All-Star Outsider's View Of Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not to be an alarmist , but, please please be really careful of where you "stick" your phones. I've read patient accounts of women who got breast cancer in the exact spot where they " kept their phone" in their bra all these years. It has scared me so much that I will take my kids phones away for the rest of the day if I see them sticking the phone near their female reproductive parts. (IE stuck in their sports bra or skirt/spankies) Just be careful!!!

Last edited:
My 2 CP's use to be on different teams and perform at different times. There is no way I was going to worry about having both of them ready to go as soon as we got there. I think you need to do what works for you and your CP's.
I go by what the gym says. If they want cp and team comp-ready when they leave the hotel on the bus, then so be it. If competing later and they can get ready there, then that is what we will do. It always seems to work out!

I go by what the gym says. If they want cp and team comp-ready when they leave the hotel on the bus, then so be it. If competing later and they can get ready there, then that is what we will do. It always seems to work out!

Our gym just gives us a specific time they have to be ready by. :)

i always walk around my house and even school with my phone in my pants' waistband, not the pocket. It's become such a habit to me. I think its because i need to know where it is at all times and i can feel it on my skin so i know its there and such. Also sometimes when my phone is in my purse i can't hear it going off and my mom is the kind of mom where if you dont answer the first phone call, you're doomed.
I've always just held it in my hand but I NEED to be able to see the flashing for alerts. Vibration is the only other way I'd know if somebody was trying to get ahold of me. I don't see a problem with it being in the waistband as long as it's put away before warm ups.

I've always just held it in my hand but I NEED to be able to see the flashing for alerts. Vibration is the only other way I'd know if somebody was trying to get ahold of me. I don't see a problem with it being in the waistband as long as it's put away before warm ups.
and i dont walk around with it half showing, i usually put a shirt on and pull it over the phone so for the most part, no one could even tell it was there! I do get annoyed with the phone sticking out of the bra though. But then again i've never been able to have that privilege:p

personally, I agree with the original post. At a local competition I was at recently, a certain unnamed gym was sauntering around with very revealing uniforms and no cover ups. they did get reprimanded by the competition director. I disagree with the whole "get dressed when you get there" thing. Have you ever tried to get ready at a competition bathroom? they're PACKED usually. I think athletes should arrive in uniform, with hair and makeup done, and with either a shirt or warm ups on top. and then when you're done competing, put the warm up or shirt back on.

CP's gym required it of us, not sure what this gym will say but I imagine it'll be similar. Thankfully I only have one CP to deal with, but getting ready on sight just means more stuff for me to carry around at the venue. Once she's done and ready, I only keep a few touch-up things with me.

Wow, see I just put my phone in my bag... None of this sticking it in my waistband, bra or even pocket. If I was ever caught at school, college classes or cheer with my phone anywhere but safely packed away, I'd be dead meat... Having your phone handy is obviously very important, especially at big comps where people can get lost, but in my view young girls don't need to be having their phones sticking out of their skirts where they can fall out.

same and it's actually really nice. especially if you're competing late and have to be ready at 3 or later, i'd much rather do my hair around 2 than by 8am when all teams have to meet at the convention center.

is it just me, or do people's heads hurt after wearing their cheer hair for too long?

Exactly!

In the context of what we pay for all star, the cost of those warm ups are a drop in the bucket and worth every penny, IMO. I don't want my kids, or anyone else's for that matter, posted on some whack website for the losers of the world and their twisted idea of entertainment. It's not just the people that do physical harm that we have to worry about anymore, it is anyone with camera access and the ability to post those pictures anywhere.

I think a similar comparison can be drawn from gymnastics. Watching an international, elite gymnastics meet on TV I always notice that as soon as the gymnast finishes one apparatus they put on a jacket and trousers. They then wait around for a bit before moving to the next apparatus and taking off the warm ups before competing.

If they can put on and take off warm ups four times in as many hours I don't see the problem with having cheerleaders do the same. Arrive in warm ups, take them off, compete, put on warm ups, wait for awards and take off the jackets again if you so wish. But for anyone who says they won't do it because it will mess up hair/makeup or because they prefer to be in uniform for awards...a zip up jacket takes less than a minute to put on so that doesn't add up to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. If gymnast can do it, so can cheerleaders. But there will forever be a cheerleader to complain about big hair issues. PUT THE SHIRT ON BEFORE YOU DO YOUR HAIR. LIke I said before, if you're old enough to dress your self with out much of a struggle, (13+) you should be able to put on a shirt without messing up your hair. Even if you can't, I have yet to meet an All star cheerleader that didn't bring their hair supplies with them to competition.

Agreed. If gymnast can do it, so can cheerleaders. But there will forever be a cheerleader to complain about big hair issues. PUT THE SHIRT ON BEFORE YOU DO YOUR HAIR. LIke I said before, if you're old enough to dress your self with out much of a struggle, (13+) you should be able to put on a shirt without messing up your hair. Even if you can't, I have yet to meet an All star cheerleader that didn't bring their hair supplies with them to competition.
I hate wearing shirts over my uniform, i much prefer tank tops because of the larger neck size thing. But this year im happy because for the first time i bought warm ups so its just a zip up i can put on without dealing with shirts. I dont understand people who walk around with no shirt on at competitions. I mean you kinda have to when youre going to warm ups and when youre going to go get your stuff, but typically those venues are FREEZING.

Last edited:
I hate wearing shirts over my uniform, i much prefer tank tops because of the larger neck size thing. But this year im happy because for the first time i bought warm ups so its just a zip up i can put on without dealing with shirts. I dont understand people who walk around with no shirt on at competitions. I mean you kinda half to when youre going to warm ups and when youre going to go get your stuff, but typically those venues are FREEZING.
Exactly. I'm starting to think its more of a fashion show of who wears the less fabric rather than a cheer comp. I don't mean for that to come off as offensive or insulting but I don't know another way to put it. It really does seem like that.

I hate wearing shirts over my uniform, i much prefer tank tops because of the larger neck size thing. But this year im happy because for the first time i bought warm ups so its just a zip up i can put on without dealing with shirts. I dont understand people who walk around with no shirt on at competitions. I mean you kinda half to when youre going to warm ups and when youre going to go get your stuff, but typically those venues are FREEZING.

You bring up an interesting point about venues being cold, because that is a reason why gymnasts immediately put a jacket/pants on. Since they aren't afforded time to do full out stretching before each apparatus, their warm-ups keep their bodies warm. Cheerleaders don't typically have to deal with that same issue.

That being said, as a mom of a younger CP---the less I have to carry around the better, because CP is too young to be expected to carry most of it. And I have no issues with the cost of warm-ups, EXCEPT now we live in a state where they're kinda useless...in Missouri, competing in winter months with snow on the ground; they were lifesavers, in FL where it's summer practically all year round? Eh...not seeing them as being quite so functional.

*I'm viewing this topic as "a creepy person is in the venue" kind of subject, fyi*
Exactly. I'm starting to think its more of a fashion show of who wears the less fabric rather than a cheer comp. I don't mean for that to come off as offensive or insulting but I don't know another way to put it. It really does seem like that.
I disagree with this a bit, i don't think gyms are purposefully trying to set a bad image. I think (for the most part) uniforms are very professional. I think instead of trying to change how we act and dress to prevent those few creeps from targeting us, why not create protection from those creeps? I just don't want girls to get the idea that the way they dress is "asking for" the negative attention, because they're really not. Its those few people who view it badly. Yes there are some uniforms that are more revealing than needed for the sport, such as random cutouts, but cheer uniform companies seem to be trying to find the right balance between athletic and fashion. Its a hard mix, really, to create a uniform that sets a good example of what the sport is about, and to be different and show a fashion statement.
I mean, fully clothed from head to toe or wearing a uniform, if some creepy person chooses to target you, you're going to be targeted, regardless of what you're wearing, and i know that someone is going to reply to this with "but a crop top is more targeted"... probably. But if every single girl in that venue wore their warmups all the time and just changed for the performance, wouldn't those creeps just go watch the performance? Wouldn't they still target someone walking around in a uniform? What you wear SHOULD NOT determine if someone CHOOSES to view you negatively. It's a society issue, really. I think people choose to believe that the way people dress shows what kind of person they are, when in reality it doesn't.

When i say "target" i mean in the way someone takes pictures of, follows, or any other inappropriate actions that really shouldn't be happening at a competition.

Back