All-Star Pushing Through Routines

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One of my cheerleaders came to me in warm up before our very first competition a couple of years ago and mentioned that her shoulder hurt from warming her scorp up but that it was ok. I had a quick look and feel... no swelling... no flinching... she seemed fine stretching still. As head coach, I'd trained them to tell me about the slightest injury... better be safe than sorry when it comes to looking after our athletes... and our necks!

She did the rest of warm up and then the routine and only after did she come to me in very obvious pain... her shoulder now swelling up. Turns out, she had dislocated her shoulder and popped it back in herself. She had the highlight stunt and wasn't going to let me take her out of the routine because the team depended on her... It was that moment that I realised she was as dumb as I was when I was still cheering and as mad about the sport as I still am. She's now one of my best friends and coaches alongside me.
sounds like our team! my coach is always trying to get everyone to tell us when something hurts but even in practices we keep it a secret from her so she doesnt find out and have us sit for awhile. lol. the other night though she got kinda mad because no one told her about their injuries, so now every night she reminds us that she NEEDS to know lol :D

Theres a video of either ICE or ICC at worlds where a girl tore her ACL tumbling I think...

I don't understand how anyone could do that... I tore my ACL and my meniscus during a running tumbling run through, took one step and I was done. I just couldn't get up
Agree. I've torn mine twice - once in practice, once in a competition and I couldn't walk. Period. It wasn't about being tough, I physically could not stand on it. My brother tore his and it was like nothing was wrong. According to my Dr I have unusually tight, compact joints. Maybe you're the same way. I torn my elbow and still stunted and tumbled though. Watching some of these makes MY knee hurt! I feel for that SSX arm girl. The video quality is so good you can see just how bad it is it in her face the whole time! I'm impressed!

At Worlds in 2010 one of our guys tore his ACL/MCL/PCL on the practice mat just before pre-lims. We were the last team on in the Milkhouse and no delays allowed (it was already 10:45 PM). He competed everything (hobbling his way through it), all his stunts, his standing tumbling, and point dance. To make things even more interesting, he came to the coaching staff the next morning and asked to remain in the routine for Finals. He did. We placed 8th. He is one hell of an athlete.

2 years ago at Cheersport my daughter was throwing whip through to double and I knew in the whip she was gonna be in trouble but she still tried to finish the pass. Of course she landed short on the double and went down hard. She was VERY slow to get up but finally did. She hobbled to her stunt group and you could see the pain in her face. She finished the routine and just collapsed at the end. Watching the video back on the screen was even scarier. She is tougher than I could ever be that's for sure. She competed day 2 at Cheersport but she did not tumble. Luckily she only strained her knee so she didn't tumble for a week and then got back in for NCA the next weekend.

The first time I ever saw someone push through a routine was the backspot on Shooting Stars back in the day whose teeth got knocked out when her flyer doubled with her elbow out. Did anyone else see that?

There was also a guy at either Cheersport Nationals 2002 or 2003 who tumbled off the stage into the crowd ran back around and kept going. This was back when they were the only spring floor comp so people weren't used to that much power in competition. I can't remember what team it was but it was either Top Gun or a team in their division because we were all crammed in there like sardines. Does anyone else remember that?

At Worlds in 2010 one of our guys tore his ACL/MCL/PCL on the practice mat just before pre-lims. We were the last team on in the Milkhouse and no delays allowed (it was already 10:45 PM). He competed everything (hobbling his way through it), all his stunts, his standing tumbling, and point dance. To make things even more interesting, he came to the coaching staff the next morning and asked to remain in the routine for Finals. He did. We placed 8th. He is one hell of an athlete.
(if this is the person I'm thinking of) danced AMAZINGLY on his knee should be added :p

Back