All-Star Outsider's View Of Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

But, I saw girls at Battle at the Beach walking around in uni tops and skimpy shorts on the streets. Our coach would kill. He doesn't even allow the skirts to be worn over uniform warm up pants because he thinks it looks trashy.

Jean Shorts + Uniform Top ...... 4 words, 1 question:

WHAT. ARE . YOU. THINKING?!

Never would I EVER. Not even if I spilled nacho cheese all over my white skirt (which has happened to me before) and the only other option I had were jeans shorts or regular shorts to wear with my top. I would rather OWN and WORK that nasty nacho cheese & (frantically look for some tide to go) than look trashy in shorts and my top. Ick.

I will not get started on UGGS..it will once again be a 10-page rant. Needless to say #justsayno

Wearing uggs and my warm ups to and from games, after cheering for five hours, getting back on the bus, and having to drive back across town, is really the best thing in the world! I could care less what people think, it's a shoe. And it's much different than walking around half naked.

Wearing uggs and my warm ups to and from games, after cheering for five hours, getting back on the bus, and having to drive back across town, is really the best thing in the world! I could care less what people think, it's a shoe. And it's much different than walking around half naked.
You're right. Some people are quite attractive half-naked. Nobody is attractive in UGGs. :p

You're right. Some people are quite attractive half-naked. Nobody is attractive in UGGs. :p

So you would rather see, as a coach, your athlete walking around with their uniform top unzipped and in booty shorts than in a pair of boots...?
I doubt people are talking about the cheerleaders they saw wearing uggs to the last competition they were at.

So you would rather see, as a coach, your athlete walking around with their uniform top unzipped and in booty shorts than in a pair of boots...?
I doubt people are talking about the cheerleaders they saw wearing uggs to the last competition they were at.

I think the point is that it isn't "athletic" looking. We're trying to portray cheerleading as a legit sport, not a fashion show. It's important to look the part.

I think the point is that it isn't "athletic" looking. We're trying to portray cheerleading as a legit sport, not a fashion show. It's important to look the part.

I'm not saying it's cute to wear uggs with your actual uniform, I said I wear them with my warm ups to and from some games - colder games when uggs would be appropriate. It's the same thing that football and basketball players do.

I'm not saying it's cute to wear uggs with your actual uniform, I said I wear them with my warm ups to and from some games - colder games when uggs would be appropriate. It's the same thing that football and basketball players do.

My original comment was girls are to stay in full uniform when they are at a venue. Once they are in their car they can do what they want... but they are not to be unzipping anything wearing anything that was not pre-approved, taking off sneakers and putting on uggs, flip flops, bedroom slippers, etc. Hair is to stay up w/ bow in, they need to look like the athletes they are not like I perfomed now I am going to dress down.. unacceptable....

I agree it's not "cute" and in a situation of not just "cold" but flat out inclement weather, I would make a concession, however, in a venue or anywhere you are as a group, all of these things people see and outsiders can form opinions and I would like to be taken seriously as a sport.

My original comment was girls are to stay in full uniform when they are at a venue. Once they are in their car they can do what they want... but they are not to be unzipping anything wearing anything that was not pre-approved, taking off sneakers and putting on uggs, flip flops, bedroom slippers, etc. Hair is to stay up w/ bow in, they need to look like the athletes they are not like I perfomed now I am going to dress down.. unacceptable....

I agree it's not "cute" and in a situation of not just "cold" but flat out inclement weather, I would make a concession, however, in a venue or anywhere you are as a group, all of these things people see and outsiders can form opinions and I would like to be taken seriously as a sport.

To add to that, I even saw kids walking around in uniform with FLIP FLOPS on.... IMO that just makes us look like a bunch of valley girls to outsiders. I don't see what's so hard about wearing sneakers. 99% of the time, you're inside at a competiton, why on earth would you need to wear uggs?

If you are wearing Uggs AND your warm up pants, IMO that is not an issue. As others have said, they are warmer than cheer sneakers. If you're warm then you cover up! If you have the warm up pants on and the heavy boots that's not a problem.:)

I think the UGG wearing offenders most are talking of are the girls that hike up the skirt as high as possible, unbutton it and rock the boots like they're ready to hop onto a strippers pole. There's an attitude and a swagger that go along with that particular Ugg look. the girls that are doing it KNOW what they are doing. Oh and don't forget to slip the phone in your skirt too! :p

It's so true how desensitized we can get being used to the outfits our girls wear. Many a fights have broken out with my CP when she wanted to run into the local Wawa for a snack after practice only to find out she never bothered to pack even a T shirt to wear over her sports bra and spanky shorts for practice! I'm like what the bleeep were you thinking!!????

I like the one example another poster mentioned... imagine sitting in your local restaurant and a group of high school wrestlers came in wearing only their singlets. I know I'd be grossed out! It's the same perception others have of our girls when she show up somewhere half naked. We're just used to it is all. :)

I completely agree with that. I knew that you were talking about uggs with a uniform, but I was defending my own preferences and showing that even if someone does change, it's not tacky. It was a little strange to me that someone could be so upset over a shoe - it's not scandalous, gross, or revealing. I do agree with not liking uggs and just a uniform, that's unacceptable.

And this isn't directed at anyone specifically, but people say they want this sport to be taken seriously, yet they're mad that only senior teams can wear crop tops? And that they have to wear a t-shirt around the competition? I'm not looking to get into a whole discussion about the new rules for all stars, but to me that sounds a bit hypocritical :rolleyes:

I agree with some other comments in this thread that have stated that most in the AS Cheer Community have become desensitized about the uniforms and how they look to others since we see it all the time. While I'm not a fan of girls unzipping tops and pulling their arm out of the sleeves to walk around I am also not a fan of the Uggs with a uniform or warm-up look either. Many organizations have a dress code for their athletes and that means NO Uggs or Flip flops while in uniform, no pajama pants with uniform tops either which I like, it's either your uniform or warm up with cheer sneakers while you are at a comp. While you have the uniform or warm up on you are representing the gym and the organization and should look presentable.
Now, about walking around town in the uniform, I'm not a fan however I will say that what I saw some girls wearing around the Harbor was certainly way more revealing than the uniform they would wear to a comp. Some of the girls I saw had skirts on that we way too tight, way too short and very low cut up top, not a look I would want my daughter to sport. You can't control what the kids do and what they wear once they leave the arena so it is a hard topic to tackle but I feel like once you leave the arena you should cover up. I'm not saying you have to wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt but you should dress comfortably with something over your uniform or change out of it all together. That's my .02

it is interesting for me to see perectives from other parts of the country on this. Our deep south gym is less than happy about the new requirements. Our giirls half top unis are long sleeved, high necked with no cutouts. they are more covered than most girls walking down the street in the middle of summer. Shorts and taks are the norm here from May to September. Our girls will be roasting if they have to put on warmups directly after competing in most cases.We have had bad experiences with full top unis. we have never had one that fits properly and doesn't ride up to become a crop on girls that are even a little heavy. I can totally see why unis need to be regulated. I have seen some I would never put on my child, but I dont think a blanket prohibition of half tops or a requirement for girls to immediately change is the answer. I think a points deduction for inappropriate apparel would be much more effective.

as for spankies and sports bras, our gym doesn't allow that for practice, much less in public. Our girls must wear a tee or tank with a sports bra under and shorts over spankies in the gym.

Having come from a gymnastics background, I don't see the issue with wearing warmups or something. I didn't like my athletes walking around in just their leo's, usually they would put their gym track pants and track top/gym t-shirt. Granted cheer unis cost a LOT more than a leo, but in this day and age I feel it is better to be safe than sorry. However, over here in the UK it rarely get baking hot, so tracksuits are a good cover up as well as being warm ;)

Back