All-Star Rebel Takes On Goliath

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's beyond apparel. Varsity has their fingers and influences everything cheer related. They are cheer! They've either funded or are part of running almost every governing board for cheer. (see links below). No other company or organization has the sort of reach. They are the ICU (International Cheer Union). What other sport is run by a for-profit body (that is also trying to get into the Olympics)? They have almost majority rule on the USASF BOG (board of governors), and cheer safety committees. They dictate the activity, policies, and rulings. You can't tell me that isn't a conflict of interest. Of course, they're going to rule in their best interest. They're also one of the reasons cheer isn't classified as a sport (see link 4th paragraph). If that were to happen they would lose their empire and have to play by sport rules and sell off some of their division because of a conflict of interest.

They even provide the insurance coverage required for cheer.

All one has to do it go onto their main website and scroll down to the bottom to see the subsidiaries of Varsity including camps, competitions, service companies and more.

You can't tell me that with their 1.2 billion empire they don't run and have a monopoly on cheer?!?

Out of 18 spots on the USASF board - 7 are held by Varsity and Varsity divisions. USASF Board Listing

AACCA is Varsity and shares the very same mailing address.

ICU (Internatioanl Cheer Union) is Varsity. Their contact person Sheila Noon is listed for both Varsity PR and also ICU contact lists. Varsity Link ICU Link

USA Cheer & Varsity have the exact same mailing address! USA Cheer used to be headed up by Varsity VP Bill Seely.

STUNT - was created by Varsity

The list goes on and on. No wonder it'll never be a sport. Cheer is a business - an industry.

ETA: Every fact is hyperlinked with a source. Oh, and...Baazinga!
My chest feels tight reading that. It's like there's no escape.

I see the "poor quality" on the other side of the coin. Cp can get a full season out of nfinitys but wore 2-3 pair of varsity shoes a season for the 2 years we used them.
We have had the opposite experience.
With the level of tumbling some kids do, I think shoe preference is a very personal decision.
CP doesn't like the way Varsity shoes fit her feet. She wore a pair for less than a season before she got holes in the bottom and went back to Nfinity. Personally, we've had great experiences with Nfinity. The Phoenix (may they rest in peace) we loved. They lasted her 2 years and I threw them in the washer every month or so. The Vengeance I hated. They fell apart and I felt her flying wasn't as stable when she had those. The Defiance are working great for her. I would have been fine with the gym banning Vengeance for poor quality, but, to me, banning a whole manufacturer for poor quality wasn't justified without documentation.

Are Nfinity better than Varsity or vice versa? Not necessarily. It's up to the individual wearing them to decide based on their own usage.

CP's worn both Varsity and Nfinity and clearly has a favourite based on how it fits her foot. One pinched her achilles tendon and she hated wearing them due to discomfort, but others loved them. Personal preference for sure.

With the level of tumbling some kids do, I think shoe preference is a very personal decision.
CP doesn't like the way Varsity shoes fit her feet. She wore a pair for less than a season before she got holes in the bottom and went back to Nfinity. Personally, we've had great experiences with Nfinity. The Phoenix (may they rest in peace) we loved. They lasted her 2 years and I threw them in the washer every month or so. The Vengeance I hated. They fell apart and I felt her flying wasn't as stable when she had those. The Defiance are working great for her. I would have been fine with the gym banning Vengeance for poor quality, but, to me, banning a whole manufacturer for poor quality wasn't justified without documentation.

Are Nfinity better than Varsity or vice versa? Not necessarily. It's up to the individual wearing them to decide based on their own usage.
Agreed. She has Nfinity Evolutions but they got so dirty so fast (even being worn only indoors) and I don't feel they held up very well. Her school used Game Days and they made her feet hurt (but she has accessory neviuculae). And this year, as a first year program we use Chasse Ace and they have held up just as good (and stayed whiter) than the Nfinitys.

My chest feels tight reading that. It's like there's no escape.

I previously decided against spending the time to post the things I found when researching Varsity's business practices. But one who is fairly "Google savvy" can find many, many lawsuits filed by Varsity against competing cheer uniform companies. Their most recent lawsuit, which is ongoing, is over another company having similar-to-Varsity's uniform patterns in their catalog. And we aren't talking about graphics or even original designs (Varsity does NOT claim the designs they copyrighted were original). They are sueing because this other company used stripes and color blocks on SCHOOL cheer uniforms making them look similar to the copyrighted Varsity school cheer uniforms...

Last edited:
There is more than enough proof out there. IMO they are hiding out in the open and daring someone to see. We are cheerleading is their statement of fact, not aspiration or goal.

Whenever I hear we want proof, I really hear - show me your hand so we can better defend ourselves against what you already know. Not falling for that one. There are too many lurkers on these boards and others that only screenshot stuff and send it in to headquarters looking for brownie points. This used to be a rumor. But when a another message board owner was called asking to divulge my name and location because I was hitting too close to home, I knew then all these boards were being watched. Free, but not really free. He didn't do it, and for that I was grateful. But I learned from that never tip your whole hand. Ever.

Another thing that struck me as strange. I have been on the boards for a long time. There are many savvy business people here, not just coaches and athletes. Only recently in discussions have people started calling Varsity an oligopoly vs a monopoly. Always from someone that either worked for Varsity, or stood to benefit from being somehow tethered to Varsity. In short, it sounds like a talking points memo, drafted from a legal point of view.

***Once again - as a disclaimer - we are not attacking anyone. Simply having an adult discussion. Just because my experiences are not your experiences does not mean my experiences are not valid nor are yours. They are simply different.***

There is more than enough proof out there. IMO they are hiding out in the open and daring someone to see. We are cheerleading is their statement of fact, not aspiration or goal.

Whenever I hear we want proof, I really hear - show me your hand so we can better defend ourselves against what you already know. Not falling for that one. There are too many lurkers on these boards and others that only screenshot stuff and send it in to headquarters looking for brownie points. This used to be a rumor. But when a another message board owner was called asking to divulge my name and location because I was hitting too close to home, I knew then all these boards were being watched. Free, but not really free. He didn't do it, and for that I was grateful. But I learned from that never tip your whole hand. Ever.

Another thing that struck me as strange. I have been on the boards for a long time. There are many savvy business people here, not just coaches and athletes. Only recently in discussions have people started calling Varsity an oligopoly vs a monopoly. Always from someone that either worked for Varsity, or stood to benefit from being somehow tethered to Varsity. In short, it sounds like a talking points memo, drafted from a legal point of view.

***Once again - as a disclaimer - we are not attacking anyone. Simply having an adult discussion. Just because my experiences are not your experiences does not mean my experiences are not valid nor are yours. They are simply different.***
Amen!
I never understood why one is attacked for having an opinion or viewpoint that might differ from that of someone else. It is best to always keep an open mind and that means sometimes you have to read between the lines and do a little research.
And, as I alluded to in an earlier post, I'm in full agreement that it is not safe to post everything here.
That said, mine is retired, so I am slowly becoming a bit more willing to speak my mind after years of biting my tongue at what I saw.

I previously decided against spending the time to post the things I found when researching Varsity's business practices. But one who is fairly "Google savvy" can find many, many lawsuits filed by Varsity against competing cheer uniform companies. Their most recent lawsuit, which is ongoing, is over another company having similar-to-Varsity's uniform patterns in their catalog. And we aren't talking about graphics or even original designs (Varsity does NOT claim the designs they copyrighted were original). They are sueing because this other company used stripes and color blocks on SCHOOL cheer uniforms making them look similar to the copyrighted Varsity school cheer uniforms...
I remember that! So glad they lost.

I have heard about this happening to people.

Varsity appealed and the decision was overturned in their favor. The other company appealed to the US Supreme Court in January to decide on the case. I believe that is still ongoing.
Ridiculous! If that isn't tyranny, I don't know what is.

In less than 20 years, there will be nothing left but Varsity. At least that's how my pessimistic side feels. People keep falling for their bait.

I think the most disturbing thing is that they have a hand in cheer insurance.

Last edited:
Like I've stated before, I'm not anti-Varsity. They saw an opportunity and went for it. Isn't that what many call the American Dream?!?

I just want to call a spade a spade.

Kudos for building something and influencing an activity my CP loves. Just be realistic with what it is. I've been in business for decades, and involved with numerous organizations to know there's always an underbelly to it. It's just the reality of the matter.

As long as my kids are safe, and having fun I'm not complaining. However, that won't stop me for enjoying a healthy discussion. No reason to be fearful if nobody has done anything wrong or has anything to hide.

Back