All-Star Parent Viewing Areas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our gym has completely closed practices. Even if you're in the gym, all stars practice is behind closed doors (well, a curtain). There was a time when parents could hang out in the gym, but the gossiping got out of hand and so the owner said drop off and pick up only.

It sucks, but I could only imagine how crazy it would get if the parents were watching! There are too many susies' moms.

There was a parent viewing area at our old gym, and I'd stay and watch, read, etc, but sometimes it would make me crazy...mainly because I'd see so much time wasted, treating different people differently, etc.

So as much as I hate it, it's a blessing in disguise, and I can totally see why they close practices

I tumbled at a smaller gym in southern California that has since merged with another gym, and at their previous location there was just one spring floor, one tumble track, and one trampoline. They had chairs set up by the entrance and parents (as well as younger siblings) were free to watch classes, clinics, and practices. I was old enough to drive myself so my mom never watched, but I can see how it would be distracting to have not even a window to separate the floor & the parents who are sitting and watching practice.

If you dictate that something needs to be mandatory you have to be ready to have the solution in place to make it happen. Both AACCA and the USASF have changed a lot but they are both still small with small budgets and resources. As @ACEDAD said we have to understand these changes can't always come as quick as we would like.
Requiring MANDATORY background checks is the sole financial responsibility of the coach, administrator, etc. When a coach pays for their certification, they also include the payment for the back ground check....there is NO expense to AACCA, USASF, the gym, the rec center. The background check is then by a qualified, certified outside organization.....this would make it finacially feasible.

The gym I work at has two parent viewing areas. One is on the first floor and is level with the gym. The second one is on the second floor and looks over the entire gym so that you can see all 3 floors.

As an athlete, I always hated parent viewing areas. I can only imagine what it will be like once I start coaching. :confused:

Two way glass...awesome idea! Parents get to watch without distracting the kids. I like to watch my cp because it is so much fun to see her get a new skill. I also like to make sure she is showing the proper respect to her coaches and to the other kids. I have been in the parent viewing area with some really obnoxious parents though, so I understand where the coaches are coming from there. It's a shame that it is harder to get the parents to follow the rules than it is getting the kids to do the same. Rules on parent behavior during practices and comps should be outlined at parent meetings at the beginning of the season and then signed by the parents. Then there is accountability if the rules are broken. I think disruptive parents should be handled individually and that parents who are supportive and follow the rules should not be penalized for the behavior of Susie's Mom and Dad. We're not all psycho...promise!

I know I brought this up on another thread but our viewing area is my favorite!

We have no closed doors, walls, or mirrors! We sit in chairs right beside the practice we can see our kids and hear them the whole times (this is when sitting in at the main spring floor)

If they are at the back one you are more then welcome to sit back their and watch and your sitting right behind the coaches so you can look at the kids faces front on the whole time!

It doesn't matter if it's one day before the competition or any time! All are open to everyone! I do imagine if she had a problem with a parent distraction she would move that team to the back floor and ask the parents not to come!

I mean plenty of parents watch at first but as the year goes on they become less interested! The option to watch is awesome and I enjoy everyday of it and I'm thankful we have the opportunity! I hope no one messes that up!

Also the openness to practice allows you to take video easily since your right there!

My old gym had our "parent area" in the cafeteria. There were a bunch of tables, locker room in the back, vending machines, and a desk where the "team mom" for each team sat to take attendance when their teams came in for practice. There was a two-way mirror in there- so the parents could watch, but the kids couldn't see them. We had 3 floors and a tumble area.... only one floor was visible from the parent's area, so we had cameras on the other floors which streamed a live feed to tv screens in there.

You have to be careful with those parent areas... they're a hotbed for gossip, rumors, and parents who want to trash talk coaches and other people's kids.
Solution to the gossip....(actually did this and it was fantastic!): Place a microphone in the viewing area that is closed off. Make it public and well known that the mic is there and it goes to the front office or the owner's office or where ever. The gossip immediately stops.

Solution to the gossip....(actually did this and it was fantastic!): Place a microphone in the viewing area that is closed off. Make it public and well known that the mic is there and it goes to the front office or the owner's office or where ever. The gossip immediately stops.

oh man, not enough shimmies for that!! LOVE IT

I will start by saying I can see both sides...However, I made my choice of gym in our area partially because at one I couldn't watch. In a sport where accidents happen and there are people that I don't know on a familiar basis on the floor with my 10 year old, I feel like it would be irresponsible as a parent to drop my child off and leave. On the other hand, I know that there are parents who can't seem to leave the coaching to the coaches. How about some one way glass. That would solve the problems on both sides of it....

gym owners could make a mint by putting a few workout machines in a room with a view so that I could watch my daughter and work out at the same time. I'd gladly pay a membership or by use fee. With the amount of time I spend at the gym I should be BUFF!

gym owners could make a mint by putting a few workout machines in a room with a view so that I could watch my daughter and work out at the same time. I'd gladly pay a membership or by use fee. With the amount of time I spend at the gym I should be BUFF!

a gym in our area has this. actually, it's more of a gymnastics/dance place than cheer, although they do have a cheer team. my kids did tae kwon do for a while and they added a gym for parents, but no one really ended up using it.

We have a parent viewing room and if you're on the first floor closest to the room, you do feel like you're in a fish bowl. It's the parent aquarium lol.

At my old gym we had lots of benches and such in the lobby/viewing area with big windows so parents could watch...and every time it got distracting, we had blinds that we could simply pull down whenever needed :)

Two way glass...awesome idea! Parents get to watch without distracting the kids. I like to watch my cp because it is so much fun to see her get a new skill. I also like to make sure she is showing the proper respect to her coaches and to the other kids. I have been in the parent viewing area with some really obnoxious parents though, so I understand where the coaches are coming from there. It's a shame that it is harder to get the parents to follow the rules than it is getting the kids to do the same. Rules on parent behavior during practices and comps should be outlined at parent meetings at the beginning of the season and then signed by the parents. Then there is accountability if the rules are broken. I think disruptive parents should be handled individually and that parents who are supportive and follow the rules should not be penalized for the behavior of Susie's Mom and Dad. We're not all psycho...promise!

The only thing i can say against this is, I have kind of a thing about looking in mirrors (i have ever since i was a baby, i'm not like conceited or anything hahaha), and I know a few people that have similar issues...I feel like having a big mirror there in front of me would distract me WAY more than a parent would.

Back