All-Star Outsider's View Of Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off topic but I wanna know more about Anchorage! Don't know why but for some reason I'm fascinated with Alaska and all the Alaska reality shows on TV. haha

The Northern Lights are beautiful, but the best view of them is obviously when it's clear...and when it's clear it means it's colder. Snow actually = "warmer" weather. Cars are equipped with something called a block engine heater. You literally plug your vehicle into an outlet, which are located outside every major business. Otherwise, your car wouldn't start.
This is what parking lots at grocery stores, Target, WalMart, etc. look like:
Alaska48-021.jpg

Living next door to a dog musher (dog sledding) is a nightmare = 15 Huskies, Akitas, etc. at any given time. Most of the apartments don't have central AC (heat of course, but no AC). -20degrees and -40 feel the same. Earthquakes happen regularly..I actually thought they were pretty cool. Obviously I never encountered a life-threatening one; but the building would start to sway back and forth, which I thought was cool (until one day it shook the entire foundation of the apt. instead of swayed-I think the difference felt between the two has to do with the movement of the tectonic plates-if they "slide" it produces the swaying effect, if they smash into one another-the violent shaking of the foundation-I could be wrong about that though, it might have to do with where the earthquake originally hit, what magnitude, etc.). I never saw lightning or heard thunder in my 3 1/2 years there, and to my understanding lightning in Anchorage is extremely rare...so that was very, very weird to me.

Anchorage (unlike Fairbanks) does have some light in the winter and darkness (sort of) in the summer. However, it's extremely short. If you had a 9-5 job for instance w/o windows, it's possible you'd rarely see sunlight in the winter. Sunlight comes late in the morning and sets early in the afternoon. In the summer though, we got less dark than the winter got light, and it almost never got completely dark, it looked more like late dusk. I remember waking up at 5am thinking I was extremely late to work (I thought it was 9-10am based on how light it was), when I had 2 more hours of sleep. I also went manic in the summer due to the lack of darkness. I literally didn't sleep for weeks and had to be put on sleeping pills during the summer (come winter I was fine).

The ratio of men to women is approximately 9:1 (nine men to every one female). Alaska has the highest per capita rate of alcoholism and illegal drug use out of all 50 states, the highest suicide rate out of all 50 states, and the highest rate of forcible rapes (and rapes in general) in the US..in addition to one of the highest in homicides as well.

Moose are a pain and can hold up traffic for hours. There's this cool place called gravity hill, where if you leave your car in neutral, it will pull you uphill (at least it appears that way). There's a scientific explanation for it...but here's a video of gravity hill as I've experienced it.

Here's a scientific explanation of what it really is
The Mysterious Gravity Hill -- Physicists Show "Antigravity" Mystery Spots Are Optical Illusions

I'll think of more later...but that's what I have off the top of my head at the moment... :)

The Northern Lights are beautiful, but the best view of them is obviously when it's clear...and when it's clear it means it's colder. Snow actually = "warmer" weather. Cars are equipped with something called a block engine heater. You literally plug your vehicle into an outlet, which are located outside every major business. Otherwise, your car wouldn't start.
This is what parking lots at grocery stores, Target, WalMart, etc. look like:
Alaska48-021.jpg

Living next door to a dog musher (dog sledding) is a nightmare = 15 Huskies, Akitas, etc. at any given time. Most of the apartments don't have central AC (heat of course, but no AC). -20degrees and -40 feel the same. Earthquakes happen regularly..I actually thought they were pretty cool. Obviously I never encountered a life-threatening one; but the building would start to sway back and forth, which I thought was cool (until one day it shook the entire foundation of the apt. instead of swayed-I think the difference felt between the two has to do with the movement of the tectonic plates-if they "slide" it produces the swaying effect, if they smash into one another-the violent shaking of the foundation-I could be wrong about that though, it might have to do with where the earthquake originally hit, what magnitude, etc.). I never saw lightning or heard thunder in my 3 1/2 years there, and to my understanding lightning in Anchorage is extremely rare...so that was very, very weird to me.

Anchorage (unlike Fairbanks) does have some light in the winter and darkness (sort of) in the summer. However, it's extremely short. If you had a 9-5 job for instance w/o windows, it's possible you'd rarely see sunlight in the winter. Sunlight comes late in the morning and sets early in the afternoon. In the summer though, we got less dark than the winter got light, and it almost never got completely dark, it looked more like late dusk. I remember waking up at 5am thinking I was extremely late to work (I thought it was 9-10am based on how light it was), when I had 2 more hours of sleep. I also went manic in the summer due to the lack of darkness. I literally didn't sleep for weeks and had to be put on sleeping pills during the summer (come winter I was fine).

The ratio of men to women is approximately 9:1 (nine men to every one female). Alaska has the highest per capita rate of alcoholism and illegal drug use out of all 50 states, the highest suicide rate out of all 50 states, and the highest rate of forcible rapes (and rapes in general) in the US..in addition to one of the highest in homicides as well.

Moose are a pain and can hold up traffic for hours. There's this cool place called gravity hill, where if you leave your car in neutral, it will pull you uphill (at least it appears that way). There's a scientific explanation for it...but here's a video of gravity hill as I've experienced it.

Here's a scientific explanation of what it really is
The Mysterious Gravity Hill -- Physicists Show "Antigravity" Mystery Spots Are Optical Illusions

I'll think of more later...but that's what I have off the top of my head at the moment... :)

Thanks for the insider info! Now I'm even more obsessed. I have to spend at least a few weeks there at some point!

it is interesting for me to see perectives from other parts of the country on this. Our deep south gym is less than happy about the new requirements. Our giirls half top unis are long sleeved, high necked with no cutouts. they are more covered than most girls walking down the street in the middle of summer. Shorts and taks are the norm here from May to September. Our girls will be roasting if they have to put on warmups directly after competing in most cases.We have had bad experiences with full top unis. we have never had one that fits properly and doesn't ride up to become a crop on girls that are even a little heavy. I can totally see why unis need to be regulated. I have seen some I would never put on my child, but I dont think a blanket prohibition of half tops or a requirement for girls to immediately change is the answer. I think a points deduction for inappropriate apparel would be much more effective.

as for spankies and sports bras, our gym doesn't allow that for practice, much less in public. Our girls must wear a tee or tank with a sports bra under and shorts over spankies in the gym.

I think the key for the full top is exactly what you said, they need to be made and fitted properly. My CP has always had crop tops and luckily had a figure to go along with it. This year she joined an open 6 team with full tops. She was custom fit for it but we still took it to a tailor for some touching up here and there. It fit her body had a bit of room but the cut was right so it stays put. I never thought she would like it but she actually does now that she's used to it. My kid would walk around half naked if I let her! lol...

I agree with the original post in this thread about the garment bag - is that odd? Maybe.
I am an actor, so I know the value of keeping your costumes in pristine condition, clean, and the etiquette you must have while in them. No eating, drinking, chewing gum, taking off parts of it...etc.
I know this is a little different between a cheer uniform and a theatre costume - when you're in costume you're in character. Obviously as soon as a show is over the actors change back into street clothes - voila! They are not allowed to leave any part of backstage or reserved area/go to the public (like a lobby, outside of the building, etc) without changing into street clothes. You don't want costumes damaged, and it's just...well... not proper to see an actor strolling around in full costume. :confused: (This, in the cheer world, would equal walking around around town in uniform or with your skirt over your pants/uni and Uggs at the competition...)
I do agree with either full warm up or full uniform. But at the same time I don't, however, agree with the coverup rule - why spend $300+ on a uniform and cover it up? Contradicting myself, that's why I'd rather everyone stay in full cheer uniform... on one hand it's better to keep your uniform at its possible best by only wearing it when necessary, but you also spend so much money for something that's seen only so little!

Thanks for the insider info! Now I'm even more obsessed. I have to spend at least a few weeks there at some point!

You're not the only one with an obsession!! I'm right there with you. Every summer my aunt and uncle take all of my cousins and I on amazing trips, usually to Europe.. Every year in the planning process I beg to go to alaska. I just love nature and wilderness and it seems like such a phenomenal place to go. As much as I hate Sarah Palin, I even watched her show religiously just for Alaska :p I don't think I could live there though, so props to xtremeteal4life . that no darkness/sleep thing would not work well for me. I have black out curtains and the faintest amount of light wakes me up.. such as my alarm clock led light. but visiting is 100% on my bucket list!

In response to the boxing robe idea...8 years ago my team had a "boxing" theme, and we all wore actual boxing robes as "props" before we performed...hahh. I couldn't resist posting a picture!
258m92e.jpg
I know this is an old thread but LMAO! Someone should bring these back! I would love to see them.

we're required to buy warm ups. when we arrive at competition, we have to wear our pants and jacket around the competition, until we start getting ready. then, i usually put my uniform on and keep the jacket on until warm ups. that's what the rest of the program usually does, too. after we compete, we take pictures and stuff, but put our jackets on right as soon as possible. we don't always wear the pants on after we compete, but definitely the jacket. our gym likes us to stay covered unless we're going to warm ups/in warm ups/competing/just competed.

when i'm in a convention center i usually dont even notice the fact that people are just wearing their uniforms. i only think it's strange if you go out to dinner and don't wear at least a shirt or something to cover your stomach. but i don't have a preference as to whether people wear their skirt or put on pants.

ETA: we keep our uniforms on, because we wear them to awards. but other than being in warm ups/onstage/awards, we're supposed to wear program jackets.

So you would rather see, as a coach, your athlete walking around with their uniform top unzipped and in booty shorts than in a pair of boots...?
I doubt people are talking about the cheerleaders they saw wearing uggs to the last competition they were at.

At Cali the athletes are NOT allowed to wear Uggs. And they have to stay in their sweats or a program t-shirt if they are not performing or warming up.

Kids wear less at the beach because its beach attire lol.

I agree with this poster completely. When you're done performing, Hair and Makeup should be less of your concern. When you do your hair and makeup, but on your T-shirts FIRST. Lol

double post sorry: But most kids bring hair and makeup stuff with them. Whether or not its a two day comp. If you don't know know to put on your shirt without completely messing up your hair, especially as an older teen.....( I can understand with kids) that's also why adults should be present. But as a teens or adults, you should know how to accomplish this stuff.

personally, I agree with the original post. At a local competition I was at recently, a certain unnamed gym was sauntering around with very revealing uniforms and no cover ups. they did get reprimanded by the competition director. I disagree with the whole "get dressed when you get there" thing. Have you ever tried to get ready at a competition bathroom? they're PACKED usually. I think athletes should arrive in uniform, with hair and makeup done, and with either a shirt or warm ups on top. and then when you're done competing, put the warm up or shirt back on.

Ugh, I hate the phone in the skirt. Or bra. Or anywhere else other than a pocket, purse, or backpack. :confused:
i always walk around my house and even school with my phone in my pants' waistband, not the pocket. It's become such a habit to me. I think its because i need to know where it is at all times and i can feel it on my skin so i know its there and such. Also sometimes when my phone is in my purse i can't hear it going off and my mom is the kind of mom where if you dont answer the first phone call, you're doomed.

Back