All-Star Ridiculous Scores

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 3, 2010
I'm completely over these scores for teams this season. This whole system is crazy! How do team go from scoring low 96's, 95's, to getting a 98 or 99 the next weekend?! I love TGLC, LOVE them, but realistically, that routine is not 99 worthy. No one in that division has a 99 worthy routine. Stars getting a 10 on their dance? We all know that's a lie. I can't even wrap my head around this.

It is kinda like in gymnastics when their was an outrageous amount of 10's being scored...so they changed the scoring system and now we don't have that problem anymore.

It is kinda like in gymnastics when their was an outrageous amount of 10's being scored...so they changed the scoring system and now we don't have that problem anymore.
But then we still have those people that are like "She/he deserved a 10!" Like I believe McKayla Maroney should have gotten a perfect score on her vault... Still bitter about that but there are always going to be people that disagree about scoring. There sometimes may or may not be a happy medium.

This wasn't solely directed at you just kinda to the whole thread in general! :)

Scoring can be way worse in rec, since there are so many different score sheets out there.

A few years ago, we put out a perfect routine, level 4 stunts, full team tumbling, etc. Only problem-- one girl lost a bow. Our skills were far above any other team that comp, and like I said, we hit. We ended up getting 4th place that day. Behind teams with no tumbling and their hardest stunt was a shoulder sit. Behind teams with falls to the floor. The parents were stunned, the coaches were livid, and the girls were bawling.

I saw a coach form another team consoling girls as they walked to the parking lot. "Rough day for you too?" I asked. "Yeah," she said,"We ended up with a negative score. In all my years of coaching, I've never seen scoring like this!" It was a weird, sad day.

That's one reason I like gymnastics scoring better. Going into a routine you know what exactly your score should be (without deductions of course). Cheerleading has so much room for "subjectivity"...I really don't like ranges. That's me though. Full squad skills should max (tumbling at least) not 75% or majority. I understand dance/motions/transitions/overall impression/etc being subjective, but SKILLS should be more clearly defined and scored appropriately. Just my opinion though.

Also, I've been to two varsity events in the past month and have seen the same teams at both events (neither team changed their routine). Team A had the HIGHEST RAW SCORE in the division at the first event, and the LOWEST at the second one. Team B's raw score varied by 5 points....how is that possible?

Scores are subjective to whoever is judging. Makes perfect sense to me! The judges gave high scores to the team they love and hit.

But it has been all season long with different judges and events. I can see slight fluctuations, but the same routine having a score a couple of points higher seems ridiculous to me. I believe a lot of teams are scoring way too high on the varsity score sheet this season.

But it has been all season long with different judges and events. I can see slight fluctuations, but the same routine having a score a couple of points higher seems ridiculous to me. I believe a lot of teams are scoring way too high on the varsity score sheet this season.

Agreed 100%

It is completely out of control. I'm sorry but a dance that scored 6th out of 6 teams at NCA should not receive a perfect score at UCA. I don't care if they "cleaned it up" it's been 5 days...

Also, I've been to two varsity events in the past month and have seen the same teams at both events (neither team changed their routine). Team A had the HIGHEST RAW SCORE in the division at the first event, and the LOWEST at the second one. Team B's raw score varied by 5 points....how is that possible?
"Raw score" is simply the score before the deductions are taken out. Difficulty is only a fraction of that score. Different performances of the same routine can theoretically have wild fluctuations of the same raw score.

"Raw score" is simply the score before the deductions are taken out. Difficulty is only a fraction of that score. Different performances of the same routine can theoretically have wild fluctuations of the same raw score.
Exactly why I prefer the way gymnastics is scored. While I understand that allowing a variety of skills to count for the same amount of difficulty (it allows for more freedom with routine creativity), I would still prefer there to be a more standard/definite scoring. I'm not a big fan of "well we 'should' max out, but we'll definitely be in the high range". I want to be sure that what I do will max out a score sheet, not just score in the high range.
Granted it could be that the judges need better training (or more consistent training I guess would be more appropriate). Just my opinion though.

Back