All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There are actually three schools with A&T and a competitive cheer program! Gannon is one of them - we are very fortunate here that both are considered a sport and we have access to great resources! A&T and Comp Cheer were added at the same time (April 2013) so for both programs, this is our first competitive season. We both are also separate from our traditional sideline program. I am the competitive cheer coach, and I oversee the gameday cheer team (cheer at home football and basketball games) but they have their own coach and are an entirely separate program. We're fortunate that our administration here is so supportive of both programs and we have not had any issues with having all three teams (Comp Cheer, A&T, and sideline) coexisting successfully.
That's so awesome that your admin are so supportive of all your programs!

There are actually three schools with A&T and a competitive cheer program! Gannon is one of them - we are very fortunate here that both are considered a sport and we have access to great resources! A&T and Comp Cheer were added at the same time (April 2013) so for both programs, this is our first competitive season. We both are also separate from our traditional sideline program. I am the competitive cheer coach, and I oversee the gameday cheer team (cheer at home football and basketball games) but they have their own coach and are an entirely separate program. We're fortunate that our administration here is so supportive of both programs and we have not had any issues with having all three teams (Comp Cheer, A&T, and sideline) coexisting successfully.

I know that Adrian College in MI also has a competitive cheer team, but share a coaching staff with their A&T program - at least last I had heard back in the fall. I am also 99% sure that King University in TN has a competitive cheer team in addition to their A&T program. Our competitive cheer team does not compete in STUNT, but will be attending NCA College Nationals, in addition to other local/regional events. I don't believe either of the other schools participate in STUNT either, but I'm not positive on that. So while it's definitely unlikely, it's not impossible!

To be honest, I wish more schools would consider both - there's more than enough interest at the youth/high school level to support both programs and athletes tend to gravitate toward one or the other because the competitive format is so different. I like that at Gannon we have access to the exact same resources (funding, scholarships, equipment, practice space, athletic training, etc.) because it really allows the athletes to pick what's the best fit for them - they each have their own merits! We love having both programs here and it has really worked well so far.

Just thought I would share!
That's awesome that the administration is so supportive of all three. Just curious, is it allowed for any crossovers between the comp team and the game day?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That's awesome that the administration is so supportive of all three. Just curious, is it allowed for any crossovers between the comp team and the game day?

Yes, we're very grateful for that! And this year I allowed for crossovers during football season only. I had only three girls on comp cheer who wanted to cheer football - I allowed them because two were seniors who had cheered for gameday for three years before comp cheer existed, and didnt want to leave that team. The third was a freshman who had only ever cheered all star and just wanted to try cheering games. Our gameday team is a pretty minimal time commitment for football (two practices a week and about 6 home games total) so it's manageable to do both. (Gameday is under athletics but more of a club, so it's pretty relaxed here.)I do not let them crossover for basketball season because the scheduling is just too much and we're in season for comp cheer at that point. As a general rule though, the athletes I recruit typically have no interest in cheering games - over the next few years I expect there will be few crossovers until eventually there are none. It is something we will continuously evaluate as our comp cheer program keeps growing!

Just looking at the NCA performance order and I see *TC*, does anyone know what this means? Eg. World Cup Shooting Stars - *TC*

Earlier when looking I noticed the column "SG?" and then some people had x's in them and some did not. What does SG stand for?

@cheerKT you're affiliated (or used to be) with ACX right? I have their Small Coed with an AL bid from BUTBT but the USASF website doesn't list them with a bid.

Around what time do you find out if you have made UCA staff?? My friend got letter saying she made NCA staff last week, so now I am *trying* to be patient waiting for my UCA one

Back