All-Star "proud To Be A Cheerlebrity Free Gym" <-- Really????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So in the, I don't know 5 - 6 hours since my last post it appears someone remembered an old log in ID they created and decided to activate it. I'm glad my opinions and postings today have brought out such (well shoot I don't know if it's interest in your CP, the industry your work in or.... so I'll go with passion) brought back your passion for cheer enough to come on the thread and call out a dad for taking an interest in their CP's sport. God forbid there be engaged straight men involved in cheerleading. Really?????????

kristenthegreat - I'm not sure which post it was today but I found myself thinking, "I knew there was a reason I liked her posts"

socratesofcheer - It's not that I dislike you, I just think it's strange that every time I post an opinion about something that I'm assuming you disagree with, you try to find out what gym my CP's are at. Sorry but that's just creepy - other then that I really have no thoughts one way or the other on you

Just went back and re-read that post and realized that it stated "dads" - so what I'm not really a man or dad, just someone pretending to be for the sake of what? Bashing on a prominent coach that acts like a 8 year old spoiled brat and thinks that because he's been around for 20+ years that he deserves the respect and attention he once had?

Sorry but respect is earned and while I may respect the work you've done in the past, you lost all respect when you started picking on kids. As for the attention you once had, sorry but you're not what you once where and from what I've read today on here and other places - you seem to be the only one who hasn't realized it. Or maybe you have and that's why you're trying to stay relevant.

Honestly I don't think I could pretend to be anything other then what I am. I'd forget to get into character

Night all - I said good day to you sir :shaka:

OK - just saw this on FB and had to repost - love this

- Although some of the things in which you write about are true I think you are missing the big picture. You as a gym owner and veteran of the industry can't honestly say athletes in your gym haven't left school early or skipped a day after a long weekend. What's the difference if this child's peers recognized them as "exceptional" and that athletes parent(s) enabled their child to begin forging a lifelong experience. Yes, it could turn out bad or it could be what set them on the path to true greatness. Without risk there is no reward! As for that "one" athlete, I have had the pleasure of working with her and her sisters and I'm friends with their parents. I'm not a parent, but I do respect the difficulty of that job. If they, as the leaders of that family, choose to move it must be in their heart and what they think is best. Next, yes. I think they are all wrong. First, the internet, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Fierce board all the things which allowed access to these athletes didn't come out in the early 90's when the 'old-school' Cheerlebs formed our sport to what it is today. I have no doubt in my mind that if the world were connected then as it is today the same phenomena would have occurred to the "originals." Second, you're circle of influence gives you leverage over others so regardless of content people will support it. 30 gyms and 450 likes is a very small percentage of our industry which again isn't very big any way. The most unfortunate piece to this puzzle is that mainstream culture doesn't have a professional athletic status for our athletes so the "celebrity" falls on the shoulders of our elite who happen to be children. I think instead of promoting an anti-cheerlebrity campaign you should promote teaching the children to be stewards of their gifts and to maximize their potential and to utilize the influence they have to treat people better and teach others to do the same. The easy solution to them 'messing up team unity' is for you to be a better leader and not let a child be in charge. Just treat them as they are...members of a team.

The thing that bothers me is that most of the "cheerlebrities" didn't ask to be one

I agree they are just girls doing what they love. One thing that bothers me is people saying how rude they are. how would you feel if you had 100 people running up to get pictures with you all the time when you just want to hang out with you team and not be pushed around by other people asking for pictures.

I don't think it's the existence of "cheerlebrities" that are the problem. I think its the general (increasing) fervor to which they're responded to that is the problem. Let's face it - if everyone had decent "home training" and didn't run up screaming like crazed Bieberfans when they got a glimpse of a "cheerlebrity" and hunt them down at competitions like they're entitled to a picture with a perfect stranger, this wouldn't be an issue at all. Even if you buy the argument that they promote themselves online (which I'm not weighing in on one way or the other) it doesn't give you license to lose your ever-loving mind when you see three strands of hair from the top of their head going into warm-ups.

As a matter of fact, it wasn't the issue it is now until the poor kids from CA got mobbed at competition from a pack of ravenous cheer/leaders/fans etc. whose parents apparently never taught them socially acceptable manners.

Yeah....I said it.
You are frickin hilarious! Those poor kids. Btw, i got one of those hairs that fell and it's posted on ebay, just sayin! :D:kiss:

My wife, the 'team mom', refuses to come on this board, so it is up to me to get on and see what's going on.... plus it is one of the few ways I manage to get info about the cheer world.
I say Power to the cheer Dads, there are far to few of you watching your daughters grow up and potentially end up in the hands of some shmuck because she has daddy problems.
My parents and neighbors went to the Summit last year to support my daughters team and they were baffled by my husbands cheer talk and how well he handled cheer world. We fortunately have a good Dad team on our roster, it could and should be better, but I love the Cheer Dads of the world!:shimmy:

Well if you look at other sports that are supposedly 'team' sports such as baseball and football..they all have their stars. While we appreciate the team as a whole in these sports too there's always one or two athletes on the team that everyone goes crazy for. Not saying it's necessarily right, not saying they're the best but it is how it is, it's not just cheer it happens in. For example; I can literally only name Hope Solo from USA women's soccer team.

It's when these 'cheerlebrities' start doing silly things like selling signed bows that smell like them (oh lordy) that I start to roll my eyes a bit..but I guess I can't blame them..Its better than being famous for being a boozy reality star I guess!

First of all, I don't think cheerlebs have formed our sport to what it is today. The creativity of the routines and the difficulty that has been added has formed the sport. Those who were 'lucky' enough to be put in the spotlight because they were the standouts for stunting, jumping, etc. have been 'lucky' enough to get noticed and have their name out there. The first time I was 'wowed' was watching Top Gun and their innovative choreography quite a few years ago. I wasn't watching just one person.

Our owner doesn't believe in the cheerlebrity thing because it's a team sport so we are a cheerleb free zone too.

Okay, I may be totally off on this, but I read that statement as "If you're a wanna be/currently is/has been cheerlebrity we will not give you a platform to bask in your own glow". I see them as promoting the gym as a family over one athlete or one team. Didn't a bunch of gyms sign that 'anti-cheerlebrity' pact last year? Am I totally missing the point? Wouldn't be the first time.

Well if you look at other sports that are supposedly 'team' sports such as baseball and football..they all have their stars. While we appreciate the team as a whole in these sports too there's always one or two athletes on the team that everyone goes crazy for. Not saying it's necessarily right, not saying they're the best but it is how it is, it's not just cheer it happens in. For example; I can literally only name Hope Solo from USA women's soccer team.

It's when these 'cheerlebrities' start doing silly things like selling signed bows that smell like them (oh lordy) that I start to roll my eyes a bit..but I guess I can't blame them..Its better than being famous for being a boozy reality star I guess!

maybe im out of the loop A LOT but those stars are on professional teams. allstars cheer is an amateur sport. no one is paid.

To be honest, if it wasn't for cheerlebrities, I probably would have never discovered the sport of cheerleading.

I'm a non-cheering cheer fan who kinda fell in love with the sport without doing it. After stumbling across some cheerlebrity accounts on Instagram I decided I wanted to know what this was all about. Even if Cheerleading is a team sport, you're always going to have the stars on a team, the names you remember. It's like saying that it's not ok to only know the name of the quarterback on an NFL team. He couldn't complete a pass without a receiver but that doesn't minimize his talent or the amount of appreciation he should get.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Really dads. Get it together. :rolleyes: If there's one thing I can't stand it's a dad who takes an interest in an activity that their child participates in. I much prefer absent dads who can't even name their cp's cheer gym. <sarcasm font>

CheerDadof2 seriously. Go write your checks and stop with this interest in cheer. :p

Pfffffffffffffffft. I'm going to go on record and say that this board would be woefully boring without us parents.
Wait, that is all we're supposed to do. Dammit, been doing it wrong for years. :(

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Back