All-Star Restricting Tumbling To Your All Star Gym Only??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@tumbleyoda I hear what your saying but I still disagree. When my daughter tumbled at another gym, it's because our allstar gym was 52 miles away. We would have preferred to tumble at our gym, however alot of the kids lived far away. Anyhow, we chose to to utilize a gym with a tumbling coach we have known in our home town. And when she went to open gym, it wasn't for their help (and they really were only there to supervise open gym), but for the use of the floor to work on what she already learned, or jumps or whatever.

Now, did the gym try and recruit her....all the time. They are a business too. We weren't offended AND at the end of the day they knew we weren't leaving. Not to sound like a snob, but she cheered for Top Gun..why on God's green earth would she leave there...LOL.

Now when she comes home from college, she tumbles at another local allstar gym whose coaches cheer for Top Gun. There can be peace and harmony between gyms.

You stated something here that goes to the core of this policy in my opinion. A Program like TG, WC, CA, Rays, MD Twisters etc.... would not need a policy like this. There would be no need.. They are the best of the best.. The team is comprised of kids that travel a bit to attend the program, knowing they are part of the best and are probably some of the top cheerleader in the area before walking in the door and because they did. I m sure when your child walked into another gym, as a member of TG, she was quite proud of that, and knew what she was there to do. To keep working a skill that Victor and the coaches of TG started her on. You and her were aware that there would be recruiting going on and were able to handle it.. Like you said you were already a part of TG. The same issue happened with my CP living over an hr away from WC sometimes she would want to tumble with some of her friends from school. When she walked into the local gym she was, no pun intended, a star.

Now if you look at it the other way, what if you are part of a small and up and coming gym. That is working hard to try and get the staff to compete with the TG's, WC's, CA's, Ray's, Twisters of the world. The level 5 team consists of 1 or 2 fulls, lay outs and tucks. If your CP had some advanced skills and she went to a gym like TG. She may be one of the top athletes at your current gym but when she is at TG she is one of many with advanced skills. Victor would not have to say a word to her to try and recruit her. She would tumble and start working on the skill her current coach was teaching her and with a couple of adjustments by the TG staff the form is now beautiful. Her confidence is now higher than ever. You know that the car ride home would be a conversation like, " Mom I loved it there"... "The kids have so much skill"... "Do you know they how many times they won worlds?"... "Did you see Shane's pass".. "OMG Victor is so HOT"... " I only wish they had AC but it was so Cool" and so on. The next thing you know you are taking her back again and again. Now because you are not a part of this gym you as a parent you start thinking why not. The next thing you know you are.

I know we did not start up at WC. We were part of some small start up gyms. Here today and gone tomorrow. The goal of these gyms were to be "like WC" or to be able to "Beat WC". It was after 4 years that I came to the conclusion, why don't we just go to WC and we became a part of WC for the next 10 years.

I can understand why some gyms have this policy, for many reasons. But the fact is there are gyms that do not need them as well. And you are correct there can be peace and harmony between gyms but I find it only when there is alumni from one program to the other as you stated.

I drive over an hour to practice but when there is just tumbling and no practice i don't like to go cause its a far drive to just tumble for a hour or so. If i want to tumble really bad ill go to the gym thats only a half hour away. but when i go on vacation i go to the gym near by and tumble and work out there. my gym doesnt have a problem with that.

Which is why we have a disclaimer "signature" at the bottom of all of our emails that reads:

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the sender and delete the message and material from all computers.

Kinda hard to quote a dislaimer about person to which it was addressed when it addressed to "undisclosed recipient"

Playing devil's advocate: Our gym strongly prefers we do all of our tumbling in house. Although it would be nice to be without any tumbling restrictions I choose to stay at our gym. The owner & Coaches are amazing. They have have not only helped their tumbling and cheer skills, but they have also helped build my kids' self esteem, confidence, and social skills. They have made so many close friends at cheer. I have pictures of them with their same group of friends when they started show team through moving up to level 3. They have developed strong bonds with staff, friends, and friends' families. For these reasons we respect their wishes in regards to tumbling in house. I do understand that exceptions should be made for people who have to drive long distances for cheer.

The gym that is being criticized is not my kid's gym. I was just looking at their request from a different angle. And I am quite aware that kids from all sports have private speed, agility, pitching,etc coaches. And good for them. I never said that this shouldn't be done. I did say that I hoped the gym that forbids this had explained the reason why (and I hope the reason is not money or fear driven).

But , if my child played basketball for Mike Krzyzewski, or football for Bear Bryant, or tumbled with Bela Karolyi and they asked me not to take the athlete to another coach... I would not. Gotta respect the people that you pay to know what they are doing. And if you don't like their expert opinion...go somewhere else.

Do I like the way their rules were communicated...no. But it's their business to loose.

I know plenty of girls who left Bela.

I just don't understand the scope of where, your jurisdiction over their choices end and begin. Like, as long as they are fullfilling their obligation to your program financially & to their team - I don't think you can put additional limitations on athletes... what's next? mandating they can only wear gym colors..
Well that's completely different. It's impossible to get hurt by wearing a different gym's colors.

So I was wondering do they tell you what you can and can't eat; and even sell it to you too? That would be awesome! I'm starting to like you cheer here so guess what you can only tumble here too....

NOT.
I would leave the gym if that was the case at my daughters gym.

Also if it's about injury let me guess this is also implying no tumbling on your mats or trampolines at home since there is no coach from the gym.

The reason I ask is because my CPs gym teaches my daughter everything. However, I have a regular mat and a $370 cheese mat set up in my living room for my CP who tumbles all day and night! Before she had her BHS by herself she threw it like 1,000,000 times at my house on the mats. The first time she did it right by herself with the correct technique was at my house. The first time she threw a BHS series(2) by herself was at the house. The next day at her tumbling class they asked the 4 other girls who are all on JR3 and are older then my CP to throw 3 BHS in a row as a warm-up. One girl who always ask for a spot on the first few she throws took the coach and they were like Jaylen well hold on I'll do her and then I'll spot you. My CP said, "I can do it by myself." They didn't believe it and were like ok go ahead, she busted all 3 out- pretty sure they were surprised! If it wasn't for my daughter practicing else where she wouldn't have picked it up so quickly. Now I'm no tumbling coach so I don't feel confident with my daughter throwing a skill she doesn't have at all. Like some of the coaches have been working my daughter on her tuck. Now we have mats and everything and my CP keeps asking me to spot her on a tuck and I refuse. It's not like my daughter has it and needs a light spot or is very close. My daughter still needs a lot of skill and technique taught before she is there so until then I limit my CP only to the gym for this skill until she has a better understanding for it. I'm sure any non janky bootleg gym is atleast smart as I am and as long as they are spotting or supervising a skill that someone has already been taught then the risk of injury is not there or limited the same exact risk as if it was performed in your gym. I'm also sure as parents we would not want an injury just as much as our all star gym and you can trust we take every precaution to prevent that.

All that being said my daughter practicing at home is more dangerous then another gym. I'm sure they would prevent me on that as well. Although if I want to take my daughter a quarter of the mile from the gym down to a gymnastics place right after cheer practice that's my prerogative.

I'm also sure as parents we would not want an injury just as much as our all star gym and you can trust we take every precaution to prevent that.

This. ^^^ Times 15645165451231613513513.

To the gym: I promise you, as her mom, I want to see my daughter get hurt significantly less than you do. As a gym, you have a financial interest in her not getting hurt...I have my heart and soul in her not getting hurt. I would never, and I repeat never, take her somewhere I didn't trust with everything I have. Does that mean she's never going to get hurt? Of course not...but it means it's no more likely than at your gym.

Also if it's about injury let me guess this is also implying no tumbling on your mats or trampolines at home since there is no coach from the gym.

The reason I ask is because my CPs gym teaches my daughter everything. However, I have a regular mat and a $370 cheese mat set up in my living room for my CP who tumbles all day and night! Before she had her BHS by herself she threw it like 1,000,000 times at my house on the mats. The first time she did it right by herself with the correct technique was at my house. The first time she threw a BHS series(2) by herself was at the house. The next day at her tumbling class they asked the 4 other girls who are all on JR3 and are older then my CP to throw 3 BHS in a row as a warm-up. One girl who always ask for a spot on the first few she throws took the coach and they were like Jaylen well hold on I'll do her and then I'll spot you. My CP said, "I can do it by myself." They didn't believe it and were like ok go ahead, she busted all 3 out- pretty sure they were surprised! If it wasn't for my daughter practicing else where she wouldn't have picked it up so quickly. Now I'm no tumbling coach so I don't feel confident with my daughter throwing a skill she doesn't have at all. Like some of the coaches have been working my daughter on her tuck. Now we have mats and everything and my CP keeps asking me to spot her on a tuck and I refuse. It's not like my daughter has it and needs a light spot or is very close. My daughter still needs a lot of skill and technique taught before she is there so until then I limit my CP only to the gym for this skill until she has a better understanding for it. I'm sure any non janky bootleg gym is atleast smart as I am and as long as they are spotting or supervising a skill that someone has already been taught then the risk of injury is not there or limited the same exact risk as if it was performed in your gym. I'm also sure as parents we would not want an injury just as much as our all star gym and you can trust we take every precaution to prevent that.

All that being said my daughter practicing at home is more dangerous then another gym. I'm sure they would prevent me on that as well. Although if I want to take my daughter a quarter of the mile from the gym down to a gymnastics place right after cheer practice that's my prerogative.

When I coached gymnastics we had a "no tumbling at home/using backyard trampolines" clause in our contract. We didn't want kids getting hurt. Sure, the mats you buy from DGS/9.9s, Mancino, Tiffin or Norberts are the exact same mats that are in the gym....the difference is that at home they're on a carpet so they slide when you're tumbling or they're on concrete in your basement. In the gym, they're on top of carpet foam or a spring floor. In the gym there aren't any obstacles in the way, darn those pesky coffee tables breaking feet when we're trying to do standing tucks in the living room! It's not just that the coaches are worried about the kids trying a skill they aren't ready for and getting hurt....it's all the other stuff. Backyard tumbling is the scariest....an unseen dip in the ground can be a blown ACL. I knocked out my two front teeth doing a BHS, BHS, Layout in my backyard when my foot slipped on the grass setting for the layout....it was a BHS, BHS, back face flop.

I think its good once in a while to have a change of pace from what your used to, its could be that extra push to get that one skill you've been working on. However, I do see the downside to this, with safety and technique issues. My tumbling instructor comes to my house (I know... everyone thinks its very odd) and brings mats to tumble on, and I progressed so much, but I couldn't get my pass that I wanted, so I took one clinic at my gym and I got the pass I was working on in a hour. Sometimes a change of pace is good. But, on the other hand, my HS team makes us tumble with this guy who is supposedly really good, but he teaches the wrong technique for rebounds (he teaches to hallow out during a rebound) and it has actually lead to two injuries (a concussion and a broken hand) and my tumbling instructor really dislikes how we have to go to him. So theres good and bad with this situation.

A couple of years ago our gym restricted where you could go for tumbling. It wasnt a total ban, but there was a ban for one gym where there was a bad relationship and another gym wouldnt allow anyone from our gym to tumble there (that may still be the case). It never made sense to me - the result was that athletes who live hour to hours away from their gym who go to their own teams gym 3-4 times a week just cant do any extra tumbling since it isnt feasible for them to go more days than that.

When I coached gymnastics we had a "no tumbling at home/using backyard trampolines" clause in our contract. We didn't want kids getting hurt. Sure, the mats you buy from DGS/9.9s, Mancino, Tiffin or Norberts are the exact same mats that are in the gym....the difference is that at home they're on a carpet so they slide when you're tumbling or they're on concrete in your basement. In the gym, they're on top of carpet foam or a spring floor. In the gym there aren't any obstacles in the way, darn those pesky coffee tables breaking feet when we're trying to do standing tucks in the living room! It's not just that the coaches are worried about the kids trying a skill they aren't ready for and getting hurt....it's all the other stuff. Backyard tumbling is the scariest....an unseen dip in the ground can be a blown ACL. I knocked out my two front teeth doing a BHS, BHS, Layout in my backyard when my foot slipped on the grass setting for the layout....it was a BHS, BHS, back face flop.

All that makes sense. Although that coffee table you were talking about got moved out when she was practicing her back walkover. It now sits in the closet and all her shoes line up on top and bottom of it! Plus there is no tv in the living room since we moved i just put it in her room. So pretty much it's just two couches and a chair!
Honestly while my daughter is as little as she is now the cheese mat that's at then end of the regular mat are both wide enough if she fell eithier way she would still be on them. Also they have never slid and i haven't had a problem with it. Maybe my daughter doesn't weigh enough yet or have enough power to do that?

As she gets bigger the in house tumbling she does will probably be limited! Also my daughter won't even try a BHS outside. Her friends begged her too and she said she didn't want to get hurt. Although it's weird because she will do back walkovers up and down the arena hall when were waiting at competitions which I remind her is concrete floor but she thinks she can do it!

So looking at that aspect I understand why they don't want you to do it at home. To me I don't agree with them stating no other gyms as I don't think is any more of a risk for injury then while in their gym!

Back