all 6 major gymnastic disciplines are like a much difficult version of each section in a cheer routine - tumbling(artistic and power tumbling), stunting(acrobatic gymnastics), tosses(acrobatic and trampoline gymnastics) and dancing(rhythmic and aerobics gymnastics).

Last edited:
I like the ICU format.
There are many powerhouse teams in Asia which simply can't afford to go to the states for worlds so I am hoping we will see more of them if this was to happen
You are right - teams in Asia and parts of Europe would give US teams competition if they were able to get funding which would likely happen if cheer became an Olympic sport. I think your most competitive countries will be similar to the countries that are most competitive in gymnastics.

Back