All-Star Really? Can't A Parent Just Be A Parent?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I love this thread! My husband and I both LOVE watching our girls. We watch every practice and both attend every comp and stay and watch all of the teams. I cheered all of my life and have been dealing with all stars for about 10 years, so I havea good base knowledge of it all. My husband didn't even know all star existed until we met about 6 years ago. He now knows more than most cheer moms and takes thousands of pics at the comps of all of the kids and posts them for the parents to be able to have. Sometimes I have to say "could we get a few pics of our kids" lol It is just something that is important to us, if we are going to put all of the time and money into something, we are going to understand it. Not to mention the quality time we both get with our girls. We live an hour from the gym and yes, we could car pool or just one of us parents go, but we would miss out on the quality time and getting to see the girls do something they love.

The thing about this thread that makes me laugh the most is when we first got to the gym 3 years ago, I told the owner I was "that mom." So, every time I need to ask her a question or we need to talk it is now our running joke. "Oh no, here comes that mom" I know not all parents are as into their children and their interests as we are, but bottom line, we are. Our kids LOVE that we are, and although we (as parents) rarely miss practice, when we do our cp's are like "hurry back" or "can't you go after practice?" I love being "that mom", I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

This is exactly like my mom, yes she likes being involved with my cheer by being supportive of me but she never tries to coach our team. Also she's really supportive of me. Thats how all our moms at the gym are.

well with our sparkly flasks, we'll be giving a whole new meaning to "one of those moms" - at least now the coaches will be GLAD when they see us coming!

Can you make sparkly flasks for coaches as well? I might need a big one to get me through the first few weeks of the new season :)

How about make that 9; I definitely want one of those shirts!
I'm not going to state my opinion on this matter because y'all already got me covered!
I'm very interested in my daughters life and what she does with cheer; like I want to go into the army but I don't want to deploy because I don't want to miss that long of watching or encouraging my daughter so that is holding me back!
At my daughters gym; everyone calls me crazy. Although I don't tell the coach what to do or where my child should or shouldn't be! I don't doubt team placements even though my 6year only has a BHS and I think she should of made SR4, lol jp.
I'm not that mom; I just want to make sure my daughter is happy. I feel all of our kids will appreciate it more in the long run opening it up for our kids to talk to and trust it with everything else! So good job everyone on being great parents!

Our team practices are closed, so we eliminate a lot of the problems with some of those moms. I consider my CPs coach my friend, but when she is coaching her, she's her coach. Not me. I don't question her, but feel fortunate that I have a good enough rapport with her that I can talk to her about things. Usually it's what CP needs to do to get certain skills, if
CPs upset, etc., but never about where she is in a routine, or anything like that.

One comment I have, though, is I don't understand why so many people seem afraid to approach the coaches (at the appropriate times). I feel that I am paying thousands of dollars for my daughter to do this sport. If I I have a legitimate concern, I should be able to express it.

And last, Iwant a flask!!

I think I'll assemble a "Not one of those moms" survival kit. In it you will find:

-- obviously your membership t-shirt
-- sparkly flask in you gym's colors
-- @CheerMomNTx 's Guide to NOT driving your coaches insane
-- recipe guide to the best cocktails that can be casually made in your seat using only the contents of your flask and drinks that are readily available at most convention centers
-- list of possible topics of conversation for the parent viewing area other than talking about other people's kids' skills
-- headphones and Sudoku book in case Suzie's Mom is actually there trying to lure you into her web of drama.
I can hardly wait to try those recipes! LOL! :enjoyshow:

I think I'll assemble a "Not one of those moms" survival kit. In it you will find:

-- obviously your membership t-shirt
-- sparkly flask in you gym's colors
-- @CheerMomNTx 's Guide to NOT driving your coaches insane
-- recipe guide to the best cocktails that can be casually made in your seat using only the contents of your flask and drinks that are readily available at most convention centers
-- list of possible topics of conversation for the parent viewing area other than talking about other people's kids' skills
-- headphones and Sudoku book in case Suzie's Mom is actually there trying to lure you into her web of drama.

Crack me up!!! The vodka in your sparkly flask mixes well with OJ (for those early morning comps). By the time the afternoon rolls around it won't taste that bad straight up. ;)

Sometimes - saying something nice to a coach is just saying something nice to a coach - not trying to suck up because you want sally to be placed on a team or given special treatment. I am a firm believer in feedback and I give both negative and positive - I am a firm believer that coaches have a VERY difficult job and it comes with a lot of BS so when there is a coach that stands out and is amazing I think comments/recognition should be given just as much as when there is one that is the opposite.

I DO have my own life my own passions my own everything -- but I also love and enjoy my children and want to be part of what they are doing -- I helped in classrooms - I chaparoned field trips - I help with homework - I help with class projects/etc -- why is it when wanting to be involved in THIS sport is is turned to a negative? Why does "cheer mom" have to have that negative feeling about it instead of being something to be PROUD of??

Just wanted to say that from a coaches perspective that a parent telling me they think I'm doing a good job (especially a little one's parent) is one of the highest compliments you can receive. It let's us know that you support us and that you appreciate what we do.

From a cheerleaders perspective- Cheerleading is what my mom and I do together. She comes to all the practices she can, watches my privates, watches ESPN Worlds with me. If that makes her a "cheer mom" I don't care. I love that she is a cheer mom because it's something we do together and her opinion matters just as much to me as a coach's does. This is a sport of stereotypes. Cheerleaders are called ditzy and bratty, but that doesn't make me any less proud to call myself a cheerleader. So go forth and be a cheer mom, be proud, break down the stereotype, and love your kids.

I would love a shirt too!

But can I request that the sparkly flasks are small flasks??? The cheer moms that were stumbling over the seats in Orlando were really detracting from their cp's event.

Glad to report I've only come across 1 of "those moms" at my gym the entire two years we've been there. I think "Cheer Mom" is a misnomer!

Back