All-Star "proud To Be A Cheerlebrity Free Gym" <-- Really????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok - so I was going to post this in the Cheer - Dangers Of Cheerlebrity | Fierce Board - We Talk Cheerleading thread but I think it's only fair to let that conversation continue as this is a different aspect of the topic.

So I first saw the new "Cheerlebrity Free Zone Agreement" topic last night and thought nothing of it. Then this morning I see that the same gym owner that I was discussing in my original post is the one who apparently started it all and is promoting it.

Now I have no problem with the whole pledge, I think it's a great thing for those gyms who would like to participate and promote it. I do have a problem when a well know individual in the industry uses his "clout" to create something in an attempt to demonize children that happen to be more well known.

If I hadn't seen his posts months ago basically calling out cheerlebrities in the state, then I might believe this whole thing is coming from a good place of wanting to keep the sport "pure" so to speak. But this to me just seems like someone using his influence to bash on kids and gyms who choose to work with them. The fact that the only way to get added to the list is to contact him directly, well that just seems wrong.

Let me go into his FB post a little because he says something on there that isn't true. Specifically he asks people to name someone in middle or high school that plays a team sport and has celebrity sports status. While there may be none currently there certainly have been some in the past. Freddie Adu, Bobby Convey, and Santino Quaranta made their Major League Soccer debuts at the ages of 14, 16 and 16 respectively. Soccer is definitely a team sport and has had young stars in it for years.

Kobe Bryant went from High School directly to the NBA, I'm sure the notoriety surrounding him prior to entering the draft had to be great if he went as the 13th overall pick in the draft.

I also find it extremely hypocritical considering this gym owner has recently started his own talent agency, has a member of the Big Rich Atlanta cast in the gym and recently used his status as the choreographer for a show on the WB to cast his current and past cheerleaders in upcoming shows.

Please don't take my knowing this information as me being an insider on this whole thing, it's all right there on his publicly open FB page for anyone to look at.

I also think it's a bit hypocritical that one of the teams that has already agreed to the pledge has a few people everyone considers to be celebrities and is currently filming a reality show for web that they hope will make it to TV.

Again, I have no problem with the pledge. I do have a problem with people not practicing what they preach and using their influence as a way to drive a personal vendetta in the industry. I'm sorry but how am I and other parents, gym owners and industry leaders suppose to take your new pledge seriously with his behavior since May?

One last thing. If we are truly a sport it's natural for fans to pick out certain members of teams as superstars. People weren't just Celtics, Bulls, Kings, Lakers or Hornets fans. They liked Jordan, Bird, Gretzky, Dr. J, Magic Johnson, Spud Web, all these people that made their sports great and helped make people fans of their teams. Perhaps the cheerlebrity craze has gone the way major league sports in that some people have become famous simply for being famous and not for their athletic ability.

Let's not damn the athletes that are chosen by the fans for those that go on social media and ask for the notoriety.

Ummm... Hello, Lebron James anyone?!
I would think that anyone who follows sports besides cheerleading would know this. Every season we're aware of the top draft picks for some of the major team players. I know who FSU's looking at in high school and they're already well known. I remember when Wake Forest was looking at Jeff Teague while he was in high school, or Jodie Meeks from Kentucky. Are people really that ignorant that they don't know this does exist for other sports? Here's an excerpt from Meek's wiki:

"Meeks attended Norcross High School, which he led to its first state basketball championship in 2006 under coach Eddie Martin. During his senior high school season, Meeks averaged 23.6 points per game during the regular season and 28.3 points per game during the state playoffs. Meeks was named the 2006 Atlanta Journal-Constitution Player of the Year . He was also named 2006 Gwinnett Daily Post Player of the Year, 2006 Atlanta Tipoff Club Metro Player of the Year and Player of the Month (February 2006). He was named to the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) All Star Team and led the North Team to its first victory in over three years. He was named the North Squads’ MVP. He was also named to the All Tournament Team at Bob Gibbons, Kingwood, The Main Event (Las Vegas), Chick-Fil-A, and Dell Curry’s Bojangles tournament. Also, he was named to the 2006 Derby Classic All Star game and played with many of his future Kentucky teammates on April 15, 2006 against rival Louisville recruits."

Now you wanna tell me that this kid wasn't well known and/or put on a pedestal in anyway in high school? :rolleyes: Not that he didn't deserve it bc well...he's an amazing bb player. This is not some new phenomena either. I can give you at least 10 very well known kids in this country for every major sport. The difference with the idolization they get from cheerleaders is that there's actually continues and gets worse!! Trust me, we were buddies w/a few of some Wake Forest bb players years ago and when we went to celebrate one of their bday's (he's pro now), it was like they were movie stars.

I was taught (or rather it was expected!!) that we were/are not to bother, ask for autographs, etc. the celebrities that came/come through his stations in any way. I guess in that regard, growing up and meeting famous people, we learned to regard them as just normal people. Are there some I would literally die to see and/or meet? Sure a few. But I understand that at the end of the day, they're just regular people like you and me, and they actually appreciate a more down to earth type of meeting anyway (well most of them..of course there are the obnoxious ones just like in the cheer world). Being famous gets old for many people and I really feel sorry for people who go into a field they love, but don't want the fame, that the public just happens to idolize. There are many athletes, musicians, and actors who go into their respective fields bc they love the craft.

kristenthegreat Do you seek fame or do you love your craft? I think I already know the answer though... ;)

kristenthegreat Do you seek fame or do you love your craft? I think I already know the answer though... ;)
I don't think wanting recognition for my talent and hard work is a crime :D

I mean, in a way it's similar. If you're getting into acting for money or fame, you're barking up the wrong tree. It's a lot of hard work, it's a lot of time, and it's a lot of rejection and sticking through things when the going gets tough. But I love what I do. I love having the chance to perform and explore and learn and work with amazing people.

Now replace 'acting' with 'cheer.' See what happens..

Now you wanna tell me that this kid wasn't well known and/or put on a pedestal in anyway in high school? :rolleyes: Not that he didn't deserve it bc well...he's an amazing bb player. This is not some new phenomena either. I can give you at least 10 very well known kids in this country for every major sport. The difference with the idolization they get from cheerleaders is that there's actually continues and gets worse!! Trust me, we were buddies w/a few of some Wake Forest bb players years ago and when we went to celebrate one of their bday's (he's pro now), it was like they were movie stars.

*their's :oops:
can I facepalm myself?

I don't think wanting recognition for my talent and hard work is a crime :D

I mean, in a way it's similar. If you're getting into acting for money or fame, you're barking up the wrong tree. It's a lot of hard work, it's a lot of time, and it's a lot of rejection and sticking through things when the going gets tough. But I love what I do. I love having the chance to perform and explore and learn and work with amazing people.

Now replace 'acting' with 'cheer.' See what happens..
Thank you...That's what I thought ;)

Ever wonder why some "dads" are on the boards so much. They obviously have a stake in things or they would spending time with their families instead of arguing on a cheer board.

Ever wonder why some "dads" are on the boards so much. They obviously have a stake in things or they would spending time with their families instead of arguing on a cheer board.
Replace Dads with Moms. Now we're even, I do believe in equally opportunity offensiveness. :D

ETA: DANG IT. Thought I was being sneaky and fast :(

I would think that anyone who follows sports besides cheerleading would know this. Every season we're aware of the top draft picks for some of the major team players. I know who FSU's looking at in high school and they're already well known. I remember when Wake Forest was looking at Jeff Teague while he was in high school, or Jodie Meeks from Kentucky. Are people really that ignorant that they don't know this does exist for other sports? Here's an excerpt from Meek's wiki:

"Meeks attended Norcross High School, which he led to its first state basketball championship in 2006 under coach Eddie Martin. During his senior high school season, Meeks averaged 23.6 points per game during the regular season and 28.3 points per game during the state playoffs. Meeks was named the 2006 Atlanta Journal-Constitution Player of the Year . He was also named 2006 Gwinnett Daily Post Player of the Year, 2006 Atlanta Tipoff Club Metro Player of the Year and Player of the Month (February 2006). He was named to the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) All Star Team and led the North Team to its first victory in over three years. He was named the North Squads’ MVP. He was also named to the All Tournament Team at Bob Gibbons, Kingwood, The Main Event (Las Vegas), Chick-Fil-A, and Dell Curry’s Bojangles tournament. Also, he was named to the 2006 Derby Classic All Star game and played with many of his future Kentucky teammates on April 15, 2006 against rival Louisville recruits."

Now that you bring it up, this happened to a kid that graduated with me, JP Tokoto, who now plays basketball for UNC. He had been scouted by big colleges all since he was a freshman and coaches would often come to game to watch him (of course students lined up to get pictures with the coaches....does this make them coachlebrities??). I feel like teachers did treat him differently and people put him on a pedestal, like you said. He has over 15,000 followers on twitter, which is right up there with what our cheerlebs have. Although we may not see these things, they do happen in other sports.

Unlike all of us moms...:enjoyshow:

Really dads. Get it together. :rolleyes: If there's one thing I can't stand it's a dad who takes an interest in an activity that their child participates in. I much prefer absent dads who can't even name their cp's cheer gym. <sarcasm font>

CheerDadof2 seriously. Go write your checks and stop with this interest in cheer. :p

Pfffffffffffffffft. I'm going to go on record and say that this board would be woefully boring without us parents.

Really dads. Get it together. :rolleyes: If there's one thing I can't stand it's a dad who takes an interest in an activity that their child participates in. I much prefer absent dads who can't even name their cp's cheer gym. <sarcasm font>

CheerDadof2 seriously. Go write your checks and stop with this interest in cheer. :p

Pfffffffffffffffft. I'm going to go on record and say that this board would be woefully boring without us parents.
I'm glad you've come home. *huggles* I couldn't stand it if you'd left for good!

You are so not kidding!!!!!! What I have said ever since I started coaching allstars is this: If i could Close all of the parent rooms, get rid of them entirely, I would!!!!! I would designate 1 day per month where parents would be able to watch a couple of fullouts, no more!!!!! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I am so glad my daughter didn't want to continue with cheerleading after she was about 8, after only 1 year, she chose Basketball, score for me her dad, who just didn't almost want her to get involved-even though she was involved with Rec. Cheer:cool: I couldn't have been her Dad, and be a Coach as well, would have been too much for me, even though at that point, I had already coached for 12 years.... But again, Thank you to all of the Mom's and Dad's who continue to provide me and I am sure others so much Entertainment on this page and others!!!!!!!:fro:

My wife, the 'team mom', refuses to come on this board, so it is up to me to get on and see what's going on.... plus it is one of the few ways I manage to get info about the cheer world.

Funny because a CP's mom at this gym is on Big Rich Atlanta so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they become a "cheerlebrity"
BTW-that show is a joke. Could only watch about 5 minutes. But then again I don't watch any of the Honey Boo, Real House, Cheer Perfect of anything.

Back