All-Star Routines OVER 2:30

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From what I can muster up in this post, it is not an obsession. Just someone legitimately looking for answers and raising questions on this board. It's like every time I log on, people become more and more sensitive.

Long story short, I disagree with a "grace" period, but believe there should be a "warning". At UCA high school, your "warning" is your regional qualifier, where they time your music. If it's over time, you have until nationals to fix it. I know some of these nationals don't have a "qualifier" but warm-ups is a fine enough time to have someone with a stopwatch judge if you need to cut some of your 'very sad celine dion song followed by a voiceover about x'ing us out' (all in good fun, CEA fans ;) )

Thanks Katie for focusing on the topic. It shouldn't be about a team or gym and there are valid points to be made.

So maybe its the digital age. Just judge by the CD player. if the song says anything past 2:31 you deduct? Seems like this would be an easy rule to declare and judge on.

BUT if its going to be more hardcore enforced let me make a suggestion..

ANNOUNCE THIS IN JANUARY FOR THE FOLLOWING SEASON.

I never even knew there was a legitimate "rule" against it, I always thought it was just an average. My bad!
And I think I've actually known routines that were 2:36...

I never even knew there was a legitimate "rule" against it, I always thought it was just an average. My bad!
And I think I've actually known routines that were 2:36...

Im turning you in.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

As a music producer, I make sure my clients final product FILE is timed under 2:30. If the count sheets they provide me with cause the routine to go over, I contact them and ask what they'd like me to do. Speed up running tumbling, dance, take out an 8 count etc. I have never had a client tell me they want the music to go over by a few seconds because of a grace period, ever. Most say up front they want the mix to end at 2:26-2:27.

You can't just go by the cd player because the track starts anywhere from 1-5 seconds after it starts timing

You can't just go by the cd player because the track starts anywhere from 1-5 seconds after it starts timing

Its digital. All music makers would just start removing the blank space. There is no need for pre-roll anymore.

Its digital. All music makers would just start removing the blank space. There is no need for pre-roll anymore.

Right. I just take out most of the blank space, or all if necessary. Sometimes I've cut off the final sound effect half way through and faded it out early just to squeak under that 2:30 mark lol.

Unless you think a dude with a stopwatch timing 8 hours a day is more accurate.

Or your concerned with tge quality of CD players used at events.

how about when the voiceover starts before the athletes actually begin, or when the dance ends and there is 3+ seconds of a "boom" or noise and that puts the routine over 2:30?

just curious what you guys think....

how about when the voiceover starts before the athletes actually begin, or when the dance ends and there is 3+ seconds of a "boom" or noise and that puts the routine over 2:30?

just curious what you guys think....

If there are grey areas people will exploit them. Make it a set time. Routines will adjust. People will complain one year and then it will just be.

Sent from my Galaxt Tab

If you have a three second grace period and people use two seconds of it it's ok with me... I would rather have the grace period so with the second you stand to count in before your first motion and then the 1 second of fade out at the end of the routine you are actually getting a 2 minute and 30 second routine which is what cheerleading is supposed to be IMO... Start being super strict about 2:30 and people will claim that it's 2:30 on their stereo because most don't read tenths of seconds but the big receivers at comps do, and people will start cutting their routine off at 2:28-2:29 to be safe so we will end up losing 4 to 8 counts of a routine, and it would require another official at the music stand who would have to be paid. Plus I think it will start a lot of arguments that someone will have to deal with if you start being super strict... If the rule is 2:30 but you have a 2-5 second grace period (depending on the competition) you don't have to worry about any arguments because if you are an entire 2 or more seconds over time it's obviously not a matter of the timer or the radio or whatever else

If you have a three second grace period and people use two seconds of it it's ok with me... I would rather have the grace period so with the second you stand to count in before your first motion and then the 1 second of fade out at the end of the routine you are actually getting a 2 minute and 30 second routine which is what cheerleading is supposed to be IMO... Start being super strict about 2:30 and people will claim that it's 2:30 on their stereo because most don't read tenths of seconds but the big receivers at comps do, and people will start cutting their routine off at 2:28-2:29 to be safe so we will end up losing 4 to 8 counts of a routine, and it would require another official at the music stand who would have to be paid. Plus I think it will start a lot of arguments that someone will have to deal with if you start being super strict... If the rule is 2:30 but you have a 2-5 second grace period (depending on the competition) you don't have to worry about any arguments because if you are an entire 2 or more seconds over time it's obviously not a matter of the timer or the radio or whatever else

So if the rule is no longer than 2:31 (which would cover all radios that read 2:30) would that rule suffice to you? Cause otherwise I would like to know the exact grace period and use it to my full advantage. If it is 5 seconds... well thats 2 extra 8 counts easy.

In other sports where there is a time limit there will be an audible beep tone at the start of the routine to signal when the routine starts. It is at that point that the timing judge starts the clock. I often wondered why cheer never went to that.

Well the "rule" is 2:30, but most competitions have a grace period of three to 5 seconds before they penalize for it... King I am shocked this is news to you... Robyn and I have discussed it many times when we are pushed for time, I thought it was something coaches were all aware of

Back