All-Star Rotating Hips in toe touch

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I had someone stand behind me when I was jumping and knock my legs up when I hit the peak of my jump. Sounds weird, but it works. They do it a lot at the gym to help girls see how much higher they could be getting their legs. It gets you aquatinted with the feeling of jumping like that so you can try to do it on your own. Just kind of a tap upward underneath both my thighs rotated my hips out and got them a good distance past level. Have the spotter person grab your waist when you land so you don't fall.

You ultimately want your knees facing behind you. Then you want to pull your butt under. Everyone always focuses on not stickng their butt out, but you want to pull it under you. Usually when someone rotates their hips correctly foe the first time, they land funny or fall on their butt because it's difficult to "unrotate" them again.

sit on the ground in a straddle with your hands on the floor in front of you, lift your legs with toes pointed and move your legs in backwards circles (10-15). Do that twice a day and you will start to rotate in your jumps. Also doing jumps on the trampoline helped me learn to rotate because I could actually have some time to so my hips could get the feel of it. Hope this helps.

I'm going to explain this in like kinda dancer-ish. lol.
i used to do ballet and the when you go to hit your toe touch you have to think about being in first position turn out. which has the hips open as far as you are able to open them on your own..
so just stand up and turn both of your feet out/away from your body so that your toes point sideways. thats the position you should try to be in when you do your toe touch.
dont start your jump like that mind you... just focus on the turn out or opening your hips by rotating your legs outward. which will make your toetouch look how it's supposed to.

i never liked the explanation "sit in your jumps" because it doesnt explain what to do technically IMO....

you might feel yourself fall backward a couple times (which is the "sitting" you'll hear people mention because in opening your hips that way they wil rotate under you slightly) until you get used to what it feels like but that basically it. once you get control over it you'll be golden.\
=-]

I'm going to explain this in like kinda dancer-ish. lol.
i used to do ballet and the when you go to hit your toe touch you have to think about being in first position turn out. which has the hips open as far as you are able to open them on your own..
so just stand up and turn both of your feet out/away from your body so that your toes point sideways. thats the position you should try to be in when you do your toe touch.
dont start your jump like that mind you... just focus on the turn out or opening your hips by rotating your legs outward. which will make your toetouch look how it's supposed to.

i never liked the explanation "sit in your jumps" because it doesnt explain what to do technically IMO....

you might feel yourself fall backward a couple times (which is the "sitting" you'll hear people mention because in opening your hips that way they wil rotate under you slightly) until you get used to what it feels like but that basically it. once you get control over it you'll be golden.\
=-]

I was just about to make a ballet analogy...except more about the tucking your butt under stance, first position is good too :)

Speaking from a gym that is known for their jumps...
Phoebe does probably 70-100 jumps each practice (not surprised I had to do the same amount of high kicks for kickline in HS). Before she does them she sits on the floor in a straddle and puts her chest on the floor, then one of the coaches will turn her feet up and back. Then they stand and do single leg kicks to the side. When they start their jump practice every jump must have toes pointed and up or they have to start all over again. The first practice Phoebe almost started crying because her legs hurt so bad....
So I would say repetition, repetition, repetition....Her jumps look amazing compared to last season.

okay this is going to sound really weird... but when a choreographer came in to help our team, he told us to act like you're trying to face your buttcrack to the audience, if that makes sense. it seems weird at first, but when you actually try to do it, it helps!

okay this is going to sound really weird... but when a choreographer came in to help our team, he told us to act like you're trying to face your buttcrack to the audience, if that makes sense. it seems weird at first, but when you actually try to do it, it helps!

I was just about to say that!! Lol think about pushing your butt underneath of you. It really works!! That's the only way I could get my hips to rotate. If only I could remember that in the routine...lol

im going to try all these on the trampoline and see what happens, at least if i fall on my bum it wont hurt :)

Another great way to get your hips rotating is to sit on the ground in a straddle and do your toe touch while sitting. Lift your legs up as if you were doing the jump in the air. Its hard and really works your hip flexers and core, which will give you the strength needed to get your legs up and hyper extended.

Back