All-Star Practice What You Preach

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I'm sure every gym has its' own mission statement and takes pride in how they develop their athletes. however i will never understand when coaches will directly go against their mission statement of promoting good sportsmanship, positivity, work ethic, etc. by publicly slandering an individual or program. with so many facets of cheer trying to promote good sportsmanship it really upsets me when coaches act both so immaturely and hypocritically. kids will be kids but when adults start the mud slinging what do you think should be done? can we all just practice what we preach?

Yeah, its a shame when OWNERS don't practice what they preach also. Wait, what? Thats right, they do, but they only preach it publicly. Behind closed doors they slander, backstab, and actually are the biggest hypocrits of them all. We've all witnessed it for years and its quite disgusting. Good luck next season to everyone involved, some will certainly need it from what I heard about tryouts. Karma is going to bite HARD this season.

I am proud to be part of a gym that would never take part in anything petty like this! Maybe being the "big name gym" here is the reason why the owners and coaches don't gossip - or maybe the reason they became the big name is BECAUSE they always show good sportsmanship and don't gossip or trash anyone else. Even at competitions where we know our competitors 'up the way' are cheating and have ineligible participants - our owners handle it with class and grace and teach our kids to do the same. Every gym here loves to trash us and talk about how we are not the "real" TG but karma has bit them this month and we have picked up more kids than ever!

This is a topic I was waiting on, I hate that because a child leaves a gym, which obviously isn't producing or allowing the child the grow and develop as an athlete, the nasty ignorant adults go and slander the child's name and the other gym. Instead of encouraging their former athlete on their next endeavor. Instead of doing so, why can't you continue to do what you are there for and build up your program and make your teams superb athletes. As for owners they should really be the last people to slander anything, because they wouldn't want it done to their program. I understand there are gyms who have rivals ( like here in MD) but that's why there is a thing called friendly competition. That's decided by the judges and what is put on the mat. But I agree with @blunchin & @ Sabre Practice what you preach. & Karma is going to be fierce this season!

This is a topic I was waiting on, I hate that because a child leaves a gym, which obviously isn't producing or allowing the child the grow and develop as an athlete, the nasty ignorant adults go and slander the child's name and the other gym. Instead of encouraging their former athlete on their next endeavor. Instead of doing so, why can't you continue to do what you are there for and build up your program and make your teams superb athletes. As for owners they should really be the last people to slander anything, because they wouldn't want it done to their program. I understand there are gyms who have rivals ( like here in MD) but that's why there is a thing called friendly competition. That's decided by the judges and what is put on the mat. But I agree with @blunchin & @ Sabre Practice what you preach. & Karma is going to be fierce this season!

Oh My!! Are you sure you are from MD? I could swear you are from a gym that we left last season!! The only difference is that KARMA hit them the season that we left, so all the mud slinging that they did hit them hard immediately, hurting their program immensely, reminding me that people in 'glass houses shouldn't throw stones', but in their case, they launched boulders and it hit THEM in the bullseye!! Had they centered and focused their attention on reaching their goals instead of slandering the athletes and their families that left, they may have had a better season, but they were dead set on encouraging their athletes and parents to jump on the 'we hate....' and '.... sucks' bandwagon instead of rebuilding their program and they were not even our competition!! They need to get over that we left to move onto bigger and better opportunities and it was nothing personal, it was strictly a business decision-we couldn't get what we wanted and needed from them, so we shopped around and found something somewhere else to meet our needs.

This issue has nothing to do with a child leaving a gym. It has everything to do with the LACK of children going to a gym to tryout, so they went about things w/a new approach of unethical methods. One statement I agree with is PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. Not just in public.
"A persons true character is revealed by what he does when no one is looking"

I think that if a family is not hapy at their gym then they need to be somewhere else. In our gym if you don't want to be there, we dont want you there. The last thing I want to hear or have my child exposed to is an unhappy parent saying nasty things about the program we love. There is a lot of trash talking done about us by other gym owners, coaches, parents and athletes and I personally think it is because we beat them at competitions and they can not handle it. They feel threatened on the competition floor and the only way they can justify losing to use is by trash talking. There has never been a time where any of our coaches have ever said anything negative about a specific program. There are plenty of times we see our coaches at competitions with coaches from other gyms, talking, socializing and having a good time. You can not control parents in a program but the coahes can control the kids behavior. It is made very clar to all the kids before the first competition that regardless of what is said to them, how the scores come out or what they witness that when they are in uniform they are not allowed to trash talk or be rude and if they are there are serious consequences. I have had parents from other gyms ask me about the program we are at and try to "sell" me on their program, why do parents assume that if i am at their rival gym I want to leave?

I honestly am always more shocked when coaches display unsportsmanlike conduct. I have never understood it. We are teaching these children more than just cheerleading. They will look to us to learn how to act and react. It hurts me more when another adult, especially one who is in charge, attacks.

I have to say, I adore posting and reading here. However, like anything else, when a team that others really admire happens to not always be the most sportsmanlike, I have to bite my tongue, and fingers, to not out them. I will not demean myself to drop to their level, but it isn't always easy. I guess I hold everyone to my standard, and can't understand when they don't fulfill that.

My question is, why would you stay at a gym that allows staff or even if the OWNERS act like that? I just don't understand why people get on here and complain about the gym they are still a member of, I just don't get it, there are so many options. Or if you choose to stay, your the parent, stand up for your KID!

My question is, why would you stay at a gym that allows staff or even if the OWNERS act like that? I just don't understand why people get on here and complain about the gym they are still a member of, I just don't get it, there are so many options. Or if you choose to stay, your the parent, stand up for your KID!

It isn't always your gym. Every instance I have ever been a part of, involved coaches/owners from another gym.

i would hope that a person would remove themselves from such a negative environment however it is more of an outside observation. we are all doing it for the kids or at least we should be and with this huge push for good sportsmanship when are we actually going to see a change. i know we have our usasf credentialing but do you think there should be some sort of ethical agreement as well? that way if you are in preach of it the usasf can give some sort of consequence? i'm not sure i'm just thinking out loud.

it's one thing when kids take to facebook, twitter, the boards to let our their angst and frustration... but when adults (owners/coaches/parents) initiate that behavior and then have the nerve to ENGAGE athletes in the slandering via likes and comments, it's unacceptable. high school antics are left best with those in 9th-12th grades, not middle aged women and men.

it's one thing when kids take to facebook, twitter, the boards to let our their angst and frustration... but when adults (owners/coaches/parents) initiate that behavior and then have the nerve to ENGAGE athletes in the slandering via likes and comments, it's unacceptable. high school antics are left best with those in 9th-12th grades, not middle aged women and men.

Some haven't left that mentality.

Oh my.. I would like to know which gym you would be referring to?? Maybe your sources should of spied and gave you correct gossip...lol... Good luck to your program as well and your right Karma is going to bite very hard...

Yeah, its a shame when OWNERS don't practice what they preach also. Wait, what? Thats right, they do, but they only preach it publicly. Behind closed doors they slander, backstab, and actually are the biggest hypocrits of them all. We've all witnessed it for years and its quite disgusting. Good luck next season to everyone involved, some will certainly need it from what I heard about tryouts. Karma is going to bite HARD this season.

Back