All-Star Olympics Just Granted Cheer Provisional Staus

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Can we, as artistic gymnastic fans, just appreciate that FIG just downgraded the Produnova vault in difficulty value in the CoP for the next quad? So less people will stop trying to kill themselves while attempting it?

Partner stunt is a definite no, especially now that it's basically establish that FIG and ICU will be separate entities. Partner stunts are like a layman version of what we already have in acrobatics gymnastics and the Europeans dominate this discipline. This is why when ICU had the partner stunts divisions, many European teams, other than teams like Sweden and Slovenia, seemed really subpar. Most of their well train "stunters" most likely go into acrobatics gymnastics. Why? Because FIG sanctioned events have montary rewards. You actually get paid to "stunt" if you win.

FIG is still pushing to get acrobatic, aerobic and power tumbling gymnastics into the Olympics. So it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out and whether it affects Cheerleading or not... because if you think about it, all 6 major gymnastic disciplines are like a much difficult version of each section in a cheer routine - tumbling(artistic and power tumbling), stunting(acrobatic gymnastics), tosses(acrobatic and trampoline gymnastics) and dancing(rhythmic and aerobics gymnastics).
Surprised it isn't in the olympics... smh

I find it weird how most countries I've seen are really happy about this and feels it's a step in the right direction, except the US, who also feel (rightly so) that they're top contenders. Why wouldn't you wanna be seen in the Olympics? It would for sure give cheerleading a big boost and recognition in alot of countries.

Whenever I say I do cheer, most Swedish people answer with a "I didn't even know we had cheerleading in Sweden", had we been an Olympic sport and had a Swedish team, they would for sure be aware. It would also reach more youth kids who dream of being a cheerleader but doesn't realise it actually exists over here.

Also I feel like we're over thinking it all, which elements, which categories and so on. We have ICU worlds, it will probably just be a bit bigger but generally the same. Which again, most countries do enjoy ICU, we "all" practice and compete on dead floor already. So it's a more fair playing ground for us than iasf worlds on spring floor really.

And as mentioned alot of teams/countries can't afford going to the US on their own, the Olympics would 1. Be at different places every time and 2. Be funded greatly by your national Olympic committee. As I said I don't think it will affect worlds or nca in a negative way, but help the sport grow in the world.

I like how people are bring up funding. It is so true that many countries would be able to do so much more with squads with money to help. We are so lucky in America that we have top gyms and people that can shell out money and money and more money, so it gives us amazing teams. But once finances help to level the playing field some I think a lot of countries will be able to get good teams! I mean, think about Russia and Ukraine and places with great gymnastics! They could have tumbling for DAYS!!!

Some Elite level gymnast put in over 30 hours a week training. They home school to accommodate the time needed to train. I wonder if the time spent practicing and working out for Cheer will significantly increase.

Even with the cheer? It seems weird that that would be included in the Olympics since it's such a nod to sideline cheering which is not something we should be doing as our own "sport".

I don't have the answer to that :p Personally, I would like to see the cheer part dropped if it were to become an olympic "sport". I don't believe that there is Olympic-worthy skill and athleticism in that. Cheer has evolved and I think that part needs to evolve itself out of the potential olympic version of cheer.

I'm interested to see how this all plays out and affects our "sport".

Will it unite all the different styles of cheer, create a universal score sheet, age grid, etc for the entire world to follow? In theory this would bring cheer to other areas of the world and enourage training in other countries through awareness of the sport and funding. If the olympic scoresheets placed a greater emphasis on stunts and not tumbling (because there is already gymnastics in the Olympics where the emphasis is tumbling) then I could see a lot of interest in other countries simply because it would be more "accessible" for them. You don't need a specialized facility to learn or perfect stunts, unlike some other olympic sports. You cold get by with just some mats, spotters, and knowledgable coaches. This would be a great (might I say ideal?) starting point; it would allow many, many countries to potentially train and enter teams and allow the sport to grow in the Olympics.

Or will this push the cheer world farther apart? I cannot see all star, as it is right now, as an Olympic-worthy "sport". I think there are definitely aspects of it that are Olympic-worthy, but it needs a lot of work before it could be Olympic ready. And I'm not sure how Varsity/USASF will fair in this if all styles of cheer unite under the same rules, scoresheets, etc. I can see them fighting to keep their hold on all star cheer, as it is now, and forcing "Olympic Cheer" to develop into yet another version of cheer.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

I don't have the answer to that :p Personally, I would like to see the cheer part dropped if it were to become an olympic "sport". I don't believe that there is Olympic-worthy skill and athleticism in that. Cheer has evolved and I think that part needs to evolve itself out of the potential olympic version of cheer.

I'm interested to see how this all plays out and affects our "sport".

Will it unite all the different styles of cheer, create a universal score sheet, age grid, etc for the entire world to follow? In theory this would bring cheer to other areas of the world and enourage training in other countries through awareness of the sport and funding. If the olympic scoresheets placed a greater emphasis on stunts and not tumbling (because there is already gymnastics in the Olympics where the emphasis is tumbling) then I could see a lot of interest in other countries simply because it would be more "accessible" for them. You don't need a specialized facility to learn or perfect stunts, unlike some other olympic sports. You cold get by with just some mats, spotters, and knowledgable coaches. This would be a great (might I say ideal?) starting point; it would allow many, many countries to potentially train and enter teams and allow the sport to grow in the Olympics.

Or will this push the cheer world farther apart? I cannot see all star, as it is right now, as an Olympic-worthy "sport". I think there are definitely aspects of it that are Olympic-worthy, but it needs a lot of work before it could be Olympic ready. And I'm not sure how Varsity/USASF will fair in this if all styles of cheer unite under the same rules, scoresheets, etc. I can see them fighting to keep their hold on all star cheer, as it is now, and forcing "Olympic Cheer" to develop into yet another version of cheer.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

It could also end up that Olympic cheer could look something like STUNT and run away from the 2:30 routine (whether you do a sideline cheer mid way or not.) Man I really want to see what's gonna happen with this!

I respect cheer; I respect what sideline cheerleaders do, I respect what all-star cheer takes to the mat, and I respect what the ICU does---with that said, it's not Olympic to me. Perhaps I have a skewed version of what the Olympics is, but I fail to see how cheerleading fits into this category.

On a side note, if we thought SM's were bad before---good God. I did some calculations and at the earliest, my CP would be 20 when this hits the game so for most of us, it won't effect our kids but for those joining the sport behind us...oh brother.

I respect cheer; I respect what sideline cheerleaders do, I respect what all-star cheer takes to the mat, and I respect what the ICU does---with that said, it's not Olympic to me. Perhaps I have a skewed version of what the Olympics is, but I fail to see how cheerleading fits into this category.

On a side note, if we thought SM's were bad before---good God. I did some calculations and at the earliest, my CP would be 20 when this hits the game so for most of us, it won't effect our kids but for those joining the sport behind us...oh brother.

Rhythmic gymnastics is an olympic sport as is synchronized swimming.

I realize.
After they work out the details, I see this as a very positive thing for athletes. I will be interested to see how they manage things. I'm also hopeful that this will one day open the door to Special Olympics and Para-Olympics having cheer as a part of their games as well.

After they work out the details, I see this as a very positive thing for athletes. I will be interested to see how they manage things. I'm also hopeful that this will one day open the door to Special Olympics and Para-Olympics having cheer as a part of their games as well.

I'd like to see it used as a stepping stone for the Special Olympics and Para-Olympics, but I'm not yet sold on it being a good thing for the athletes. I'll reserve judgement until the details follow over the next few years, but right now, I just don't like it.

Back