All-Star Routines OVER 2:30

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well the "rule" is 2:30, but most competitions have a grace period of three to 5 seconds before they penalize for it... King I am shocked this is news to you... Robyn and I have discussed it many times when we are pushed for time, I thought it was something coaches were all aware of

This isn't news to me, but what is the point of a rule with a grace period? Its the same as having different legalities for different competitions (or even different scoresheets). If one competition has a grace period of 2 seconds and another competition has a grace period of 5 seconds then it is not standard, therefor one thing is illegal at one comp that is illegal at another comp. If you had read Rich's rant (probably directed at no one in particular) it did make sense... although it has blinders on it and he was possibly overly focussed on one team. All I was suggesting is that the technology is no longer the reason for a grace period (the original reason because tape players did used to play at different speeds) and it should be standard. If the rule is 2:30, then a grace period is no longer necessary. Technology isnt the limitting factor. If the idea that people should be competing 2:30 of actual cheerleading then make the rule 2:31 or 2 or 3 seconds, but a grey area is just that, grey. An area for someone to complain about. You, of all people, who wants a universal scoresheet should agree things should be standardized and written down.

NCA - http://www.nca.varsity.com/pdfs/asn_reg.pdf

The NCA registration form shows you have to sign an agreement that your music is no longer than 2:30.

So, I ask, is this grace period just a known thing (meaning it is not transcribed anywhere)? How long is it? Is it longer at certain competitions than others? If you were to get called on it at a competition would you complain that your music is within the grace period? Would you argue there is blank space? What is the purpose of blank space nowadays?

And lastly, if a grace period isnt written down how do you keep one gym(or individual team) from getting a longer grace period than others? It is not written so some might get more leeway than others?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

And part of it is human error music does not start at 0:00 so it has to be timed and even if you could go off of the music player that would either require the music station to be on the judges stand or have a separate judge at the music booth just for timing... Neither of which seem very appealing I'm sure

And part of it is human error music does not start at 0:00 so it has to be timed and even if you could go off of the music player that would either require the music station to be on the judges stand or have a separate judge at the music booth just for timing... Neither of which seem very appealing I'm sure

Blankspace can be removed from music and NCA keeps all music on a computer when you perform ( the smartest way to do it) so the time of the music on your computer in MP3 format is the same on their mac with itunes. So someone who is computer savvy, removes all blank space can technically have a routine that is 2.99 seconds longer than anyone elses.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

On actual enforcement, anyone known anyone actualy that has been called on this recently?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

I just don't understand why this matters... There are rules in place and everyone has the same rules... I know at every competition I have judged someone is keeping time of routines, so what's the issue really?

I know on Jam, the "grace period" is shown on the deduction score-sheet. It is not a written rule... Cheer Deduction Sheet states:

.1 pt deduction for 6-10 seconds over
.3 pt deduction for 11-15 seconds over
.5 pt deduction for 16+ seconds over
Time of Routine: _______________

CEA's music seems over time, but it is really not. The speed of all of their crossovers running on and off the mat during the routine builds up a time vortex which distorts all stopwatches in the arena. This is also what allows Maddie enough air time to complete her stunt.

ehhh, im editing your message. because it doesn't add anything to the conversation. -that guy

I just don't understand why this matters... There are rules in place and everyone has the same rules... I know at every competition I have judged someone is keeping time of routines, so what's the issue really?

Because it's a message board and half the stuff everyone argues about doesn't matter?? That is like getting upset that there is a preseason large senior poll on a message board. Its a community forum, we discuss to discuss.

But, not everyone has the same rules. Whats legal at Jam (which is written to judges I guess but not to the public, that is odd) is not legal at NCA. So, essentially, one routine is legal over here but not legal other places.

Is CheerSports written down anywhere? And does Allstar Challenge have a different timing system because they have a different scoresheet?

i guess this is another reason why a standard score sheet would come in handy... because there would be a standard deduction.... not that it would be taken... but at least it would be documented for everyone

Americheer this weekend deducted 10 points to anyone who was over 2:32 -There was a 2 second grace period!

Back