All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I guess I'm confused what the difference between this and the other way is for double ups because they do it just like all of the other teams. I remember seeing somewhere that the backspot starts in the main base spot and GW's backspots started in the side base spot, which is what the other grip is.

The way I'm thinking of (the ruby slipper grip), the tope feet are in that "T" position with the heels touching. The other ways I've seen, their feet are either crossed or the bases release the feet completely. I do believe the hand grip is different on the first grip (heels touching) for doubles than for full ups, but the tops are starting in that foot position.

..Are they stunting in a racquet ball court? lol

We´ve been practicing the past season in a racquet ball court with our junior groupstunt. Gym times are rare and needed for team practices, and it´s high enough for baskets and one stuntgroup doesn´t need too much space. Wouldn´t let them practice without spotter though, stunting with no mats needs to be spotted.

I just want to say how smart y'all are...
Yesterday because I wanted to really see the differences in our routines and if the change y'all mentioned made sense.
I went and watched more old videos
Two seasons ago our j4 did not cross there legs in any of them in the stunt or pyramid

But this past season they did.

Although I could not tell the difference immediately I do see how the crossed legs makes it spin a little faster and maybe just because the team they did it crossing legs was smaller I did think it looked more controlled. Like when it stopped it stopped .. Not sure if that makes sense lol.

So I actually don't mind the crossed legs but can see how it makes it easier. The new grip that's referenced here though is super confusing I'll have to wait till I see that video but I just want to say thanks to everyone who gave me a nice lesson yesterday on full ups and stuff
When I taught the new grip it was more for stability because the secondary never lets go. I don't notice any faster of a spin, it just makes them fool proof - well 98% of the time haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I miss the old full ups and one and a half ups. The cross leg ones are the ones we teach on staff so I've gotten used to them but I still prefer the "traditional" or "original" way because that's what I did for my five years of cheer.

We tried the ruby slipper grip with my Junior 3 team for half up to lib and full up to lib and they like it, but due to base/backspot height differences it really isn't practical for some of our groups. We're also using it with my youth 2 team. It is going to take a while to get used to but I can see solid progress with them already which is wonderful because most of the athletes were level 1 last year so this is all new to them.

I miss the old full ups and one and a half ups. The cross leg ones are the ones we teach on staff so I've gotten used to them but I still prefer the "traditional" or "original" way because that's what I did for my five years of cheer.

We tried the ruby slipper grip with my Junior 3 team for half up to lib and full up to lib and they like it, but due to base/backspot height differences it really isn't practical for some of our groups. We're also using it with my youth 2 team. It is going to take a while to get used to but I can see solid progress with them already which is wonderful because most of the athletes were level 1 last year so this is all new to them.

What staff teaches cross leg?

I think for the first stunt the ruby slipper full up grip is used.
This makes the person in the back the main base, the one to the left the side base and the one to the right the back base.

The UCA camp we attended last month taught full ups the "original" way with the main base turning her fingers toward her belly button and side base releasing.

The UCA camp we attended last month taught full ups the "original" way with the main base turning her fingers toward her belly button and side base releasing.

UCA is pretty traditional and will probably teach the same way for a while. NCA is a bit more progressive.

And, in the end, if it scores the same do it the easier way!

the full up that spring teaches is not cross legged. the flyer stars with left toe facing the front and right toe facing the right side. the third starts out as the main, the main starts out as the side and the side starts outs as the third. so the entire base group turns 1/4

Back